Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Best setup for my Grandparents?

Best setup for my Grandparents?

Hi all,
    I'm looking at buying an E-cig kit for my grandparents to use.
    They are in their mid 80's and been smoking since they were in their teens.
    My grandfather has quit a few times but for no longer than a month. He now has emphysema and asbestosis so it is a must that he quits.
    My grandmother can't go a day without a cigarette.
    So I would like to get them some e-cigs but am a non smoker myself so have no idea what to get.

It would need to be very simple to use for them.

I'm guessing we would just buy a range of flavors for them to try?

Also, my understanding is that the flavors in Australia don't have nicotine in them? If true should I look into importing some with nicotine or will these work on a 60+ year addiction without any nicotine?

I'm on the Gold Coast so if there is any shops that sell them would also be great so we can take a look?

Any advise would be great thank you.
    essiemessy and MrGruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    Ego Twist, Vivi Nova mini. and you buy their juice and refils because they probably dont know how to order on line. Just get them some tabacco vapes.

Vaping Cobra Contact Page would be the closest

A clearomizer and ego battery or 2 and juice $50 should get them started

Quote Originally Posted by agdp07 View Post
    Hi all,

So I would like to get them some e-cigs but am a non smoker myself so have no idea what to get.

It would need to be very simple to use for them.

Also, my understanding is that the flavors in Australia don't have nicotine in them? If true should I look into importing some with nicotine or will these work on a 60+ year addiction without any nicotine?

I'm on the Gold Coast so if there is any shops that sell them would also be great so we can take a look?

Any advise would be great thank you.

Hi agdp07
    Good on you for trying to help your grandparents. Do they want to try the vaping as much as you want them to?

You are correct that you can't buy nicotine in Australia, and it has to be imported. There are quite a few different vendors, but in your case, being a non-smoker and all, I would head to Vaping Cobra so you can see what is on offer. You shouldn't have to spend too much on your initial gear, but you will have to do an overseas order for ejuice. You can also buy the gear you need from the ejuice supplier at the same time, if you would rather buy everything online.

Like arth_d said, the ego twist battery and vivi nova tank is probably the easiest setup for a newbie, with the least amount of fuss. The nova is a tank, and you just fill it up and away you go. There is a little bit of maintenance though, like cleaning your tank regularly and charging your battery etc. The thing is with vaping, is you don't mind doing any of that because you end up loving vaping so much.

That said, how do your grandparents feel about it? Are they onboard with it totally, or are they humouring you? I know some octogenarians..to describe them as set in their ways is an understatement. No offence to your grandparents, they may be totally cool ex-bohemians with radical ideas who get their groove on.

There will be a bit of a learning curve involved, but it's not too hard core, and it will be worth it. There are plenty of places overseas to buy the gear and juice from at the same time. I am sure others will come along and point you further in the right direction.

Taste is subjective, and what one likes, another wont. So you have to be prepared to have some juice that nobody likes, but you can alwys mix it with other juice to make it better, so you don't waste it.

I am sure others will come along to point you in the right direction better than I can. But a bit more info about them may help guide suggestions that would be more preferential for your grandparents.

Good luck
    Big Ev and MrGruffy like this.

Don't you think a Stardust is just as easy to refill for noobs, and looks more smooth on an Ego battery? Perhaps the full sized vivi nova is easy to refill, but looks odd on an Ego; the Minivivinova is harder to refill than a Stardust. Vaping Cobra has a lot of Stardust beginner kits that you could actually hold and see and have the refilling technique demonstrated. No need for syringes, needles etc. Vaping Cobra has an actual bricks and mortar shop where all these things could be demonstrated and starter kits purchased.
    davee and Rocksie like this.

AVF Regular
    Would love to hear how this goes. But I do hope, as KBM has pointed out, that they're really into this idea. Half the battle, and if they're going for it, I wish them all the very best
    keyboardmama likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Hi agdp07, welcome to AVF.

I'm going to make 1 assumption, which may be wrong, that your grandparents don't have a computer & would be more inclined to charge their e-cigs from a wall socket.
    So with that in mind I'll add some wall chargers to the list below, which may or may not be needed.

Tailoring a package to suit you gp's , based off of my newbie starter list, which I think will be easiest for them to use & a bit less confusing than my newbie starter list due to having less gear.
    HealthCabin is a great place to start, you can get all your newbie needs from HC, plus their prices are very reasonable, for fastest shipping use DHL or EMS & you should have your package withing about 1 week:

2 of these for grandad:
    eGo K Vision Compact Kit V2 in 26 styles [B-A9 eGo K] - $18.99 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

2 of these for grandma:
    eGo Q Vision Compact Kit V2 in 19 styles [B-A9 eGo Q] - $18.99 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

2 of these ( be sure to select AU plug style):
    Universal AC-USB Adapter [HS Charger] - $3.50 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

4 of these:
    Vision eGo/510 Clearomizer : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

1 or 2 packs of these:
    Coil Head for Vision eGo Clearomizer V3

1 box of these 18mg/ml strength:
    LIQUA Ejuice Variety Pack (10*10ml) [Z4 Liqua-3] - $35.91 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

20 bottles of these in different tobacco flavors 18mg/ml strength:
    10ml Dekang TBC E-juice in 14 flavors [Z1 DEKANG 10 Tobacco] - $2.80 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

I would normally recommend getting unflavored nic in 36mg/ml strength in 75/25 PG/VG base, to mix your own juice with doublers from an Aussie vendor but given you gp's ages, I think sticking to premixed may be better. As such I have recommended ordering what should be enough juice to keep them going until after Chinese New Year ends before needing to re-order.
    If you do decide to get that here's the link:
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php...oducts_id=7942
    Last edited by Noe; 21-01-13 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added link
    essiemessy likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Are your grandparents going to be happy tooting on something that looks like Dr Who's sonic screwdriver? You could scare them off with even something as simple as an eGo C.

If you think your grandparents might freak out, you might want to consider something that looks like a cigarette.

Sorry, I had to say it. Flame away.
    gtadmin and keyboardmama like this.
    The clean break: Last smoke on 2/12/2012, first vape on 3/12/2012.

AVF Regular
    I'd second the ego c twist recommendation. Those starter packs at around $70 are great. They come with the mini batteries also which look acceptable to newbies.

Personally I wouldn't recommend star dust clearomizers. They look great but using them several months I never got decent flavour from them.
    Last edited by Pleski; 24-01-13 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHead View Post
    Are your grandparents going to be happy tooting on something that looks like Dr Who's sonic screwdriver?
    You've done it now. I want a sonic screwdriver PV
    SmokeHead likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast