Thought Experiment: What we would say in an interview?

I've been thinking about this one a bit today, figured that it was way beyond just my ability and it was time to consult the hive mind.

Channel 9 has already done an interview with the owner of Aussie Blue (even if it's not the story most people saw) and the way things are going it's only a matter of time before another media outlet wants to talk to somebody from "the other side" of the argument.

What would we say?

I had a friend involved in a TV show and learnt the hard way that you have to think about every single word you use so it can't be edited in any way to twist your original intent. News inparticular is all about the "sound bit".

So what do people think?

Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    So what do people think?
    My two-bob's worth.

I think it would be most important to hammer home the "harm reduction" message. To me that's what it's all about. Firstly deal quickly and honestly with the dangerous and addictive nature of nicotine, but ramming home the fact that that it is the *combustion* of tobacco which provides the harm. Stress that nicotine is quite acceptable in currently approved NRTs which can be purchased in any supermarket. This leads to an obvious segue explaining that existing NRTs don't work for most people because they deliver Nicotine slowly whereas the smoker is used to the near-instantaneous nic-hit received from a normal cigarette which an e-cig, unlike say a patch, can provide. Some anecdotal (because that's all we've got) evidence on e-cig efficacy (vis a vis conventional NRTs) in smoking cessation should follow.

There should be some very quick references to some of the key findings of the few credible reports which have been done (very brief, no science, just findings). My personal opinion is that we should conclude with something like "we acknowledge that further research is required and we strongly advocate it, but in the meantime the current status quo should be allowed to continue. Personal importation of e-cigs should be permitted according to existing TGA rules on personal importation but general availability should remain restricted until the safety of the devices can be fully proven."

Finally, the message should be delivered by somebody who looks respectable and conservative, wears a shirt and tie and has no visible tattoos, piercings or other body modifications. Yeah, I know, dull, but the Greens never got anywhere until they wheeled out Bob Brown. A message delivered by a person who looks (to the older generation) like somebody about to mug them isn't going to help the cause. Some media training would be good too, but we're probably unlikely to find anybody with it.
    Last edited by hobotivo; 19-05-11 at 11:32 AM.

AVF Regular
    I guess we would need to elect a spokesperson who can handle the trick questions-(the ones where the interviewer frames the question to get the answer they can twist around..)

I'm a media liaison officer with the local SES here, got a few tips that may help.

Take your time: they aren't going to show you sitting there silent for half a minute thinking of a response, so you can relax and take your time in answering the questions.
    Smile: we're giving out a good message about how wonderful these products are, smile and use positive body language, until you talk about customs :P
    Don't use slang: Using slang in an interview can convey a message to certain demographics, but our target demographic is the general public as a whole (as well as lawmakers and health experts)
    Develop a media brief: A quick dot-point document with the key messages you would like to get across, as an example one of the points may be "Studies have shown that electronic cigarettes offer significant health advantages over traditional cigarettes." These points are intended to be used multiple times, tying in to different questions - it increases the chance that one of the key messages gets included in the end product.
    Ask for the questions in advance: Many media organisations are happy to provide a list of questions that they intend to ask a couple of hours before the interview, this gives you time to work out your answers, find places to insert your key message, and rehearse any body language that you intend to include.

If I think of more I'll edit this post

wow .. ^^^ thats some good stuff there.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    wow .. ^^^ thats some good stuff there.
    Seconded. Let's elect Bass Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hobotivo View Post
    Let's elect Bass Junkie
    I second that ... its done then.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I'm 3 hours from the nearest capital city, so might be best to choose someone more convenient