Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Issue with leaking juice Smok Alien & Big baby beast tank

  1. #1
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    22

    Unhappy Issue with leaking juice Smok Alien & Big baby beast tank

    Having an issue with my Smok Alien with Big Baby Beast tank which only started happening about 4 weeks ago.

    Often it will leak out quite a bit of juice from the air vents at the bottom of the tank. It seems to happen in bursts, and not just leak all the time. I filled it about half hour ago, just went for a vape and now noticed it has leaked after vaping. Sometimes it leaks after I've filled it without vaping.

    I've made sure the coil and the tank are done up quite tight, and I never had this issue for about a year previous using the same 50/50 liquid. I've also tried other liquid mixed at 70/30.

    I think (but I can't be sure) that the issue started happening after I began purchasing coils from an overseas seller on ebay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5Pcs-Smo...s/302434598471

    Obviously I could try different coils, or buy another tank, but I'd thought I'd post here first to try and nail down if it could be the coil or the tank.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Geelong Vic
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by JBucks View Post
    Having an issue with my Smok Alien with Big Baby Beast tank which only started happening about 4 weeks ago.

    Often it will leak out quite a bit of juice from the air vents at the bottom of the tank. It seems to happen in bursts, and not just leak all the time. I filled it about half hour ago, just went for a vape and now noticed it has leaked after vaping. Sometimes it leaks after I've filled it without vaping.

    I've made sure the coil and the tank are done up quite tight, and I never had this issue for about a year previous using the same 50/50 liquid. I've also tried other liquid mixed at 70/30.

    I think (but I can't be sure) that the issue started happening after I began purchasing coils from an overseas seller on ebay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5Pcs-Smo...s/302434598471

    Obviously I could try different coils, or buy another tank, but I'd thought I'd post here first to try and nail down if it could be the coil or the tank.

    Cheers
    Your problem wont be the tank it has to be a coil problem. Do you close the airflow before you refill? if so then read on

    If your coils havent been in a long time the first thing I would do, after buying off ebay, is check that the coils are original via the scratch code on the box and the smok website.
    https://www.smoktech.com/support

    If they are real smok coils and they havent been in to long the next thing is check that all the o rings are on the coil base.

    It maybe also just be the heat and the 50/50 juice thinning out and over soaking the coils.
    emu likes this.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    17,417
    Another thing that is counterintuative is to make sure you are not over tightening anything. Leaking from airflow holes can be because of an imbalance in the internal pressure of the tank.


    O-rings create wonderful seals if you let them. O-rings expand slightly when they are wet......if you overtighen anything with an o-ring seal you run the risk of squishing and distorting the o-rings or even micro splitting/slicing them. When this happens you can have tiny gaps or creases in your seal letting air in which changes the internal pressure of your tank. End result is a leaky tank. Not necessary a leaky seal.

    I would switch out all your tank orings and only firm tighten your tank and coils
    Last edited by Crisscross; 11-01-18 at 02:58 PM.
    DocM and emu like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

  4. #4
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    22
    Ok thanks for the suggestions guys.

    I don't close the airflow when refilling - should I ? (I never did this in the past and did not have a problem)

    I have the same problem with 70/30 juice (which is thicker right?)

    I did stop vaping for about 6 months, so as suggested it could be the O-Rings that dried out and are now being used again. I'll also check the coil scratch code
    Last edited by JBucks; 11-01-18 at 03:13 PM.
    Crisscross and DocM like this.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    17,417
    Quote Originally Posted by JBucks View Post
    Ok thanks for the suggestions guys.

    I don't close the airflow when refilling - should I ? (I never did this in the past and did not have a problem)

    I have the same problem with 70/30 juice (which is thicker right?)

    I did stop vaping for about 6 months, so as suggested it could be the O-Rings that dried out and are now being used again. I'll also check the coil scratch code
    I am not familiar with the specific tank but in my experience top fill tanks do need the air flow closed when filling. With my top fill tanks, I close my airflow,undo fill part, fill, slowly close the fill section (top or ring) and then turn upside down to open airflow. That way any odd pressure in the tank from filling or closing too fast is released. Once you turn it back upright...... all is good.
    DocM likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

  6. #6
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    22
    I just went for another vape (without filling prior) and it leaked again after I vaped. I guess that rules out it being caused when filling right ?

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Geelong Vic
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by JBucks View Post
    I just went for another vape (without filling prior) and it leaked again after I vaped. I guess that rules out it being caused when filling right ?
    not necessarily if the cotton has started letting juice through it will usually keep doing it.

    1 more thing that may help is let go of the fire button before you stop puffing to clear the vapor out of the coil, it wouldnt leave much liquid but could explain a minor leak

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    247
    When I used the big baby beast I found the coil QC to be quite lacking. Often the base would be slightly separated and this would cause a leak. I would check coils before installing them and gently push them up to not damage anything. Pic for reference of where I'm talking about

    emu likes this.
    2/12/2016

  9. #9
    emu
    emu is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,022
    Has to be faulty coil or a missing oring /gasket, especially if you had no problems with the tank in the past. There is a seal on the bottom of the chimney as well which can come off when cleaning, if it's not there you wouldn't even miss it.
    Considering there's only 3 access points to the Airflow it's not hard to work out, check / change the bottom coil seal, the chimney seal and change the coil while you are at it. Consider changing to the Eleaf HW series coils as they seem to be better made than Smok rubbish, the only Smok tank I ever owned leaked so I never went back. The HW series come in the same configuration as the Smok with 1, 2, 3 or 4 coil heads as well as a ceramic version for long life. HW1 is the only stainless steel option all the rest are kanthal including the ceramic one. I've never had a leak just the usual slight bit of condensation on top of the mod directly adjacent to the air flow hole.

    I don't close the Airflow when filling a slide top tank, no need as there's no downward pressure when closing the top. Last time I done that was with the old kayfuns lol
    Last edited by emu; 12-01-18 at 12:19 AM.

  10. #10
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    22
    Alrighty, so I followed the instructions on the Smok website to validate the coils were original and it came back fake. It was very strange how you go about installing the Vaping Tour App on an iphone to validate though (Check out the guide - https://vapingtour.com/intall-help.html)

    I checked the baby beast box I still had and inside there was a packet with new O-Rings and various other parts so I'll replace all that tonight (and also check the coil QC as mentioned) and that doesn't fix the issue I'll get some new coils from a reputable website and see how that goes.

    I did just notice it start to leak, so I opened the top fill and heard a slight noise of air escaping so it does seem like there is a bit of pressure in the tank. Whether that is normal, and the coils should handle It I don't know.

    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    1ynne likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:39 PM.