Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plain Packaging Legislation

A little off topic, but my son told me about this news story:
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1226057218837

So let me get this straight. Ms Roxon claims "Big tobacco are fighting to protect their profits, but we are fighting to save lives," when the industry itself is willing to half it's revenue to protect us against illegal tobacco. It's not like sales would double to cover the lose. It's utter madness.

Add to this that "It has also threatened to force the government to cough up billions of dollars in compensation if the industry is forced to remove branding from cigarette packets." Regardless of the outcome of such a case, fighting it alone will cost thousands of dollars PER DAY.

If she was so serious about protecting our health she wouldn't be fighting to hard against electronic cigarettes, and solution that won't cost tax payers a cent, and could actually encourage local business to become world leaders.

Who left this nut job in charge?!?
    Last edited by soundasleep; 17-05-11 at 05:38 PM.

Sik
    Where is the proof that they are fighting to save lives ?

Its a cop out and a political statement to act tough. Its not going to stop a single person from buying a pack of smokes.... Because the olive doesnt go with my shoes
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Would be a good time for the tobacco industry to develop branded mass-produced juice, they could even use it for PR, saying they're more committed to health than the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Where is the proof that they are fighting to save lives ?

Its a cop out and a political statement to act tough. Its not going to stop a single person from buying a pack of smokes.... Because the olive doesnt go with my shoes
    I believe their line of thinking is that it will discourage new smokers, but given that it's illegal to advertise or even display cigarettes, it's false logic.

Just as long as they don't call the generic branding "olive" green. People won't buy my olives if they do that. Jerks.

Useless pack of retards, I wouldn't even trust em with a BB gun.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MACCA350 View Post
    Useless pack of retards, I wouldn't even trust em with a BB gun.

Cheers
    what luck, they are illegal too..
    oh, no i was thinking of airsoft guns.

but thats OT.

I don't think these people are really as moronic as they come across, they obviously did some sort of uni degree and then landed themself a cushy public service job, which they have to justify.

My take is that the real reasoning behind what they are up to is decided out of earshot behind closed doors or sifted down from above, then they need to come up with a story that meets the agenda and hopefully joe public will swallow. It don't always make sense.
    The fake story is more likely to match next years budgetary requirements than anything else. I am sure the gov would love to increase the excise yet again.

I do wonder what would happen if they just banned tobacco period, thats thats pretty close to what the line is on ecigs. Is there an over ruling human rights law or something. Does the UN come in with the gunships ?
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    If all the (fake) graphic pics have no effect, what will that do?

My take is that they know very well it'll have no effect other than to be seen to be "doing something" and thus keep the revenue flowing, the anti-smoking industry feeling secure and the profits flowing to the tobacco companies and BP.

Lets face it, if it wasnt for the revenue flow and vested interests, they'd just ban smoking if it they were serious - with the same gay abandon they seem to be attempting to ban vaping.

Like I said previously, the only context any of this policy nightmare makes any sense in is when you take vested interests into account.

AVF Regular
    Its only spin. who listens. ! They lie from dawn to dusk. Whatever they say will have been through the spin machine and homogenised.
    would be nice to get a bit of level truth from politicians but will never happen.

I understand that of a $16 pack of smokes $11 is tax and retail mark up I wonder how much big tobacco can realy reduce the price of a pack? So a pack goes from $16 to $14, not a great saving, and the Government will just raise tax again, the only losers are the consumer and big tobacco.Doesnt seem to make sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast