Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Educational Videos

After going round, and round, and round in circles with government agencies I'm come to this conclusion:

Our government doesn't want to support electronic cigarettes until they find a way of making money from them.

Despite the fact that the Department of Health and Ageing acknowledges that nic juice *could* be Schedule 2 if the states agree, the states themselves won't recognise it this way until it's at minimum TGA listed - which would cost around $10k - as they are focused on the SALE of these products rather than be willing to give an acknowledgment to PERSONAL IMPORTATION.

So basically talking to gov'ment for "health" groups is like beating your head against a brick wall. What we need to something that gets the information out to those who wouldn't bother reading scientific articles or even blogs.

We need videos.

I'm working on producing a few edu-videos and wanted to ask the hive mind what sort of topic we should approach.

My first idea to to talk Nicola Roxon's words and point out all the falsehoods with the relevant evidence.

What else could we do?

Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    After going round, and round, and round in circles with government agencies I'm come to this conclusion:

Our government doesn't want to support electronic cigarettes until they find a way of making money from them.

Despite the fact that the Department of Health and Ageing acknowledges that nic juice *could* be Schedule 2 if the states agree, the states themselves won't recognise it this way until it's at minimum TGA listed - which would cost around $10k - as they are focused on the SALE of these products rather than be willing to give an acknowledgment to PERSONAL IMPORTATION.

So basically talking to gov'ment for "health" groups is like beating your head against a brick wall. What we need to something that gets the information out to those who wouldn't bother reading scientific articles or even blogs.

We need videos.

I'm working on producing a few edu-videos and wanted to ask the hive mind what sort of topic we should approach.

My first idea to to talk Nicola Roxon's words and point out all the falsehoods with the relevant evidence.

What else could we do?
    I agree, videos are an awesome way to show the truth and express our views.

The Nicola Roxon video is a start, but Im thinking that perhaps all negative, ill informed, and downright lies that are shown in the media would be good fodder for videos showing the truth of the lies...

AVF Regular
    Agree with all the above.
    Wish there was some way to get the message out to the people. I think 90% of the problem is the lazy and misinformed belching of lies by the media. There appears to be a deliberate effort to discredit eCigs-trying to paint Vaping as a sort of criminal underground activity..(.like surburban drug labs)
    Videos are a good idea but how to get them displayed ?

Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    Despite the fact that the Department of Health and Ageing acknowledges that nic juice *could* be Schedule 2 if the states agree, the states themselves won't recognise it this way until it's at minimum TGA listed - which would cost around $10k
    Why don't we pool some loot and get it listed ?.
    JuiceWhore Sig

#1 on the spaceship
    Pro-Hairy dual weilder !

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
    Why don't we pool some loot and get it listed ?.
    Unfortunately it's not that easy. Listing would be it fully legal to sell in each state at pharmacies. Obviously this is the LAST thing that our health orgs are going to allow at this stage. That $10k cost doesn't guarantee they will actually approve it, and it only approves a single product from a single vendor - and there is an on-going yearly renewal cost.

It's all down to the wording. Nicotine is not S7 if used for "human therapeutic use". The states don't want to acknowledge this without getting their cut (TGA approval) and also won't recognise that we are importing the stuff for UNAPPROVED THERAPEUTIC USE. It's a bit of a nightmare. If I have time I'll call the Department of Health (Vic) and tomorrow and try and clarify more details.

They are making these calls based on interpertation rather than actual law which is the only current glimmer of hope...

Sik
    ideally i'd like to get my nic juice where-ever, like ciggys :P. If it did get classified as S2 (Pharmacy only) wouldnt that mean we can no longer import it ?
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Hi, just been looking through legislation documents from TGA and customs and came across this stuff:

From “Access to unapproved therapeutic goods: Personal importation:”
    SITUATIONS WHERE PERSONAL IMPORTATION IS FURTHER REGULATED
    Special approval from the TGA for the purpose of the C(PI) Regulations is required prior to importation of:
    • medicines subject to control under Regulation 5H of the C(PI) Regulations and listed in Schedule 8 of those Regulations. This includes anabolic substances, androgenic steroids and treatments for alcohol and drug addiction.

From “CUSTOMS (PROHIBITED IMPORTS) REGULATIONS 1956 - REG 5H”
    Importation of certain goods
    (2) The importation into Australia of goods specified in Schedule 8 to these Regulations is prohibited unless the Secretary or an authorised officer has, by instrument in writing, granted permission to import the goods and the instrument is produced to the Collector.

From “CUSTOMS (PROHIBITED IMPORTS) REGULATIONS 1956 - SCHEDULE 8”
    Goods the importation of which is prohibited if permission is not granted under regulation 5H

13 Preparations that purport to be a remedy for drunkenness, alcoholic habit or drug habit.

I can see how nic juice could be exempt from personal import due to this. I'm beginning to wonder if, as you mentioned in another thread, that the best we can hope for at the moment is that our international orders continue to go mostly unnoticed.

Something else I noticed in the “Access to unapproved therapeutic goods: Personal importation:” document that we should be careful of:
    The promotion of unapproved therapeutic goods is an offence under subsection 22(6) of Chapter 3 (medicines) and Section 41MM of Chapter 4 (medical devices) of the Act, and carries a financial penalty. A person must not intentionally or recklessly make a claim, by any means, that the person or another person can arrange the supply of unapproved therapeutic goods.

Luckily Nicotine is at the very worst S7, not S8. S8 is reserved for drugs like heroin and cocaine.

The last paragraph doesn't apply as we are importing for personal (or immediate family members) only - nobody is supplying.

Fortunately cigarette smoking is also not consider a "drug addicition" either.

Nice research skills though

nic is listed worst case as schedule 7, schedule 8 is for drugs and is simply banned. You are looking more at controls for things like methadone.
    The first and last points you have there (Access to unapproved therapeutic goods) is not going to apply as it is not recognised as a therapeutic good or medicine. I am starting to be of the opinion that this may be a good thing. As it stands .. they have no real idea what to do with it, if listed as sched 2 then I can see limits imposed and further regulation.
    I think they have a legal minefield on their hands with the simple fact that it is allowed in cigarettes unregulated to a large extent apart from all the guff involved with paying the exorbitant duty involved.
    I am sure that all this questioning of government depts will eventually get it clarified. I don't think we will like the result.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    ideally i'd like to get my nic juice where-ever, like ciggys :P. If it did get classified as S2 (Pharmacy only) wouldnt that mean we can no longer import it ?
    If it was officially an S2 medicine we wouldn't need to import it - but only pharmacies could sell it.

Perfect world it would be exempt like tobacco, but I can't see that either happening...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast