Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoney
  • 3 Post By lastchance

Thread: Vamo and stacked batteries

Vamo and stacked batteries

Hey guys,

I've heard from a few places of some safety issue running stacked batteries in mods. I also see a lot of people running stacked 18350s in the Vamo.

Just bought myself a Vamo as a backup for my Provari. Is there anything I should look out for, or some reason to not run stacked?

Cheers,
    - hadricus

my personal safety estimate would be 18350 is 10 times more likely to go poof than an 18650.
    stacked 18350 say 100 times more likely to be a problem than 18650.
    add charging into the equation as well though and 18350s are even worse.

i would also chuck numbers in like chance of ever having a problem with an 18650 at like one in a million and then stacked 18350 at 1 in 10000.

these are just numbers i made up but are what my brain is pretty happy with.

if you do not need more than 10W then there is no need to go stacked.
    if you do want crazy watts, then do it, just be aware of the risks, keep the cells balanced, check endpoint voltages and after charge volts of each cell on occasion. stuff like that. important to make sure the cell insulation is good too. you could put a naked 18650 in just fine, try it stacked and its an instant short circuit for the bottom cell.

its very unlikely you will ever have a problem if you use some common sense.

oh, don't use magnets and make sure the top insulator washer is ok.
    a problem with an 18650 is a 3.7v short with a cell capable of 20 amps or so.
    a problem with stacked is a 7.4v short with cells capable of far less than 20A.

The risks are proportional to things like voltage,current and thermal mass and they multiply and square and are much greater as you use more volts in smaller cells.
    lastchance likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    if you do not need more than 10W then there is no need to go stacked.
    if you do want crazy watts, then do it, just be aware of the risks, keep the cells balanced, check endpoint voltages and after charge volts of each cell on occasion. stuff like that. important to make sure the cell insulation is good too. you could put a naked 18650 in just fine, try it stacked and its an instant short circuit for the bottom cell.

its very unlikely you will ever have a problem if you use some common sense.

oh, don't use magnets and make sure the top insulator washer is ok.
    a problem with an 18650 is a 3.7v short with a cell capable of 20 amps or so.
    a problem with stacked is a 7.4v short with cells capable of far less than 20A.

The risks are proportional to things like voltage,current and thermal mass and they multiply and square and are much greater as you use more volts in smaller cells.
    Excellent, this is exactly what I needed to know.

I'll go for a single 18650. I was only interested in stacking as I have a few 18350s already.

Do people really use naked cells though? Most vendors I see only sell those with a non-conductive skin.

not naked cells, but after a few months the heatshrink can chip away on the edges and just maybe allow the outer case of the top cell to contact the body of the mod.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    I stack'em in flashlights and the zmax and If I had a vamo I'd stack in it as well its nice to have that power there , stoneys advice is spot on " common sense " use plenty of it get a multimeter use a matched pair an police'em constantly dont cut coners stay on top 'of'em and they should be fine
    grouse, studiovape and hadricus like this.
    Smokin no good A .