Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Squonk Atty Draining

Super Moderator

Question Squonk Atty Draining

Afternoon all

Something that I often wonder about ... squonk atties that have had the deck designed such that the majority of the juice drains back into the bottle are widely touted as a good thing. This is usually achieved by having the positive (squonk) pin end either at the level of the deck, or slightly below it and having the deck tapered to direct the juice to the squonk hole (so no juice well as such). But why is this so?

I would have thought that a small amount of juice in the well would help maintain a saturated wick, allowing a more dense "cloud". Additionally, this would provide some surge capacity so that the frequency of squonking can be reduced. I have seen it said that having the deck drain completely reduces any backwash to the bottle, but I fail to see how (insert man shrug here).

Could someone please enlighten me
    Last edited by gtadmin; 17-01-18 at 01:59 PM. Reason: bottle, not tank ... maybe
    btobw, DogMan and AllyP like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    If they don't drain you have to keep them upright so juice wont run up the tank to the drip tip, I had one tank that was constantly doing that even if I bent over with the mod in my top pocket.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular

good question lol
    giruvian, gtadmin and AllyP like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mallee00 View Post
    If they don't drain you have to keep them upright so juice wont run up the tank to the drip tip, I had one tank that was constantly doing that even if I bent over with the mod in my top pocket.

But that's a different issue to the pro's of a completely drained deck
    DogMan likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I think the argument is mainly related to having fresh juice as juice that sits in the well can be cooked somewhat by the heat even if it is not in contact with the coil, then there's the thought it will get back washed and mixed back in with the fresh juice in the bottle as you mentioned. That and what mallee said being able to have something tilted or laying down without juice leaking out which is a valid concern for a lot of people. Personally a bit of juice left in the well doesn't usually worry me as long as it isn't making things all slurpy or spitty which can happen if juice is built up close to the airholes or the coil.
    gtadmin and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post

[/I]

I would have thought that having juice not captured in the wicking material drain back into the bottle and not running down the side of a tank when its not upright a good thing. I pack the wells in my squonk attys full of cotton with just a small gap around the squonk hole so it will drain and believe me I really soak them, works for me.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular
    tank
    banned from squonking

off with his head
    gtadmin, Fatman and btobw like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

emu
    AVF Regular
    Backwash is such a dirty word, I can't see how a completely draining atty could reduce any backwash either.
    A well is a better idea and a tightly packed wick for maximum fluid retention, just need to make sure you keep it upright so it doesn't leak. Over squonking is a pain.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post

True, and whether an RDA with free liquid in it likely to leak depends a lot on the design. For example it's very hard to get the NarDA to leak even if it's quite flooded. you have to fill it with liquid half way up to the coil, and then lay it right over on it's side.

One thing that can happen with some types of cotton, if the ends of the wick are sitting in liquid there's a chance it will super saturate and start spitting when you start using it again. A deck that drains fully would eliminate that problem (or use Rayon LOL).

I'm willing to concede that "you don't know until you've tried an SV dished atty", but I still like my NarDA.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 17-01-18 at 03:15 PM.
    gtadmin, DogMan and AllyP like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    [/I]

I would have thought that having juice not captured in the wicking material drain back into the bottle and not running down the side of a tank when its not upright a good thing. I pack the wells in my squonk attys full of cotton with just a small gap around the squonk hole so it will drain and believe me I really soak them, works for me.
    Yes, of course but that's still a different issue to what I'm trying to flesh out. For instance, if you choose a design where the liquid can't flow out of the air holes then you won't have an issue irrespective of whether the deck is completely drained or mostly drained.

The issue that JB mentioned (heated juice in the well) has some merit for those who vape high watts & high VG ... but I've been experimenting with very low VG% (10%), I rarely build below 1ohm single coil and almost always use a single battery mech (or pseudo mech) mod ... and it's all about ME
    Last edited by gtadmin; 17-01-18 at 03:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast