AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Workplace ban on ecigs

hi all, i was informed that my workplace in vic is trying to ban electronic cigarettes on the work site completely which is crazy, im going to fight them over this and need some proof on paper that ecigs are legal, i was shown a piece of paper last night at work saying that ecigs are banned in vic and need some proof otherwise.

i dont smoke my ecig indoors and still sit in the designated smoking area, please help my fight theese ignorant fools who clearly dont know or understand what they are talking about...any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

also i might add that my work is saying that it is not only ilegal to smoke ecigs but its ilegal to posess one!
    Last edited by datfun; 01-06-11 at 04:15 PM.

AVF Regular
    If you can sift through the following link, you may find what your looking for?
    http://smokescreen.neogotham.net

BananaMan
    The only thing illegal about ecigs is that nicotine is not allowed to be sold inside of Australia. That is all.
    Your employers are uninformed and would be crazy to think that having their smoking workers switch to ecigs wouldn't raise productivity.
    Smokescreen has a dedicated domain now: http://smokescreen.info/

That's the old URL (though it does still work). The site now lives in smokescreen.info (oops, beaten to it while ranting)

In summary:
    Usage and possession of e-cigarettes without nicotine is no more illegal (or dangerous) than an asthma inhaler.
    With nicotine several health departments are currently claiming it's Schedule 7 (therefore illegal to obtain or possess in most states - this is the nicotine ONLY) but it falls within the Poisons Standard 2010 definition of Schedule 2.

Some health departments have confirmed that it *could* fall within this category and therefore legal under the TGA's Personal Importation Scheme, but won't come out and 100% confirm or deny this.

The "official" government stance in e-cigs is on the TGA website. Notice the use of vague language (and the usual "not safe in absolute terms" failback) and demonstrably incorrect science (ie: yes ejuice contains carcinogens but at or below the same levels found in approved NRTs and is not a "dangerous poison" in ecigs any more than in any other NRT).

As a side note I received a letter from the office of Nicola Roxon today that says exactly the same thing. Stupid form responding SOBs. Anyway...

Of course, they give these sort of vague warnings, recommending the use of an "approved NRT" when we know full well that the use of Champix is far from safe for many people.

If there is something more specific you are after, please let me know.
    Last edited by soundasleep; 01-06-11 at 04:44 PM.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    thanks for the replys, its not looking like there is any one piece of information that im able to print out and take into these twits, ill keep reading through the links that have been posted. cheers

Would be nice to do up a printable fact sheet in PDF format. Something shiny

AVF Regular
    I wish I could point you to an offical document that clearly states that the devices are legal but as the health department and media are doing their best to create a perception that they are not through half truths it's a hard ask, but I will keep looking.

AVF Regular
    I dont think this is any help t you Datfun but i saw this on the ECF Website today

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...n-analogs.html

I cant believe your employer and this arbitatry decision when you are only in the Smokers area-I dont think they have a right matter of fact.!