Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Reviewer designed hardware

  1. #41
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    Im abit of a djls fanboy but i have to say, i think djls has become to commercialized and it seems that every review he does these days is its an "excellent" mod or rda/rdta.
    I think he is scared to upset his supplyers by telling the absolute truth.
    In the last 12 months i haven't seen him come out and say this mod or tank is rubbish and dont waist ur money on it.
    I very rarely watch his reviews these days because of that exact reson they all seem to be "great" mods or tanks.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Yes. ^ This x10.

    It's not just suppliers for reviewing stuff though - he primarily makes money from testing hardware for a lot of the big Chinese brands. Guess he doesn't want to rock the boat.

    I've noticed this overly shiny and positive reviews thing really kicked in after the Angorabbit saga. That was the last time I actually remember him legit going for the throat - and I think it may have scared a few of his suppliers into thinking that he might do the same to them, and now he's doing damage control.

    I still like that he takes things apart, he still measures things, and I like charts and numbers - so I respect that he still provides enough info to help someone come to their own conclusions about a device. So at least there's that - he's still better than "*2 minute flashy loud intro* Let's open the box (for literally the first time)! Here's a close up shot! Watch me blow a cloud! EVERYTHING IS AWESOME THANKS **Name of supplier**... check below for my affiliate code and please subscribe and donate to my patreon *2 minute flashy outro*" that seems to be all the rage.
    These things.

    I have some things.
    I vape them.

  2. #42
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    Yes. ^ This x10.

    It's not just suppliers for reviewing stuff though - he primarily makes money from testing hardware for a lot of the big Chinese brands. Guess he doesn't want to rock the boat.

    I've noticed this overly shiny and positive reviews thing really kicked in after the Angorabbit saga. That was the last time I actually remember him legit going for the throat - and I think it may have scared a few of his suppliers into thinking that he might do the same to them, and now he's doing damage control.

    I still like that he takes things apart, he still measures things, and I like charts and numbers - so I respect that he still provides enough info to help someone come to their own conclusions about a device. So at least there's that - he's still better than "*2 minute flashy loud intro* Let's open the box (for literally the first time)! Here's a close up shot! Watch me blow a cloud! EVERYTHING IS AWESOME THANKS **Name of supplier**... check below for my affiliate code and please subscribe and donate to my patreon *2 minute flashy outro*" that seems to be all the rage.

    don't forget

    2 minute obnoxious intro
    10 minute rant because someone disagreed in the comments of last video
    5 minute apology for going off topic
    blows a cloud
    3 minute discussion of button placement
    2 minute outro
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  3. #43
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    19,163
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    I think he was referring to the "Holy Grail" of all vaping antiquities .... The Sherbet Mod ( All Hail the Mighty Sherb!)

    It will never leave the FM Hall of Fame !

    giruvian, DogMan, AllyP and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  4. #44
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I think he was referring to the "Holy Grail" of all vaping antiquities .... The Sherbet Mod ( All Hail the Mighty Sherb!)

    It will never leave the FM Hall of Fame !

    any luck with the NES mod quest? or provape fixed voltage?
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  5. #45
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,348
    its a cracker ?

    silly me .. I always get 'crackers' grenades and petrol bombs confused..


    pull pin.. lob ... duck .. or variations on that theme..
    Last edited by 1ynne; 13-01-18 at 08:39 PM.
    Fatman and emu like this.

    What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

  6. #46
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    19,163
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    any luck with the NES mod quest? or provape fixed voltage?
    Why do you have to make me sad again



    DogMan and stylemessiah like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  7. #47
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,685
    To flip this around. How bad are mod and attie manufacturers at making videos of their products?

    Robert Eugene O'neil of REO fame springs to mind. Tom's shotgun at a tmod was fun, as was John's running over and throwing across a carpark videos.

    But in general, the two skillsets don't mix.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  8. #48
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Don't forget the true prize

    sherbet anyone?
    I was hoping everyone would have forgotten about that one, since the battery in it is dead. Now you've gone and dashed my hopes...
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

    AVF emergency contact : avf_contact_point@yahoo.com
    This email will auto-respond with the latest information if the AVF forum is no longer contactable.
    Send a test message now to make sure it's in your address book or sent messages.
    Received emails and addresses will be deleted the same day. Include the word "scream" in the subject if you want me to read your message. The Yahoo responder may only send 1 or 2 response messages per day.

  9. #49
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Backwater Japan.
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    I never had trains as a kid, well my grandparents gave me a train set...that my Dad intercepted and sold for whatever reason...drugs/booze or something else, never got to even touch it

    Kind of like the time a bike shaped present appeared under the xmas tree for me and my sisters, but were gone before xmas day a few days later...

    You didnt get attached to things or want things with my Dad around....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    My old man gave me a train set as a kid it was like this one but green came as full set carriages, tracks, station, signs and all.

    Mum sold it to a hock shop for $5.
    That look in dads eyes when he found out, could still give me nightmares.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    I'm glad my kids didn't have to go through what you lot have with your presents being sold on you. We just didn't buy our kids anything so they didn't grow up with any hangups.
    I thought I was somewhat hard done by as a kid, as I rarely got anything of note, anything I did get I had to look after very well because mum couldn't afford another one and grandpa would give me a hiding and my birthday being a week and change after Christmas whatever I did get was mostly a coverall for both. Bit of a blessing for mum in that I expect, but made me grateful for everything I did get.

    As for the 'buy nothing', we pulled that trick on our daughter this year. She said she's take some xyz widget a few months ago instead of a birthday present, so we held her to it. She was a bit miffed, but she'll never try that again either.

    And as attractive as that as a general rule might be, I can't do it. My daughter's first Christmas, I was so hard up for cash I could only get her a small stuffed toy. She was only 3 weeks old and has no idea of it, but it haunts me every time I think of it, which is when I get a bit of a case of the coombies and that sets me back on track again.

    And this past Chrissie and Bday, I got overloaded with stuff. Never had so much before in my life. Still in a bit of shock over it still. Kind of embarrassed to be honest.

    But back on topic...

    Flavour of the month is where it's at for this stuff. Seen in many different 'fields', the trick with this vaping stuff is you have a bunch of folks who have something of a disposable income (because they don't smoke no more), they're somewhat tech savvy and want new and shiny often as well as this vaping stuff being fairly new, still something of a black art and the range of tastes is much wider than when compared to other things, because 'taste' is absolutely part of it.

    It's hard to be an impartial reviewer, simply because being truly impartial means you need another way to pay the bills to be considered honest, or risk being marginalised if you say the wrong thing and get cut off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    (Been there, done that. Wouldn't give in to the powers that be to my own medium term detriment...)

    I don't think a reviewer had a say in the gear I'm using now, most of it somewhat obsolete (so cheap!) and working great.

    Stu.
    stylemessiah likes this.

  10. #50
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    5,323
    Jessica, who is now 10, tried to hit me up yesterday for a nintendo switch as an early birthday/xmas present (her birthday is christmas day lmao). I told her no, she can earn some money doing chores and save up for it. Suck it up kid.
    Ingrid

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

 

 
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 02:47 PM.