Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tried rewicking a Vivi Nova with SS mesh

Tried rewicking a Vivi Nova with SS mesh

I got my mesh & kanthal from the postie in Friday and couldn't help myself. I was going to wait until the AGA (thanks Stomp) got here to try mesh but I was itching to try *something*. So I went to Bunnings and got myself a blowtorch and settled into experiment mode.

I've rewicked a Nova head before so I at least knew how it went together. I made the wick & made sure it fitted then oxidized it. Then I wound the coil around a nail that was about the right size and put it all together. I fired it up & worked out the hotspots until the coils were all glowing evenly. Then I put a drop of juice on it and it fired ok. Then I filled up the tank & started to vape.

It's not bad. The flavour is excellent but not a lot of vapour although the vapour is getting better with each puff. It's still not as much vapour as a factory head although I think the flavour is just as good if not better.

Will the vapour continue to improve? I guess I'll have to wait & see.

All in all I'm quite happy with my first try at rewicking with SS. It's not as daunting as it first appears.

Next to try the AGA
    Robray, Stomp and davee like this.

AVF Regular
    I would go straight to the Aga. I don't think the vivi nova atti is that great being so high up in the tank.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by ckane View Post
    I would go straight to the Aga. I don't think the vivi nova atti is that great being so high up in the tank.
    I wondered about that myself but when you look at it, the juice has to travel further up in an AGA than a Vivi Nova (I think). Anyway the vapour seems to be increasing little by little each time I drag on it. It's not perfect but it's not bad at all.

AVF Regular
    Have you got kinks in your wick? I did try it myself a awhile ago but was getting dry hits, but then I get dry hits off silica in the novas. I guess if you did a proper U-wick it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ckane View Post
    Have you got kinks in your wick? I did try it myself a awhile ago but was getting dry hits, but then I get dry hits off silica in the novas. I guess if you did a proper U-wick it probably wouldn't be so bad.
    I cut the mesh on an angle so I didn't get those issues. It means some wasted mesh but was worth trying. It bends easily and no kinks and not one dry hit yet. Vapour is continuing to improve. It's pretty good now.
    ckane and bugzme like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    SS wicks & coils have a "break in" period on gennies & ususally start performing the best after about 3ml - 6ml of juice has been put through them.
    So apply that to the vivi & it makes sense that the vape is getting better the more you vape.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

I think it's unlikely I'm going to get plumes of vapour from this thing. The wick is really skinny as I has to fit it through the slits in the Nova head. You can squeeze silica through that gap but not mesh.So not a whole lot of juice is getting to the coil. Plus I only did 4 coils rather than 5 because I was worried about it all fitting in the tiny space and not touching the metal sides. However the flavour is really good. The resistance is really low though. When I first measure it was 1.7. Now it's showing as 1.3! Eeek.
    Last edited by Mishster; 06-01-13 at 08:06 PM.

AVF Regular
    Sounds like a short maybe. See if your coil might be touching the side?

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Probably a short between wick & coil, ie a hotspot. take the juice out & retest the coil for an even glow & make adjustments.
    davee likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

You guys were right. It was a hotspot. I tried to adjust the coils and ended up popping it. I rewound the coils and did a better job. Got a 2ohm coil now and no hotspot.
    Noe and davee like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast