Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Reviewer designed hardware

AVF Regular
    Sheeesh....LooogzureH!
    I only had a peice of string AND that was a hand me down! It was a life lesson and, at the same time, lesion. I never say "Frayed Knot!" Then we moved to a cardboard box by a lake. Down pit. It was when I was told to never cross the street without a parent, then they moved across the road......
    Last edited by DocM; 14-01-18 at 03:11 PM.
    Fatman, fabricator4, btobw and 3 others like this.
    Cigarettes: One of the few things known that will kill you if used "as directed".

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DocM View Post
    Sheeesh....LooogzureH!
    I only had a peice of string AND that was a hand me down! It was a life lesson and, at the same time, lesion. I never say "Frayed Knot!" Then we moved to a cardboard box by a lake. Down pit. It was when I was told to never cross the street without a parent, then they moved across the road......
    every morning half an hour before you went to bed , did you have to get up an lick the road clean with yer toooongues?
    DogMan, DocM, stylemessiah and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Bless you Fatman and all that sail in you.
    Cigarettes: One of the few things known that will kill you if used "as directed".

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    You guys got " Pocket Money"... What is this "pocket money"?

Weekends we didnt get off either , cos my Granddad ran the Queenscliffe Bakery and we helped out there in the mornings, a 4 am start on a stormy coastal winters morn toughened you up But there was this awesome bonus that even in the early 1970's he was still delivering via Horse and Cart ... I have never really been a Horse lover, but George the gentle Clydesdale was my one exception to the rule.. He was a MASSIVE beast who could have killed a kid with one shot of his ginormous hoof, yet he used to bow his head to the ground, and let you climb on his neck and with a snort lift you up into the heavens so you could slide down and shimmy onto his back He was so smart he knew what day it was , and where on the route he had to stop for deliveries, so much so that Granddad could sometimes not even get in the cart if the day had no surprise orders, and George would actually let ME know who was up for bread that day LOL!

I remember that bakery cart well from my 20 years living in Pt Lonsdale........ but after your time Fatman

It was a regular sight in summer going around the summer terrorists in the summer detention (caravan) parks.
    Right up until the horse got spooked by a car and bolted with tragic results.
    Fatman, rodbam, DocM and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator
    yep the tradition was revived in the mid to late 80's for a bit I think ...
    Lonnie has changed sooooo much lol used to be soooo sleepy in winter then explode for Dec-March
    ( I liked the quiet times )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    So in short
    Don’t watch any reviews
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    OK, here's the truth....
    The ice man arrived twice a week by horse & cart to deliver us ice for the ice chest.
    I helped the milkman six days a week, delivering bulk milk from a tank on the back of the horse & cart.

The horse stopped on his/her own, at every house we delivered to, after trotting with a full load from the dairy 10 miles away.
    I loaded a quart pot from the tank tap on back of the cart and poured it into empty jugs at each front door.

My biggest mistake as a kid delivering milk each day, was when the Westies came to the beaches each holidays,
    they stayed in tents close to the beaches.
    I walked into a darkened tent before sunrise, stepping over people sleeping on the floor of the tent,
    to get to an empty jug on the table in the middle of the tent.
    What I didn't realise was there were two one pint jugs on the table.

I emptied the quart pot of milk into a one pint sized jug. Didn't fit.
    Must have made a mess on the table, tent floor & probably any floor sleepers.
    Plus I guess they were short of milk for the day.

The milkman I worked for was great to me as a little kid.
    As the sun rose and the milk run finished,
    he would reach into his leather change pouch around his waist and hand me all his change.
    Farthings, half pennies, pennies, treys, zacs, deeners & florins.

It was a lot of money for a little kid in the early 1950s.
    Fatman, DogMan, rodbam and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    OK, here's the truth....
    The ice man arrived twice a week by horse & cart to deliver us ice for the ice chest.
    I helped the milkman six days a week, delivering bulk milk from a tank on the back of the horse & cart.

The horse stopped on his/her own, at every house we delivered to, after trotting with a full load from the dairy 10 miles away.
    I loaded a quart pot from the tank tap on back of the cart and poured it into empty jugs at each front door.

My biggest mistake as a kid delivering milk each day, was when the Westies came to the beaches each holidays,
    they stayed in tents close to the beaches.
    I walked into a darkened tent before sunrise, stepping over people sleeping on the floor of the tent,
    to get to an empty jug on the table in the middle of the tent.
    What I didn't realise was there were two one pint jugs on the table.

I emptied the quart pot of milk into a one pint sized jug. Didn't fit.
    Must have made a mess on the table, tent floor & probably any floor sleepers.
    Plus I guess they were short of milk for the day.

The milkman I worked for was great to me as a little kid.
    As the sun rose and the milk run finished,
    he would reach into his leather change pouch around his waist and hand me all his change.
    Farthings, half pennies, pennies, treys, zacs, deeners & florins.

It was a lot of money for a little kid in the early 1950s.
    kinda of makes you feel sad dont it.
    All that effort from your generation and the net result was a bunch twit grandkids crying over avocado
    Flea, Fatman, DogMan and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    We did have it good. Walked to school with mates, rain, hail or shine, none of this living 50 yards from school & getting driven. I clocked it in the car once to high school. 4 1/2 miles round trip. Next subject - childhood obesity.

AVF Regular
    All this talk of Childhood reminds me of the best thing I worked for - I had to whitewash and clean the massive chook house and was also given points for kindness - didn't really know how to do that so would collect large sea shells and make little floral arrangements in them and deliver them across the neighborhood - In those days kids could go knocking on anyones door & we did.
    The grand reward was a Raleigh Twenty pushbike - oh how I loved her, called her Sally the Raleigh and insisted on having her in my room at night - I would sleep with her handle bars oh so close
    Had to work extra to get bigger "Ape" handle bars and tassles to hang off them and even more jobs to get the psychedelic things that clipped onto the wheel spokes.

Funny that during the same year all the kids in the neighborhood got new bikes too - we "ganged" together and on weekends would set off on epic adventures with the only rule being to be home before dark and when we did eventually get home we would find all our parents at one of our houses dancing and having drinky poos.
    I suspect they clinked their glasses in celebration of having a Kid free cocktail hour which was more than fine with us

Other things worked for were a Daniel Boone style fringed vest and white Beatle boots with matching hot pants - we thought we were pretty cool !
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast