Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Where to get decent silica wick for Penelope?

CMB
    AVF Regular

Where to get decent silica wick for Penelope?

So it seems not all wicks are equal

I got some great stuff with my Penelope, but am now out of it. I have some stuff from china and some local vendors, but it looks to be all the same stuff and tastes like crap, especially with the more subtle juices.

Does anyone know where to get the same stuff that you get with the Ody/Penelope? COV and GG UK are out of stock.

I've tried treating the china stuff with a blue flame, but doesn't seem to do much.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Was going to suggest burning, but that you have tried. What about a soak in Juice and then a burn? Just an idea, as I believe all the wick comes from China anyway.
    lastchance likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Kettering south tassie / northern Antarctica
    vinny from ebay has some good wick iv got some no funny taste at all
    Silica Wick Rope For Ecig Atomizer DIY | eBay
    Robray, virtualphoenix and Vinny like this.
    funny gifs

Super Moderator
    I can second on Vinnies wick ( that sounds kinds rude ?)
    virtualphoenix and Vinny like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I've got some of vinny's wick, it is pretty good, but still not as good as the stuff you get from GG. With stronger flavours you don't really notice it, but others you do, even after a couple of fills.

maybe it is just one of those things like vaping a carto after vaping a genesis, you can taste the filler and stuff you never could before??
    lastchance and Vinny like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Maybe try some cotton gauze wick, I like cotton better than silica.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Maybe try some cotton gauze wick, I like cotton better than silica.
    But I'm guessing you've never tried good quality silica before?

The GG stuff is superior, works exceptionally well.

I have some good silica if you want some CMB but it's 2mm, not the 3mm stuff.
    I have some GG 3mm but I only have just over a metre, you will have to pry that from my cold dead hands!

The HC stuff isn't as good as the GG but it still does work well after a break in. To begin with, it's rubbish. A horrible taste and a few dry hits but after a break in period, it does work well. The wicking process also comes down to the device and the GG rebuildables do a good job. I can run the HC 3mm stuff with a single piece running down the sides, a single piece up the top and 8 wrap twisted at 14 watts.

A few suggestions, if you're having problems with taste, try turning the flow control up a bit. It always does the job for me.
    If you're getting flooding and it's will most likely be early on, it's because of the pressure caused by the sealed tank and turning the flow control on. If you think about it, when you turn the flow control on, the tops goes up, taking up space in the tank and forcing juice in through the wick slots. As you vape your juice, you turn up the flow control as needed.
    Another tip, you could try boiling the silica wick in some water + baking soda. Just boil for a few minutes and then boil/clean with regular water and allow to dry. It might just help with that taste and wicking issues.
    I'll give it a try myself when it's time to rebuild.

Anyway, if you want the exact stuff that comes with the Penelope & Ody V2:
    Φ…„ίλι 3 mm | Wire & Wick | Esmoke Guru
    (It's different stuff in the picture but the stuff they're selling is the wick that comes with them.)

If you get some, let me know, I'd be interested in some myself so maybe we can go halves to cut down on shipping.
    Last edited by kritikal; 17-09-12 at 07:07 AM.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Cheers, Krit. I have found the HC stuff does work ok once it has broken in, but it is getting past the break in stage that is hard. It's not really dry hits I'm getting as I have got the Penelope sussed. I'll check out that site and get some on the way.

Cheers

Chris

Hi CMB,

I use the silica wick that I have on eBay all the time with my Penelope and Ody and I never have any strange taste whatsoever. What sort of strange taste that you experienced? What juices do you use?

I only use tobacco flavour juices, mainly DK Tab Blended, RY4 and USA Mixed... and they taste great with Penelope [Love this thing]

Vinny
    virtualphoenix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kritikal View Post
    But I'm guessing you've never tried good quality silica before?

The GG stuff is superior, works exceptionally well.

I have some good silica if you want some CMB but it's 2mm, not the 3mm stuff.
    I have some GG 3mm but I only have just over a metre, you will have to pry that from my cold dead hands!

The HC stuff isn't as good as the GG but it still does work well after a break in. To begin with, it's rubbish. A horrible taste and a few dry hits but after a break in period, it does work well. The wicking process also comes down to the device and the GG rebuildables do a good job. I can run the HC 3mm stuff with a single piece running down the sides, a single piece up the top and 8 wrap twisted at 14 watts.

A few suggestions, if you're having problems with taste, try turning the flow control up a bit. It always does the job for me.
    If you're getting flooding and it's will most likely be early on, it's because of the pressure caused by the sealed tank and turning the flow control on. If you think about it, when you turn the flow control on, the tops goes up, taking up space in the tank and forcing juice in through the wick slots. As you vape your juice, you turn up the flow control as needed.
    Another tip, you could try boiling the silica wick in some water + baking soda. Just boil for a few minutes and then boil/clean with regular water and allow to dry. It might just help with that taste and wicking issues.
    I'll give it a try myself when it's time to rebuild.

Anyway, if you want the exact stuff that comes with the Penelope & Ody V2:
    Φ…„ίλι 3 mm | Wire & Wick | Esmoke Guru
    (It's different stuff in the picture but the stuff they're selling is the wick that comes with them.)

If you get some, let me know, I'd be interested in some myself so maybe we can go halves to cut down on shipping.
    Hey Krit I found this listing on eBay. They say it's the same wick as used in the Penelope.

3mm silica wick | eBay

Shipping is way over the top though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast