• 3 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Sublime
  • 1 Post By emu
  • 5 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Sublime

Thread: MOD safety question

AVF Regular

MOD safety question

Hey... is it safe to leave the RX in the car while I'm at work? Or will the 18650 batteries overheat and explode or something?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Awww, come on Staceman! You are just setting up witnesses for your insurance claim and a new car. Check the safety data on the recommended operating/storage conditions for the batts. Or sneak it in with you.
    trumpy955, emu and staceman101 like this.
    Most metaphors do not bear up to close scrutiny

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    Hey... is it safe to leave the RX in the car while I'm at work? Or will the 18650 batteries overheat and explode or something?
    No lithium batteries should should be left in a hot place, like in a car during the day. It will damage them.
    DocM, trumpy955, rockmoose and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    After what I've witnessed my old Kbox75 doing over the last week, I'm starting to think it's not safe to leave any mod unattended with power.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    DocM and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    After what I've witnessed my old Kbox75 doing over the last week, I'm starting to think it's not safe to leave any mod unattended with power.
    Is it auto firing? The most likely reason is the circuit board is contaminated (juice, beer, sunday roast, whatever). Kanger stuff is super easy to pull apart and clean. Remove the screws holding the battery sled in, then slide it out being careful not to lose the springs that will want to pop out of the +ive contacts and roll under the table.

Inspect the switch, which will be a little block on the circuit board. If that is not physically damaged or cracked (the tiny lugs holding it together can break off if the button is hit hard enough or often enough) wash the board down with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or metho, let it dry thoroughly, then re-assemble.
    DocM, Sublime and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Is it auto firing? The most likely reason is the circuit board is contaminated (juice, beer, sunday roast, whatever). Kanger stuff is super easy to pull apart and clean. Remove the screws holding the battery sled in, then slide it out being careful not to lose the springs that will want to pop out of the +ive contacts and roll under the table.

Inspect the switch, which will be a little block on the circuit board. If that is not physically damaged or cracked (the tiny lugs holding it together can break off if the button is hit hard enough or often enough) wash the board down with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or metho, let it dry thoroughly, then re-assemble.
    Yes it is auto firing. I have already followed the above procedure twice without success. I haven't closely inspected the body of the switch though. Maybe I'll try that if I get bored enough today, but tbh I figured that in the name of self preservation, I should just leave sleeping dogs lie. Thanks Fab 💪

Last edited by Sublime; 29-10-17 at 11:26 AM.
    emu and staceman101 like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    If it's that hot I'd be more worried about the plastic warping out of shape than the batteries exploding, as Fab said heat could damage the batts though. My dash cam has never exploded and it's stuck to the windscreen in full sun with a lithium batt.
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    If it's that hot I'd be more worried about the plastic warping out of shape than the batteries exploding, as Fab said heat could damage the batts though. My dash cam has never exploded and it's stuck to the windscreen in full sun with a lithium batt.
    Yep, the batteries won't actually explode. I've never heard of that happening. It does seriously reduce their life though. After 12 months sitting in the sun behind laminated glass, you'll be lucky to get more than five or ten minutes run time out of them.

Pro tip: Buy a really good dash cam or GPS from Hardly Normal, and pay the bit extra for the Product Care warranty (2 years). Don't take the first price on product care they offer you but say "that's sounds expensive" and get them to reduce it. How much you pay for the product care will not affect the warranty - you've either got it or you haven't. Then, a few months before the end of the two years is up take it back in to the service department with your product care paperwork. Tell them it no longer holds a proper charge. They will test it (maybe) and then get the replacement issued for the same value that you paid in the first place. Buy the Product Care for the new one (it doesn't transfer from the dead one). Repeat ad nauseam, saving at least 80% on high end devices each time. It's probably a good idea to ask if internal (non replaceable) batteries are still covered each time, but I doubt they'll change that policy. (In my opionion the absolute best reason to get product care is internal batteries, which most things including a lot of laptops have now).

What they are gambling on is that people are slack and won't bring things back for replacement, or they lost the paperwork and don't know that the original store can look up the transaction if they have to (helps to remember the date you bought it.) Electronics less than $150RRP are not eligible for product care, that's why you buy something half decent rather than the sale bin. You don't have to get what they offer as replacement, you can upgrade or buy something completely different with the payout if you want.

A lot of people don't like Hardly Normal, or won't be bothered returning stuff for Product Care replacement. That's OK, but you can make the system work for you if you can be bothered (says the guy who usually can't be bothered ;-)
    DocM, Sublime, rockmoose and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    In my opionion the absolute best reason to get product care is internal batteries
    Where do I find one of these opium onions of which you speak? 😮

rockmoose and staceman101 like this.