Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Need help with Valkyrie firing buttons.

AVF Regular

Need help with Valkyrie firing buttons.

Hi guys. I was wondering if there might be someone here who is familiar with the hot button issue that is common with the Valkyrie mechanical mods, or maybe someone who's just generally clever with this kind of stuff.

I've had these puppies for years and they are still my favourite mod but every single one of them, after a few days of use, develops a hot firing button - too hot to touch and I presume a bit dangerous.

The firing button unscrews from the bottom and then a delrin insert has to be unscrewed using a pair of pliers. They're a bit of a complicated affair.

The following pics show the contact button after it has developed the problem. You can see the marks on them which are apparently related to an electrical arc that causes the button to heat up.

I've watched every youtube video about it and followed the instructions i.e. sanding the contact pin and removing the marks, and they work perfectly again, but only for a few days and then the same problem develops again.

I'd be willing to post the mods to someone who knows what they're doing, provided they've got a solid track record with AVF and aren't likely to steal them. I'm willing to offer the larger mod (18650) as payment if the 14500s can be fixed in a permanent kind of way.

Any good advice will also be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for reading anyway.
    DogMan, AllyP and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post

I'd be willing to post the mods to someone who knows what they're doing, provided they've got a solid track record with AVF and aren't likely to steal them. I'm willing to offer the larger mod (18650) as payment if the 14500s can be fixed in a permanent kind of way.
    Having had the pleasure of vaping on these beauties - I would be in like Finn for that deal, sadly I dont have a clue how to fix the issue definitely a job for one of the Vape Elders - Hope someone steps up to the challenge
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyP View Post
    Having had the pleasure of vaping on these beauties
    Those were the Titanides, possum. My Valkyries haven't worked for years now.

I'll let you hold one next catch-up. That's about all they're good for, lol.
    DogMan and AllyP like this.

AVF Regular
    bernie [studiovape] might help if you beg

but he does tend to make people really, really beg and grovel
    Rose and AllyP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Any good advice will also be gratefully accepted.
    Yes, it is from arcing. It must be the wrong type of brass to make a contact out of. The button heats up after it's marked up because it's making a higher resistance contact, and that resistance is what generates the heat.

You can fix the arcing issue by putting some of this on on the contacts: https://www.jaycar.com.au/conductive...e-50g/p/NA1034

I'd be inclined to put a good coating where the contact areas are.

It's a semi permanent fix, in as much as you will still need to clean them and re-apply the grease a couple of times a year.
    Rose, DogMan and AllyP like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yes, it is from arcing. It must be the wrong type of brass to make a contact out of. The button heats up after it's marked up because it's making a higher resistance contact, and that resistance is what generates the heat.

You can fix the arcing issue by putting some of this on on the contacts: https://www.jaycar.com.au/conductive...e-50g/p/NA1034

I'd be inclined to put a good coating where the contact areas are.

It's a semi permanent fix, in as much as you will still need to clean them and re-apply the grease a couple of times a year.
    Thanks Fab. I'll see if anyone offers any other tips, but I guess I could make my peace with having to disassemble the little buggers a few times a year instead of twice a week. For 10 bucks it's certainly worth a try.
    AllyP likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Fab. I'll see if anyone offers any other tips, but I guess I could make my peace with having to disassemble the little buggers a few times a year instead of twice a week. For 10 bucks it's certainly worth a try.
    I'll bring some to QVM
    AllyP likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    I'll bring some to QVM
    Woot! Thanks doggie. Any chance you could make me a little coil so I can try it out? Has to be over 1 ohm for the 14500s. I've forgotten how to do that for a hybrid. You can't test them on an ohms meter.
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    Woot! Thanks doggie. Any chance you could make me a little coil so I can try it out? Has to be over 1 ohm for the 14500s. I've forgotten how to do that for a hybrid. You can't test them on an ohms meter.
    Will do. And I'll bring a multimeter, which will be okay over 1 ohm
    Rose and AllyP like this.

AVF Regular
    Those were the Titanides, possum. My Valkyries haven't worked for years now.

I'll let you hold one next catch-up. That's about all they're good for, lol.
    Lol - I thought the brass just wasn't showing up in the pics - Blonde? not muchly!
    Rose and DogMan like this.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast