Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Options for a quadriplegic vaper

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Options for a quadriplegic vaper

Hey guys, I have an interesting question I’m hoping someone might be able to help with!

A friend of a friend is a quadriplegic due to a car accident, so has little to no use of his arms whatsoever. He used to vape, but has started smoking again (with the “help” of friends).

He is looking for a vape set up he could use. He was, pre-accident, using MTL pen-style. He needs something that doesn’t require the pressing of a button to fire/draw, and preferably something that could fit in some sort of holder. Does something like that even exist? Bonus points for anything with minimal maintenance (long-lasting coils, long-lasting battery etc)

AVF Regular
    Presumably, this person cannot smoke cigarettes unassisted, so why not vape with the same level of assistance?
    Also, it's my understanding that the patent on the chip required to vape without a fire button belongs to BT.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DanP View Post
    Hey guys, I have an interesting question I’m hoping someone might be able to help with!

A friend of a friend is a quadriplegic due to a car accident, so has little to no use of his arms whatsoever. He used to vape, but has started smoking again (with the “help” of friends).

He is looking for a vape set up he could use. He was, pre-accident, using MTL pen-style. He needs something that doesn’t require the pressing of a button to fire/draw, and preferably something that could fit in some sort of holder. Does something like that even exist? Bonus points for anything with minimal maintenance (long-lasting coils, long-lasting battery etc)
    I can hold an iCare mini in my teeth while driving, it's only about 38g. Auto switch and it does the job for the occasional toot at 24 or 28mg/ml.

It misses out on all your bonus points however, as it needs frequent filling and charging. I have a spare mouth piece and I've just filed some grooves in to make it easier to hold. Total hands free operation is something I've missed. It looks a bit stupid since it's wide, but what the hey...

It's also flat, so should be pretty easy to clamp in a holder of some kind. There's also the full size iCare with slightly bigger battery and tank, and several other devices which are auto fire and have a flat profile.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-11-17 at 02:18 PM.
    Fatman, btobw, DogMan and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I can hold an iCare mini in my teeth while driving, it's only about 38g. Auto switch and it does the job for the occasional toot at 24 or 28mg/ml.

It misses out on all your bonus points however, as it needs frequent filling and charging. I have a spare mouth piece and I've just filed some grooves in to make it easier to hold. Total hands free operation is something I've missed. It's looks a bit stupid since it's wide, but what hey...

It's also flat, so should be pretty easy to clamp in a holder of some kind. There's also the full size iCare with slightly bigger battery and tank, and several other devices which are auto fire and have a flat profile.
    I knew I should have just shut up and wait for fab 😆

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Crisscross and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    this question has come up before.
    quadriplegic needing help (edit: not a AFV page link sorry mods)

the only thing i could think of would be a custom made external pressure switch type system.
    blow into a secondary tube to activate a fire switch on the mod.

Something like the istick 100 TC with the massive fire button would seem to be simpler for that type of set up.
    As for the Tank a current gen tank with SS coils and a sterile vacuum tube connected to the 510 drip tip wouldnt be ideal but it would do the job.

(random thoughts... i wonder if would be possible to wire the mod to a cherry MX switch like they use for keyboards, those have low activation pressure)
    Last edited by Hoofprint; 15-11-17 at 02:17 PM.
    Fatman likes this.

Super Moderator
    Vaping with draw firing is as old as the hills

There are a few options ...
    eleaf make a few
    iCare Mini with PCC - Eleaf electronic cigarette
    Official eleafworld.com - iSmoka,Eleaf,iKit Automatic Battery

Fasttech has some as well
    https://www.fasttech.com/product/935...0mah-vaporizer

There are also a heap of cig-a-likes that are auto ...

I would think maybe the eleaf iCare ... they are so inexpensive ... that way he could have half a dozen primed and ready then mount a PCC kit to the stand and then his carers would only have to swap the actual vape unit out for a freshy ... that way one carer can prepare for the day , and then anyone can slip the used unit out and slap in a fresh one
    with PCC
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...c-15w-320mah-e

spare units for changing
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...ah-e-cigarette

you could couple these with a modified tablet stand or similar

edit snafu'ed by Fab ( as always ) but in my defense I was looking at "stuff"
    Last edited by Fatman; 15-11-17 at 02:33 PM.
    Crisscross, Rose, btobw and 3 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I knew I should have just shut up and wait for fab ��
    LOLs

Just to add, I think a harp (harmonica) neck holder would work for these flat devices.

I can see that working with two iCares jammed in there (1 each side). Maybe beef up the springs if necessary. There must also be similar devices available for people in this situation to hold drinking straws, microphones etc. Probably with an extra zero on the end of the price tag too. You should be able to get a neck holder from a music store for about 20-30 bucks. The design pictured is the Hoener one
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-11-17 at 02:40 PM.
    Fatman, disley and AllyP like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    More google Foo revealed one I hadnt seen before

https://www.madvapes.com/aspire-bree...uto&results=11

you can even get it locally
    https://vapoureyes.com.au/collection...nt=46766764367
    AllyP and iamtezr like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    Look at a pod based system with the draw activated firing system, as others have suggested. My few are the Envii Fitt, Wismec MyJet, the Juul etc. However there's been mention of the eEleaf ICare too. Now if only the Joyetech Penguin system was auto activated.

With the Fitt system, the lanyard hole could be used as a mounting point to a gooseneck that can attach to the wheelchair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast