• 1 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By Adam
  • 1 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By CMB
  • 1 Post By izmali
  • 5 Post By Mick77
  • 3 Post By Adam
  • 1 Post By mathsguy

Thread: New mod coloured glasses (AKA is a VAMO better than a provari?)

New mod coloured glasses (AKA is a VAMO better than a provari?)

For a given RMS wattage, the vamo seems to vape better than the provari - it seems to get the coil up to temperature faster. For reference I am using a 2.4Ω spheroid at @ 8W RMS on the vamo - which works out to 4.38V, so 4.4V on the prov. Both units agree on the atty being 2.4Ω and have freshly charged, same age AW IMR 2000mAh batts.

Is it possible that the vamo hits with a higher voltage and shorter duty cycle? Unless the voltage differs substantially, I would have this only makes a difference in the first few fractions of a second - maybe thatís enough?

Does resistance during a puff change that much? My understanding is that thermal effects are negligible at vaping temps.

Curious to see if anyone else has felt they noticed this or checked them on a scope.

All I can think of is that Iím imagining the whole thing as a result of seeing this through new-mod-coloured glasses, but it does seem fairly real...

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Stoney reported a similar finding to you, that the Vamo was hitting better than the Provari.

I can see one difference between the two that may explain why this is the case, PWM.
    A Provari does not use PWM, the Vamo does use PWM.
    So on a Provari the power output looks like this _____________, a flat line.
    On the Vamo the power output looks more like this -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-, where the peak power is slightly more than the output power. What that means is that the coil is getting more power for a split second than it needs, then no power for a split second & this on/off on/off on/off cycle is happening many times per second.

I don't own either a provari or a Vamo, so this is just my speculation, my theory is that the Vamo could be hitting a bit harder because at that peak value of power, it is heating the coil just a bit more, the "off" periods allow the coil to cool but not enough to negate the extra heat fully.
    So that would mean effectively, that the Vamo runs slightly hotter at the coil than the Provari does because of PWM.

I am wondering if the same occurs with a Zmax, which uses the same PWM power as the Vamo & if anyone that has both a Zmax & Provari has noticed it.

Edit: Perhaps, being the mathsguy, you could calculate the difference in temperature on a 2.4Ω coil of Kanthal run at constant 8W power & 2.4Ω coil of Kanthal run at Vamo PWM 8W power, you might need to do some research to find the figures to use for your calculations though
    Last edited by Noe; 30-01-13 at 03:48 PM.
    mathsguy likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    I own both but i'll have to do some side by side testing. I use the Vamo in VW mode, so I can't really add anything at this point. When I get home I'll compare both in VV mode and see if I notice a difference.
    mathsguy likes this.

Super Moderator
    By the nature of the beast , a PWM mod will "hit" a bit harder than a regulated mod , simply because of the nature of the beast , like Noe said with the high voltage peaks followed by troughs , which will vary as to the duty cycle of the unit ... so your coil is being driven harder for a fraction of a second and then released .... its like driving an auto car by ramming your foot to the floorboards for a second , then letting it off for a second ... the increased jerk of acceleration might feel like you are going faster than your average actual speed . ... boil crap outta juice ... then stop ... boil crap , then stop lol ... It really is simply horses for courses ... a voltage average on a vamo isnt a regulated output and never will be ... That said , whichever vape does it best for you , is the one that is working for you
    mathsguy likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Stoney reported a similar finding to you, that the Vamo was hitting better than the Provari.

I can see one difference between the two that may explain why this is the case, PWM.
    On the Vamo the power output looks more like this -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-, where the peak power is slightly more than the output power. What that means is that the coil is getting more power for a split second than it needs, then no power for a split second & this on/off on/off on/off cycle is happening many times per second.

I don't own either a provari or a Vamo, so this is just my speculation, my theory is that the Vamo could be hitting a bit harder because at that peak value of power, it is heating the coil just a bit more, the "off" periods allow the coil to cool but not enough to negate the extra heat fully.
    So that would mean effectively, that the Vamo runs slightly hotter at the coil than the Provari does because of PWM.

I am wondering if the same occurs with a Zmax, which uses the same PWM power as the Vamo & if anyone that has both a Zmax & Provari has noticed it.

Edit: Perhaps, being the mathsguy, you could calculate the difference in temperature on a 2.4Ω coil of Kanthal run at constant 8W power & 2.4Ω coil of Kanthal run at Vamo PWM 8W power, you might need to do some research to find the figures to use for your calculations though
    Cheers Noe, FM - I was labouring under the misconception that the provari was also PWM - did not realise it was DC.

You would expect the coils temperature vs time to be asymmetric and heat faster than they cool in a cycle, so the coil overall would run a bit hotter, and perhaps attain a higher final temp for a given period compared to DC. Yep makes sense now, I’m not going mad after all (well not because of this at any rate!)

Modelling this to accurately calculate the difference in an actual atty would probably get you a paper in a decent journal, although you would be wise to have a little conversation about publishing or not with Joye or Provape first

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I think I remember Stoney saying that the Provari was PWM but used some electronic trickery to flatten the output?
    mathsguy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post

ive watched the pbusardo review on both where he hooks all his meters etc up and your theory is pretty spot on
    mathsguy likes this.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

AVF Regular
    My answer may take a while to explain, so bare with me......

NO
    gtadmin, mathsguy, Fatman and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Side by side, same battery, same carto tank, same voltage setting, the vamo in RMS (No 2) setting definitely gives more warmth, vapour and throat hit. Doesn't mean anything of course, that's why these things are adjustable. Set them where you like them and vape on my friends.
    giruvian, mathsguy and Fatman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick77 View Post
    My answer may take a while to explain, so bare with me......

NO
    I never thought about it like that before...
    Mick77 likes this.