• 1 Post By emu
  • 3 Post By DogMan
  • 2 Post By gtadmin
  • 2 Post By Fractal
  • 2 Post By DogMan

Thread: Cappo squonker review

AVF Regular

Cappo squonker review

Just a quick warning to ppl that do TC mode and are thinking of getting the cappo squonker.

This is not a TC device. Its not upgradeable so it never will be.

It also has no boost just a buck on the board. What exactly this means for me im not sure as i vape at about 30w with a .5/.6 coil boosting to 4.7v.
    Maybe someone can explain this to me what no boost will do do i have to vape at higher watts.

Here is the full disassembly and charts and review from djls.

https://youtu.be/l8DWlVGsl8o

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    gtadmin and steve.c like this.

Super Moderator
    To get the watts you require, you'll have to build the coil to a lower resistance than you normally would ...
    steve.c and Danny76 like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Might as well be a mech

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Yes, it'll act as a protected mech (mostly)
    Last edited by gtadmin; 19-11-17 at 11:54 AM.
    Danny76 likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    So to get 30W you'd build to 0.35Ω (which requires 3.2V) and you'd be able to use the full capacity of the battery

emu
    AVF Regular
    Nice little squonker though
    Danny76 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    Just a quick warning to ppl that do TC mode and are thinking of getting the cappo squonker.

This is not a TC device. Its not upgradeable so it never will be.

It also has no boost just a buck on the board. What exactly this means for me im not sure as i vape at about 30w with a .5/.6 coil boosting to 4.7v.
    Maybe someone can explain this to me what no boost will do do i have to vape at higher watts.

Here is the full disassembly and charts and review from djls.

https://youtu.be/l8DWlVGsl8o

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Battery voltage = 4.2v

Buck = below 4.2. Regulate wattage down

Boost = above battery voltage. Regulate up

Party like it's 2012
    giruvian, Fatman and Danny76 like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Super Moderator
    I pre-ordered one of these in October, and was a bit dismayed to find that it didn't boost as well as buck. But ... considering I usually vape somewhere between 16W and 20W, it isn't a drawback to me. I'll make my coil around 0.7Ω, which with the Capo set to 18W, will allow me to vape down until the battery voltage gets to 3.6V (at which time it's almost 95% depleted) at 18W.

So looking at it from a battery voltage POV, the mod will hold 18W all the way from 4.2V to 3.6V, using PWM duty cycle to achieve that. If I leave the battery in, the mod will then provide battery voltage (or 100% duty cycle PWM ) but at an ever decreasing wattage until it reaches cut-out voltage.
    DogMan and Danny76 like this.

AVF Regular
    No boost on a single battery mod primarily designed with use for drippers in 2017? Well... that's something.

So... a slightly less brief explanation of back / boost -

NOTE : Numbers are theoretical based on ohms law. Real world numbers will depend on your mod, it's board, and how efficient it is.

When you're using an unregulated mechanical mod, you're sending the battery's voltage directly to your atomizer. When you have a fully charged battery, that's 4.2v (or there abouts). As your battery depletes, that voltage goes down, and your vape gets cooler / weaker.

How you control the "wattage" when using an unregulated device is by building your coil at different resistances - higher resistance, cooler vape / lower resistance, warmer vape.

(The relationship between your batteries voltage, your coils resistance, how many watts it'll result in, and how hard it'll work your battery [the amp draw] is all down to Ohms Law - which is why people keep banging on about it in relation to mechs).

A regulated mod - through the use of electronics and black magic - allows you to change the voltage being sent to the atomizer on the fly. When you turn your wattage up, and the mod increases it's voltage output to the atomizer to give you the wattage you've set. When you lower the wattage, and the mod decreases the voltage output to the atomizer to get the lower wattage.

The ability of a regulated mod to give you a different voltage output to what your battery's voltage is, is because of something called buck / boost circuitry.

"Bucking" is when your mod is outputting a voltage to your atomizer that is LOWER than the battery's voltage level.

Practical example - You have a 0.5 ohm coil, and you want to fire it at 26W. Using an ohms law calculator, you can find out that your mod will only need to output 3.6V to that 0.5 ohm coil to result in the 26W output you've selected. Your battery is freshly charged and sitting at 4.2V - but because it's a regulated mod with buck circuitry, that doesn't matter - your mod can output less than the battery voltage to the atomizer. So it outputs only 3.6V, and you get the 26W you're expecting (and not a nasty hot surprise!).

"Boosting" is the opposite of bucking. It's when (this is where the black magic comes into it!) the mod is outputting a HIGHER voltage to your atomizer than what the battery's voltage level is.

Practical Example - You have a 0.5 ohm coil, and you want to fire it at 70W. Using an ohms law calculator again, you can see that the mod will need to output 5.9V to the atomizer to get the 70W you've set. A single, freshly charged battery tops out at 4.2V... so how does it get the 5.9V? The magic of boost circuitry!

What happens when you have have no buck or no boost on a mod?

When you have no bucking (prime example - DNA 30), the LOWEST voltage that will be outputted to your atomizer is the battery's voltage. So, for a freshly charged battery - that'll be about 4.2V. End result - you won't be able to run at low wattages until your battery depletes. Using our 0.5 ohm coil example - the LOWEST wattage it will be firing at on a freshly charged battery is 35W.

When you have no boosting - like this here Capo we're talking about - the HIGHEST voltage that the mod can output will be the voltage level of the battery. To use our imaginary 0.5 coil - the hardest it will go on a freshly charged (4.2V) battery is 35W. As the battery depletes, that maximum wattage will do down.

Essentially, what you're going to have to do for this thing is to build like you would for a single battery mech. If you like to go hard with DL gear - you're going to want to look at the spec sheet, and make sure the mod can fire as low (coil resistance wise) as you need it to.

0.6 ohm and 30W is really, really on the boarder. It's theoretically 4.2V, but then in reality there's overheads and inefficiencies - so it's likely that the real world maximum voltage output of the mod on a freshly charged battery is a bit less than 4.2v. So yeah, you're going to want to build a bit lower resistance than usual on this one - I'd start at around 0.4 ohm and see how you go.
    giruvian and Danny76 like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    nice write up, fractal

eleaf products always lack buck, or they did last i checked
    Fractal and Danny76 like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity