Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Nicotine eliquid implicated in toddler's death

Nicotine eliquid implicated in toddler's death

The death of a child in Israel has been attributed to ingesting nicotine based eliquid. I don't have much more detail at this stage.

A two-year-old girl who ingested liquid nicotine from an electronic cigarette passed away on Tuesday evening in Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem's Ein Karem, Army Radio reported.
    http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/T...es-away-314683

Tragic if true, but regardless of the authenticity of the story; it's just a reminder to us all to keep nicotine eliquids and ecigs out of reach of children; just as we would any other of the many products around our homes that have the potential to harm a child.
    Last edited by icarus; 29-05-13 at 10:31 PM.

AVF Regular
    Oh no, that's terrible, terrible news. I can see how easily it would happen, the juice is so sweet and tasty like candy...very attractive to children.

Yes, there is going to be an uproar, and with good reason. A chilling reminder of how dangerous what we are doing is for little kids...and pets for that matter.

Saw that before, it will be everywhere. But look at the number of OD's there have been in kids (couldn't find a fatal one yet googling) from NRT. The point is always not to leave poisons around children and animals, of any kind!
    Poor kid, poor family
    lheamfrg likes this.

AVF Regular
    Very sad
    Will be interested in more detail
    And yes keep all your medicines, cleaning agents, mothballs etc out of kids reach ( I know you all do )

Even though some eliquids can be sweet, the nic adds the burning sensation; which I hoped may have helped prevent this sort of thing from happening, assuming it happened - but I guess it only takes a very small amount given the age of the child. I remember reading somewhere the nicotine content of a single cigarette is enough to cause death in an infant. This is the first report of the death of a child from nicotine eliquids I've heard of.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Parents need to take care to keep anything dangerous out of a small child's reach, it could just as easily been a bottle of cough syrup or household bleach or a bottle of pills.
    It's sad but it isn't the fault of the e-juice, it's the fault of the parents.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

very sad but did any see that story about the baby that got flushed down the toilet today?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Parents need to take care to keep anything dangerous out of a small child's reach, it could just as easily been a bottle of cough syrup or household bleach or a bottle of pills.
    It's sad but it isn't the fault of the e-juice, it's the fault of the parents.
    I dunno Noe, I think e-juice is dangerously attractive to little kids. Bleach, pills and cough medicine don't smell like yummy lollies, nor does a toddler observe his parent sucking back on bleach or pills many times a day with obvious pleasure and enjoyment..and out of something that looks quite similar to a baby's bottle. There a few things that make e-juice much more enticing to a toddler than bleach and medicine.

Also, the nicotine is absorbed very fast and efficiently through the mucous membrane in the mouth and throat, so the child doesn't even have to swallow it, like they would with bleach or pills. By the time it's burning it's too late.

Unvaporized Nicotine liquids are not sweet and tasty. Drop a few drops onto your own tongue and you'll see they taste horrible. How this child drank enough to kill herself is very suspicious in my opinion.

In either case, knee jerk reactions will be rampid. I think it goes without saying that all nicotine liquid bottles should have child safety caps.

Genecigs likes this.

CHILD PROOF bottles should be mandatory!!! I hope all eliquid vendors take note
    jen likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast