Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Silica Wicks .. preparation ?

Silica Wicks .. preparation ?

Edit and TLDR .. Don't use a paperclip with any rust on it to wind with.

I started on the phoenix clone with 1.5mm wick from HG, it was fairly underwhelming but useable. Tryed 2,3,4 and 6 lengths of it .. meh.
    Then I grabbed some 3mm wick off ebay from vinney, totally different beast. Instant clouds of vapour, wicks last about 4 days before it drops off. Love it.
    I use 4.5 turns of 34 gauge fairly close wound and give it a 30 second dry burn when first fitted or rinse and burn to clean thereafter.

I was told of 'this awesome 3.5mm wick only available from the US eBay .. same stuff as GG uses and even though it says silica it is in fact ceramic wick.'

I had to have some.

It comes in 20 foot lengths for $20 and $20 postage, so did a mini group buy on a hangout and 3 of us got some with combined postage.
    now there is no mention on ebay but the paypal payment goes to silicawicks.com

After resending a lost shipment it arrived yesterday. Wound 4.5 turns of 34 .. quick dry burn provided very little smoke. Hit it with unflavoured nic juice and had a vape .. it tasted vaguely like burning paper or wood, not totally unpleasant but then I noticed what tasted like burnt oil taste in the back of my mouth.

Decided that a blowtorch first might be the go.
    fired up the propane torch and dragged a foot through it slowly till it glowed red hot, this stuff is hard to heat.
    no smoke came off
    I decided for more heat that this thicker wick would be better with 32 gauge.

Wound it with 4.5 turns of 32 gauge, dry burned .. put in about 15 drips of unflavoured and had a vape .. now there was no wood taste, but this tasted like metal. Hmm, had a few puffs and I could taste metal on my lips and it started to feel like I had been actually punched in the throat.

I changed back to the old standard .. throat was quite sore.
    had a meal and could barely taste it, throat still sore, still could taste metallic .. like aluminium foil taste.

woke this morning, throat is still a bit sore and still a little like been punched in the throat.

Now I do remember with a short in a genesis you get that metallic taste, when the coil overheats, this was not overheating in use though, was plenty wet.

So I ask if anyone has any theorys on wtf I did wrong or how to proceed.

Fatman and I spent a while researching last night on google.
    things I know ..
    Silicawicks.com calls this silica and its for ody and pennys.
    ceramic fibre exists and may have 'sizing' added that needs to be burnt off. different brands like nextel (3M) give off toxic fumes during this and a vented kiln is needed.
    my propane bottle says products of combustion maybe carcinogenic.
    ecf says the GG stuff is safe and suggest not to use nextel.
    nobody else i can see has had hassles with silicawicks.com stuff.
    he has a thread on ecf that he is active on but I want more info before asking things.
    ebay he is vurt09 .. ecf carl_d?

questions ..
    anyone else had similar ?
    seen recomended cleaning procedure ?
    are GG wicks prepared somehow, boiling, hearing ?
    was it a fluke ? should i just try again..

at a loss currently..
    Last edited by Stoney; 26-02-13 at 06:26 PM.
    Mushman and MrGruffy like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Hey Stoney... Sounds like you have short somewhere when you re-assemble. With 3mm or more Silica, because it is so thick, your coil is going to be big. When you put it in the ceramic slot, it seems to be alright while dry burn, but when you re-assemble the atty, the coil now touching metal top tube (mouth piece) that cause short.

I have that happened to me in my Penelope before, very hash dry burned taste, metallic taste .... No good for your throat. I am surprised that you kept going so today you have very bad throat.

Good luck finding the issue Stoney.

With Silica before using it, you just need to run it pass a torch for 5 secs. That is what I do, sometimes I don't even do that with my good quality Silica that I have got. This is the reason why I stop getting Silica in from my supplier, the quality is not like it used to be.

thanks vinny,
    I wondered why you stopped, I was going to ask where you got it from if you no longer are selling it, cause I love the stuff

I'm not using it in a penny though, just a little phoenix, theres no way its touching the top cap .. but .. part of the coil may be touching one of the posts after the connection .. from all I have read, it sounds like its for sure me doing something wrong.

The taste of wood has me a bit baffled but one of the ceramic fibres I looked at said it had cellulose fibres in there to assist processing and that they burn off at 200C .. could be the wood taste if it is in fact one of these ceramic type jobbies.
    Vinny likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I use the GG 3mm stuff in my Penelope and just wrap it up give it a quick burn to make sure the coils are ok and vape away. It's the only stuff I can really use as I seem to be one of those people that are very sensitive to the taste of Silica.

Not had any bad tastes other than the "wet sock taste" when it is a little dry.

In short, NFI what's going on!
    Mushman, Vinny and studiovape like this.

I had another go with it..

I noticed something that could be relevant, I was winding the coil while holding it alongside a paper clip, one of the cheap plastic coated ones with some of the plastic removed. I did not notice before that it seems a little rusty where I was winding so perhaps it added some crud to the wick.

Due to the size of this stuff and the difficulty jamming it into a phoenix then I reckon I am getting some slack coils. Perhaps a coil under the wick was a glower.

To make it a little easier to handle I tried making this wick single ended, wound the heater at one end. Didn't really help.

Anyway, third attempt and using the pre flamed wick and no wood or metallic taste noticed.

I think due to size I may save the heavy wick for doing silica in a gennie though.

Super Moderator
    Don't know what is going on with that mate I'm currently using 2.5 from ECMS with no prep other than a quick burn to check for glows and it seems okay.
    Mushman likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

I'm pretty convinced it was the paperclip actually.
    The main reason being that it has not happened before and this was a different sort of metallic taste to overheated coil.

Just having a good look at the clip under a magnifier and its quite rusty on one side .. of course its on the bottom where I wouldn't have noticed it until looking.

I am glad you found the issue Stoney.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
    Mushman likes this.

Yuk.
    Only similar thing was as Vinny explained. Wick from E-guru (like GG stuff) it is much less pliable than similar from Vapebar and didn't go into the ceramic slot well and it somehow shorted the coil. Was so much worse than a genni short and gave me a sore throat.
    With the current SS wick unknown possible health risks I have a couple more Silica attys now so would be keen to know what you find out.
    Vinny likes this.

its a nasty sore throat I got from it too, was not a sore thraot as such .. more like a sore neck, it felt more physical like having a crushed neck. I think it was like a muscle strain from my throat muscles tensing up.
    took 2 days to go away totally and had me worried when you wake up day 2 with still a sore neck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast