Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Having trouble with my AGA-T

Having trouble with my AGA-T

Spent the last couple of hours mucking around with my first rebuildable, the AGA-T.

I don't have a blow torch, so I oxidized the SS mesh by burning it with a lighter, then dripping juice on it and setting it a light. I did this 3x.

I set up the coil, and filled the tank with juice. I think I should have fired it before adding the juice to see if all coils were lighting up. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get all the coils to light up, even though vapour was coming out.

Are the coils supposed to light up red when the tank has juice? The only part of the coil that is lighting up is the section between the top coil and the centre post.

The hole doesn't line up exactly with the wick. I'm getting dry scratchy hits. I turn the voltage down, and the throat hit is too weak. I started off with some 12mg juice, but then added 20mg juice to see if the throat hit would increase.

So now if the voltage is too low throat hit is too weak. If the voltage is too high, I get try burns. Can't seem to find the sweet point. If I tighten the cap on all the way, the hole doesn't line up, and I get dry burns. Loosen it to get the hole in the right place, and the throat hit is too low.

At least I'm getting vapour. That's a good start I guess.

Any suggestions?

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Spent the last couple of hours mucking around with my first rebuildable, the AGA-T.

I don't have a blow torch, so I oxidized the SS mesh by burning it with a lighter, then dripping juice on it and setting it a light. I did this 3x.
    First mistake, it can be done with a cig lighter/bic but you need to get the wick glowing red & drip juice on it a few more times than you would normally with a jet lighter.

I set up the coil, and filled the tank with juice. I think I should have fired it before adding the juice to see if all coils were lighting up. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get all the coils to light up, even though vapour was coming out.
    Second mistake, get a blunt needle & suck the juice out, get the coils to glow before adding juice, they won't glow when wet with juice.

Are the coils supposed to light up red when the tank has juice? The only part of the coil that is lighting up is the section between the top coil and the centre post.
    No. Third mistake, you have a short. Do the above first, then fix the short before filling with juice.

The hole doesn't line up exactly with the wick. I'm getting dry scratchy hits. I turn the voltage down, and the throat hit is too weak. I started off with some 12mg juice, but then added 20mg juice to see if the throat hit would increase.
    Fourth mistake, the air hole needs to line up with the wick, when you have it set up right you should get plenty of vapor & TH, if you aren't getting enough TH, then turn the airhole a few mm away from the wick at a time until you are. You shouldn't need 20mg/ml juice to feel TH.

So now if the voltage is too low throat hit is too weak. If the voltage is too high, I get try burns. Can't seem to find the sweet point. If I tighten the cap on all the way, the hole doesn't line up, and I get dry burns. Loosen it to get the hole in the right place, and the throat hit is too low.

At least I'm getting vapour. That's a good start I guess.

Any suggestions?
    Take the juice out, take the coil off, take the wick out, re-carbonize the wick, apply a rollie paper to the wick ( just one wrap around the wick is enough) after putting it back in, put a coil back on the wick, fire it up at low volts 3.2v to start with, then work up to 4volts slowly, checking for hot spots/shorts as you do. When you have all the coils glowing evenly, then add the juice, drop it back down to 3.7volts & vape for the first tank at 3.7v.
    marty and davee like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Basically sounds like its shorting to the wick at the first available opportunity. If you can get them all to glow the same dry after some bumping of the coil with a blunt needle you should be good to go.

The video by zen setting up the zap is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.. good example of bumping the coils out of shorts.
    marty likes this.

hi marty, I've been there and done that as well.

refer to these threads:

http://forums.aussievapers.com/gener...-needed-2.html

AGA-T Setup Thread

I actually didnt have a blow torch myself, so I oxidized it on my cooking gas burner in the kitchen, works good.
    Bullos and marty like this.

Im going to start from scratch. What size should the square of mesh should I cut?

The one that came with the tank was only about3 x 8 cm.. should I do the same or is there are a popular dimesion that people use?

Couldn't find this info in the AGA-T threads that were linked.

AVF Regular
    I cut mine about 2.5cm wide and the height not to sure soz i just put it in the wick hole then cut it just above the centre post. When wrapping the coil dont rap it to tight otherwise it will cut into the oxidised layer and short. Also not to loose either if your seeing air between the wick and coil tighten it a tad till its hugging the wick nicely. Also make sure the gap between to the top coil and centre post isnt to long washers help close the gap or jus bend the wick abit to close the gap. Soz for bombarding you with info but all this stuff helped me with the gennies and now i can make one no worries
    Cheers
    Yatesy

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    marty likes this.

Thanks yatesy

I did everything from scratch. Oxidised my mesh, setup the coil. Coils were glowing uniformly.

Added the juice. Vapour comes out.

The problem is the region of the coil that goes from the top coil to the centre post. It always glows red.

Is this a hot spot? What are spots technically. I brushed the coils, and noticed that the coil glow red where ever it is not touching the wick. When I press the coil against the wick, the glowing goes away.

The only part I cannot fix is that topcoil-to-centrepost region which of course is not supposed to touch the wick.

I'm getting dry hits, even when I line the air hole up perfectly.

What am I doing wrong?

Any pictures?
    Generally to stop the hot glow from the top coil to the centre post is you have to get it so the wire is minimal length.

say
    /--|
    |--|

instead of
    /----|
    |----|

if that makes sense lol

| = centre post
    / = top wire on wick.
    -- = wire to centre post
    I played, I lost, I played again, I cheated, I won.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Can you take a pic & post it for us? it'd help greatly.

I think the distance from wick to post is your issue now, try gently pushing the wick closer to the post, after loosening the coil on the post, to get it closer. Then re-tension the coil & tighten the nuts, then recheck that you have no shorts without juice in the tank, then test again with juice in the tank.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast