Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sik

Ban Ciggies ! derp

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no...521-1ey2s.html

Just what the world needs, more politicians telling people how to live their lives.
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Mike Daube, president of the Australian Council on Smoking and Health and deputy chairman of the federal government's National Preventative Health Taskforce, backed the scheme but said the onus should also be on the tobacco industry to clean up its act. ''You could give them 10 years in which to produce a product that is acceptable by any health standards and if they can't do that then their product will be treated like any other product and may no longer be sold,'' Professor Daube said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no...#ixzz1N2xUppdL
    As I understand it it si possible for the ciggarette companies to manufacture less toxic ciggies but as hey are not allowed to advertise them as less toxic no tobacco company is interested.

In my opinion at least if the government pushed for a smoking ban you would see thier intentions as pure. Plain packaging, raising taxes etc all seem as much about perceptions and revenue rather than preventing people from smoking. Not saying I agree with the idea but certainly I would rather them ban smokes then e cigs and indeed if they banned e cigs I would rather see them ban smokes too to give me some chance of staying off them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

Just what the world needs, more politicians telling people how to live their lives.
    Dear God-- where will it all end?.
    The We Will Protect You From Yourself hand wringers will soon run out of people to hate! Now that they have socially engineered the public at large to villify and denigrate people who are seen smoking soon they will have to search high and low for a group to demonise---

(anti- smoking Drinkers should wipe that superior smirk off their face ---because soon the Jackboots could be coming for them as well!)

Soon we will be looking for a free Country somewhere to go and live.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

These nutjobs really need to take a good long hard look at themselves, there are so many much more important things in the world they could be putting their efforts into instead of trying to be media whores targetting things in society they know will get them into the headlines, I blame the media and their sensationalist crap.

/End Rant

EGO-T 1000Mah; GoGo; Provari; JIB x 2

Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post

(anti- smoking Drinkers should wipe that superior smirk off their face ---because soon the Jackboots could be coming for them as well!)

Already happened gert.

"Alcohol consumption causes more than 5000 cases of cancer in Australia each year - more than half of them breast cancer, new figures show.
    A Cancer Council analysis reveals the number of cancer cases caused by long-term drinking in Australia is far higher than previously thought, following strong international evidence of its link to a broader range of cancer types.

Council chief executive Professor Ian Olver said: ''Alcohol has always been associated with less common malignancies like liver and - in conjunction with smoking - head and neck.

''But evidence of its association with common [cancers] like breast and bowel makes the population impact far greater.''

The analysis, published yesterday in The Medical Journal of Australia, shows that more than 2600 - or one in five - new cases of breast cancer in Australia are caused by drinking.

Alcohol caused almost 1300 cancers of the mouth, pharynx and larynx (41 per cent) and almost 600 cancers of the oesophagus (51 per cent).
    It is also responsible for 500 bowel cancers in men (7 per cent), and is probably the cause of 400 bowel cancers in women (7 per cent).
    Overall, researchers attribute 5 per cent of cancers to long-term alcohol consumption.

Professor Olver said the new evidence of its link to a broader range of cancers made alcohol ''one of the most carcinogenic products in common use''.

Cancer Council guidelines state there is no safe level of alcohol consumption, and abstaining altogether is the only way to eliminate the risk of developing certain cancers."

Taken from the Sydney Morning Herald

Sik

Life may in fact result in death.

You can live your life have fun, indulge and enjoy it, or you can not do pretty much anything pleasurable and fucking die anyway !

Hands off my life politician, do-gooding, wont someone think of the children, nanny state fucksticks.

I heard a brilliant one from a friend of mine recently:
    "There appears to be a direct link between breathing and cancer. 100% of people who have died from cancer have been found to have also been chronic breathers. In order to reduce cancer rates we recommend that people stop breathing. We admit there will be an inital spike in death rates (although when averaged out over time this spike is statistically neligable) but beyond this we expect that cancer rates across the globe will drop to zero."

Yak
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    The We Will Protect You From Yourself hand wringers will soon run out of people to hate! Now that they have socially engineered the public at large to villify and denigrate people who are seen smoking soon they will have to search high and low for a group to demonise---

Soon we will be looking for a free Country somewhere to go and live.
    "This would be offset by health savings, as the annual smoking-related medical burden tops $31 billion"

I don't ride a motorbike, I don't go bushwalking, I don't go sailing on the ocean, and don't drink excessively (if at all).
    If I have to pay for the costs of "smoking" could I claim a reinbursment of the above "community costs?"
    EVeryone know motorbike riders are over represented in accidents, and I think the MINIMUM cost of a search/rescue is about $20,000
    Could these above users apply for a licence before my cigarettes taxes get spent on rescuing these people?

Yak.
    Yak, Bright, Early<-- Pick any TWO!

It's bad enough that when that $31.5b number gets thrown around the anti-smoking groups are very careful to avoid mentioning that over $18b of that are "indirect social costs" and than even according to the study that number comes from the majority of these are bourne directly by the smokers themselves. "annual smoking-related medical burden tops $31 billion" is just plain old BS.

The direct medical costs from smoking are less than $1b. That's why the gov'ment is so afraid to lose their tobacco excise revenue. Even after all the direct spending on health costs, they are still left with between $4-5b to spend on other things. Like company cars, fund raising dinners, fact finding trips to Disneyland, etc, etc.

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    fact finding trips to Disneyland, etc, etc.
    they better find mossjr's cousins cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast