Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Claims that Ecigarettes Fail as a Smoking Cessation Product get DEBUNKED

Claims that Ecigarettes Fail as a Smoking Cessation Product get DEBUNKED

This tweet appeared in my feeds the other day. I noticed that it was retweeted by other Professors of Public Health in the UK, which is disconcerting, particularly during these uncertain times in UK ecig regulation.

The tweet links to a study that claimed to give evidence that electronic cigarettes fail to prevent people from smoking tobacco.

The publisher of the tweet is currently conducting a government funded study that collects information about people who quit smoking by abstaining from nicotine. He is most likely looking for further government funding for this study. The person who made the tweet has also been vocal about, and published papers that heavily advises policy that prohibits nicotine.

A more credible Public Health professor on electronic cigarettes, Micheal Siegel of Boston University, debunks the study that was promoted by the above tweeter.

Here is an excerpt from Professor Siegel's response ;

A great way to "manufacture" such a result would be to selectively choose a sample of smokers who tried to quit using electronic cigarettes and failed, and then to wait until they call a quitline and then see what proportion are able to quit at that point. Even though these smokers may not be actually trying to quit using electronic cigarettes when they call the quitline, you would count them as electronic cigarette users and attribute their cessation rates to the electronic cigarette group. You could then compare this group with smokers who did not fail a quit attempt using electronic cigarettes.

Yesterday, a new study appeared online ahead of print in the journal Nicotine & Tobacco Research. To my shock, the study did exactly what the hypothetical tobacco industry study above did!
    You can read Micheal Siegel's full article here.

I felt this important to elaborate on as I am certain that the Sydney University Tweeter will try to promote the false statistic in future main stream news articles.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 18-05-13 at 07:49 PM.

AVF Regular
    the rate of continued tobacco abstinence would depend greatly on which ecig products a person had access to, I reckon. if all ya had was shitty cigalikes with crappy battery life and prefilled cartos with nasty tasting juice, it'd make it very difficult.
    GirlyPantz, alca and mavinry4 like this.

AVF Regular
    totally agree Kay, I tried about 2 years ago on a cig e like and while it was useful in certain situations it wasnt really a replacement for real smoking, whereas now, havent had an analogue in over a week. Even managed to give up that 1st thing in the morning smoke (jeese tho that was hard even with the vaping!)

AVF Regular
    good for you liz. stick at it. it's not easy to change a life time's habit, but you'll get there
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Am happy as right now some 30 something years of smoking and numerous attempts at giving up and I have finally managed to kick it. I cant even stand the smell or taste of them now. Had a drag of one last night at a mates and nearly threw up!
    Flea, GirlyPantz, kay67kay and 1 others like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizBiz25 View Post
    Am happy as right now some 30 something years of smoking and numerous attempts at giving up and I have finally managed to kick it. I cant even stand the smell or taste of them now. Had a drag of one last night at a mates and nearly threw up!
    Try smoking a full cancer stick in a weeks time & see if you can hold your lunch down
    tally-ho likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    thats the thing, after 2 or 3 weeks, we are back to a 14 year old trying a smoke for the first time, what a kick ass side-effect of vaping.
    Big Ev, tally-ho and Genecigs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LizBiz25 View Post
    GirlyPantz, margyb, bevoh and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    hmmmm.... Might have to start phoning the Quit Line just to report that it is getting close to 2.5 years since I had a smoke thanks to e-cigs and that the e-cig forums offer a far superior support network.

If they are using Quit Line to gather data we can at least have some input, success stories will probably be ignored but its worth a shot.
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 18-05-13 at 10:36 PM.

AVF Regular
    To soon to say that I'm a non smoker but can't ever see goin back after vaping,if only the aus government would make nic easier to get for people trying to get away from cigarettes and better options at stors for ecigs I think the number of people heading towards ecigs would rise dramatically,getting sic allready of 1 bad comment is getting the press and the end goal of switchers is getting over looked.my opinion.cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast