Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Reviewer designed hardware

AVF Regular
    fatman is still the premier vape reviewer

so informative
    giruvian, rodbam, DocM and 3 others like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    fatman is still the premier vape reviewer

so informative
    A bit long winded though. I spent near on a full minute trawling through all his reviews. They are all on point though.
    giruvian, Fatman, DogMan and 2 others like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    I don't think the involvement of a reviewer inherently makes a bit of hardware good or bad, really.

Sure, 99% of the reviewers have absolutely NO prior experience in product design, of even a cursory knowledge in any relevant engineering discipline. But that's ok! This industry thus far has been founded on the design principals of "throw it at the wall, see what sticks" anyway .

I think a lot of the problem is expectations. People are expecting a lot from these reviewers turned designers - after all, they sure vape a lot of different hardware, they can nit pick anything and everything apart, and all their mates give their designs glowing reviews! Surely vape reviewer branded hardware has to be the second coming of the Ol El Paso Dancing Cactus, right?

The Ares and the Bonza are prime examples of "managing expectations".

Bogan was totally upfront about the Bonza - he specifically said that it was nothing revolutionary, nothing earth shattering - just a collection of different features he liked from a variety of different drippers, rolled into one well priced, easy to live with, airy and cloudy little package. So, that's what people expected. When it hit the market, it was generally well received because it met those expectations.

Contrast that with the Ares. Busardo had been crowing on for more than a year about how he was working up something revolutionary, game changing, and bringing back "true MTL" with Innokin. After a short delay at the 11th hour to "redesign the AFC ring", they dropped what was essentially a Siren v1.5 with a few tweaks... and with some of the glaringly obvious bad parts left in it!*

Needless to say, there are a lot of disappointed people. Sure, the tank it self is still probably a good, solid tank for the price point. The kit it comes with is very complete, the manual amazingly good, and the presentation is superb. But it's not the game changing, true MTL experience it was hyped up as. If he'd have just stayed on planet Earth and said "here's my take on the Siren (and a few other tanks), presented how I'd like to see affordable tanks presented" I think fewer people would have been disappointed with the reality of what was in the shiny box.

As for me, the only bit of reviewer kit I knowingly have is the Pulse squonk mod. I actually really like it - but then again, I went in knowing about the button and the volt drop (and honestly, I don't have issues with the button. Yeah, it's not got the nicest tactile feel in the world - but it doesn't misfire, doesn't autofire, doesn't get hot or arc, and it's easy to find in the dark. I've used MUCH worse!). It's not perfect, but it wasn't supposed to be - it was supposed to be a reliable, low maintenance, fun little beater squonk for the masses. It was obviously built to a specific price point - but Tony B was totally upfront about that - again - managing expectations.

* Glaringly obvious example of "cargo cult engineering" - The diffuser under the coil. That was on the Siren v1 as a work around to get a DL tank to do MTL reasonably well, as the air path was DL sized. If you're doing a MTL focused tank from the ground up - why not just cut to the case and make all the air paths tuned (size wise) for MTL? It's not even as if the Ares can switch hit MTL and DL, given that the diffuser isn't removable.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 6 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Ive said this a few times, all anyone needs to do to have a truly great all arounder/MTL tank is take the Lemo 2, make the juice ports a little bigger, change the leg trapping to kanger subtank style or clamp style and you'd sell a millionty. The Lemo 2 is still the best tank ive ever owned, only 2 points against it are the ones i mention above - needs bigger juice ports (especially for winter/high vg) and less fiddly leg trapping...im still wrapping the legs around the screws (aftermarket hex head screws from the UK) over 2 years later...i refuse to mangle my coil (and ruin temp control) by using the deck holes

But yeah, china, just keep cranking out revisions of the last fad tank from over 6 months ago...so many avo and siren clones, almost every tank out there is derived from those two, its like me too until the market stops falling for the same old shite....
    Fatman, DogMan, rodbam and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I bought the pulse 22mm after all the hype about it and i definitely was not disappointed. It sits on all my squonkers and has been in continual use since i bought it. So much so i own 3 of em now.

Biggest disappointment for me was the aura from djls rda. Way to much air flow, weeps like it leaks. Juice everywhere every morning. And gets really hot.

I would love to see a single coil 22mm reduced airflow of the aura then it might be worth another look.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    giruvian, rodbam and act180 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    * Glaringly obvious example of "cargo cult engineering" - The diffuser under the coil. That was on the Siren v1 as a work around to get a DL tank to do MTL reasonably well, as the air path was DL sized. If you're doing a MTL focused tank from the ground up - why not just cut to the case and make all the air paths tuned (size wise) for MTL? It's not even as if the Ares can switch hit MTL and DL, given that the diffuser isn't removable.
    I saw on the net that the diffuser does unscrew off but you have to use pointy tweezers to put into two of the holes so you can unscrew it. I did try it but the airflow was a bit noisy for me.

AVF Regular
    Yes djls has done some very good reviews but when I saw him cuddling up to P Bussardo telling him that the Ares is better than the Kayfun. Bussardo said ""thank you soooo much Daniel, that means a lot coming from you"". These reviewers seem to love each other almost as much as they love themselves.
    giruvian, Fatman, DogMan and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Scott
    The only reviewer to take half seriously

His review on the super T atty is brilliant
    Is that the Scott that does igetcha69 videos? He does seem fairly straight a.
    giruvian, Fatman and Danny76 like this.

AVF Regular
    Im abit of a djls fanboy but i have to say, i think djls has become to commercialized and it seems that every review he does these days is its an "excellent" mod or rda/rdta.
    I think he is scared to upset his supplyers by telling the absolute truth.
    In the last 12 months i haven't seen him come out and say this mod or tank is rubbish and dont waist ur money on it.
    I very rarely watch his reviews these days because of that exact reson they all seem to be "great" mods or tanks.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I bought the Aura, off the classies I think it was. I was pretty disappointed with it's lack of spill control. The airflow is low and has lots of holes. It's pretty sucky for squonking.

I love the snakebite airflow on the Rebel flavour cap, but I was pretty disappointed with the post design - the new Rebel that replaces it looks like it might be on the money though, and it has some spill control which may or may not work well.

Having said all that, I think I'm really more of a restricted DL single coil kind of guy, so Narda/Hadaly/Haku Cruise is probably what floats my boat, not something that any reviewer seems to be interested in having a swing at making an improvement on.

I don't have a problem with these reviewers trying to make a living by putting out hardware. I think it's good for the industry overall, and at the end of the day the good stuff is going to be successful, while the stuff that doesn't work will fall by the wayside.
    Fatman, DogMan, rodbam and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast