Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Reviewer designed hardware

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    Jessica, who is now 10, tried to hit me up yesterday for a nintendo switch as an early birthday/xmas present (her birthday is christmas day lmao). I told her no, she can earn some money doing chores and save up for it. Suck it up kid.
    Eleven months early is a bit rich. She must get that cunning cheekiness from her father.

sent from my masticated yam
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    Jessica, who is now 10, tried to hit me up yesterday for a nintendo switch as an early birthday/xmas present (her birthday is christmas day lmao). I told her no, she can earn some money doing chores and save up for it. Suck it up kid.
    LOL... one of my 9 year old daughters tried the exact same thing the other week. The only difference was the time frame was 10 months, not 11.
    giruvian and stylemessiah like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    I pretty much used to buy my own main gift.

I got $2 pocket money a week, and I'd get a bus to box hill for 35c and put the rest on layby for stuff like atari.

Mum says she usually only put about 5 bucks on to pay them off, with the printed layby payment sheets spanning multiple pages

Lol
    giruvian, Fatman, rodbam and 4 others like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    I pretty much used to buy my own main gift.

I got $2 pocket money a week, and I'd get a bus to box hill for 35c and put the rest on layby for stuff like atari.

Mum says she usually only put about 5 bucks on to pay them off, with the printed layby payment sheets spanning multiple pages

Lol
    yep i was the same.
    Every child was assigned 2 jobs worth 50c each a week. mine were Rubbish and hauling/top up diesel for the gennny.
    You had the option to do more up to max $5 a week.

You needed to do it, Mums cooking was so fkn horrible if you didnt supplement it with pocket money food you would end up in hospital with no money the next week.

Super Moderator
    You guys got " Pocket Money"... What is this "pocket money"?

(Settle in for a grandpa FM tale LOL)

We (three boys) grew up down the coast where mum and dad owned a Newsagency/P.O./General Store... We always had a job to do , School holidays? That just meant getting up even earlier and dad dropping us off at the local caravan parks between Pt Lonsdale and Queenscliffe to deliver and flog newspapers in the morning AND afternoon !
    The sing song yell/phrase " Heeee-rallld !, Sun and Addy" still gets me sentimental

Weekends we didnt get off either , cos my Granddad ran the Queenscliffe Bakery and we helped out there in the mornings, a 4 am start on a stormy coastal winters morn toughened you up But there was this awesome bonus that even in the early 1970's he was still delivering via Horse and Cart ... I have never really been a Horse lover, but George the gentle Clydesdale was my one exception to the rule.. He was a MASSIVE beast who could have killed a kid with one shot of his ginormous hoof, yet he used to bow his head to the ground, and let you climb on his neck and with a snort lift you up into the heavens so you could slide down and shimmy onto his back He was so smart he knew what day it was , and where on the route he had to stop for deliveries, so much so that Granddad could sometimes not even get in the cart if the day had no surprise orders, and George would actually let ME know who was up for bread that day LOL!

All of this was done without a cracker in terms of cash lol ... you worked, you had a roof and food and you never dared question the arrangement LOL
    If you needed cash for something, you better have a damn good case for it , cos dad was Jury Judge and Executioner, and it ALWAYS came at an extra cost ... I remember I wanted a footy once , the deal was ( as a 9 year old) I had to clean out the spoon drain leading from the outside laundry to the back cess pit, a 30 yard 2 foot wide 2 foot deep trench with mud.white hookworms, and bare feet LOL! As an added bonus he had me climb into the councils drain pit at the back of the property and clean out the rubbish washed in via the storm drain ... but more fool him , while doing so I found & brought back my first pet tortoise

It took me over two weeks of a few solid hours every day to get that job done.
    I did however LOVE that football

We did a lot for being kids, but we didn't expect much , and sure we grumbled and moaned ( esp at 3am on Saturday mornings in winter getting out of a warm safe bed) but we learned its not all about Money ( tho money was important) and we still had a pretty good childhood, full of experiences and trouble making, but we mainly learnt life doesn't just happen, and dreams don't come true cos you crack a tanty ... Sadly tho this probably didn't prepare us for the way the world has become now, where self promotion is more important that actual effort put in, and those who yell and guilt "get" ... but I can live with that , cos my world still counts , at least with me

(edit... Oh and when the mighty George sadly passed away of old age in 1974 , that was enough for Grandad, he sold the bakery and retired ... He loved that horse and knew it would never be the same without him )
    Last edited by Fatman; 14-01-18 at 11:23 AM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    You guys got " Pocket Money"... What is this "pocket money"?
    translated into the old tongue "conscious scraps, like scraps of bread owners would give slaves for less Rebellion"
    giruvian, Fatman, rodbam and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Bleeding L the way we were all brought up makes us seem like we're from another planet compared with how things are today.
    Anyhow something far more important happened last night. My previously non leaking Ares decided to dump juice soaking the mod & pooling on the table. We had a really hot day the the Areas stayed dry all day but when I picked it up for the last vape before bed my hand was covered in juice. The tank was getting low on juice so I wonder if that was the cause. Innokin have issued an open offer for anyone to return their faulty tanks & they will send them a replacement.
    I wonder if this tank will be an albatross around the neck of Mr Bussardo.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 4 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Pocket money? You lived a blessed life....

I never had any, and by the time i was 14 working part time, and school holidays, paying tax and paying board to live at home....

I remember it took me a solid year to buy the first widely available portable CD player that came out, from Philips, who invented it, not that Sony rubbish

Philips D 6800

That thing lived for years, and allowed me to cut the shackles with radio, that i havent listened to in 30+ years...

I think the first CD i bought was Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA, so that would be 1984'ish, i was 13, and i still had all those great John Hughes films ahead of me...and it was 2 years before the words Save Ferris would mean something

Born in the U.S.A. became the first compact disc manufactured in the United States for commercial release when CBS and Sony opened its CD manufacturing plant in Terre Haute, Indiana in September 1984
    Kids today are soft, they need to learn to harden the **** up
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 14-01-18 at 01:28 PM.
    giruvian, Fatman, DocM and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    *Laughing ...

Thinking midget just turned 11 already has her own computer (a windows 7 one but its hers) - we have a switch midget can use if she wants to.

Midget was just in the past week given an xbox with over 20 games - She has access as long as she does her chores to the vive virtual reality set up and she is subbed to a game she likes (Its parental controlled so I keep track of everything) -

She has her own cheap but ok video camera and has a bluetooth mp3 player stereo (Which I got on sale for 20 bucks just after xmas a couple of years ago - also has access to crunchy roll and netflix

we gave away her nintendo with a bunch of games a while ago cause everyone was over it

She does still use the nintendo 3d console occasionally when the mood takes her

although that being said we dont own a conventional tv

Apparently she is ahead of the others in her computer class and social studies components had also inspired bc of her stories (I tell her quite a few on the way to and from school) the teachers to run a few basic classes in greek mythology ... she is not doing too badly in maths too

Oddly tho - she still despite all of this prefers her trampoline and her dolls- and does not spend as much time on it all as people might think

I actually dont think she is spoiled - maybe has different to some other kids today - but am not against tech - the only thing I put my foot down on is ipads and android pads - ipads cause they are overpriced garbage and android ones cause they are annoying and over stalky-

She is by nature polite and shy also mildly autistic - her teachers also describe her as being strong and ahead of her peers in many ways in the way she thinks - having been burned a few times by hype she saw on youtube vs reality - midget is also not in the habit for asking for brand names or anything much really and is aware that that there is a cost to everything

Go figure i guess - different strokes for different folks
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    *Laughing ...

Thinking midget just turned 11 already has her own computer (a windows 7 one but its hers) - we have a switch midget can use if she wants to.

Midget was just in the past week given an xbox with over 20 games - She has access as long as she does her chores to the vive virtual reality set up and she is subbed to a game she likes (Its parental controlled so I keep track of everything) -

She has her own cheap but ok video camera and has a bluetooth mp3 player stereo (Which I got on sale for 20 bucks just after xmas a couple of years ago - also has access to crunchy roll and netflix

we gave away her nintendo with a bunch of games a while ago cause everyone was over it

She does still use the nintendo 3d console occasionally when the mood takes her

although that being said we dont own a conventional tv

Apparently she is ahead of the others in her computer class and social studies components had also inspired bc of her stories (I tell her quite a few on the way to and from school) the teachers to run a few basic classes in greek mythology ... she is not doing too badly in maths too

Oddly tho - she still despite all of this prefers her trampoline and her dolls- and does not spend as much time on it all as people might think

I actually dont think she is spoiled - maybe has different to some other kids today - but am not against tech - the only thing I put my foot down on is ipads and android pads - ipads cause they are overpriced garbage and android ones cause they are annoying and over stalky-

She is by nature polite and shy also mildly autistic - her teachers also describe her as being strong and ahead of her peers in many ways in the way she thinks - having been burned a few times by hype she saw on youtube vs reality - midget is also not in the habit for asking for brand names or anything much really and is aware that that there is a cost to everything

Go figure i guess - different strokes for different folks
    You need to give that kid a bloomin' abacus, and nothing more

Games....i remember going in summer down to Armidale (one of my fave places) from Brisbane to visit my mums friend from school, and her kids and my sisters and i would walk down to the video shop and rent Atari 2600 cartridges...River Raid was a fave

Wait, how did this turn into the Older Than Dirt thread?

Did i do that?
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast