Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Where's the evidence for NRT?

Retired Account

Where's the evidence for NRT?

I've just been reading through some articles and blogs this morning, and I've seen a lot of official fence sitting from the scientific and medical communities.
    The paraphrased version of what they've got to say is that ecigarettes are likely to be safer than tobacco smoking, but we don't have a definitive answer on it yet.
    In the meantime, people should stick to evidence based successful tools for quitting that are currently available (I guess this means NRT and medications, largely).
    Yet, I haven't seen any of this evidence based scientific stuff about how good and successful the current regimens are!
    Anecdotally, out of all the smokers I know who have tried them, I know of one person who successfully quit cold turkey, and that was on the day her father died from lung cancer.
    In 100s of people I have known through my life who smoke, pretty much all of them have tried to quit using conventional methods and failed.
    So where is all this evidence that these medications and NRT are useful to helping someone quit?
    Perhaps it's a new avenue to pursue the antz folk with.. show us your evidence base that these conventional things work and ecigarettes are a gateway to smoking, a method of smokers "cheating" and getting their nicotine where they are forbidden to smoke (dual use) and show us where ecigarettes companies are focussing on hooking children into nicotine addiction?
    I predict that for every bit of research claiming these conventional tools are successful, we can find 10 articles which refute their evidence, or show how the conventional tools are actually dangerous (eg. zyban and champix).
    Why do we need to be on the defensive? Why can't we turn it around and ask these scientists and researchers to prove to us that the conventional methods actually safely work to get smokers quit?

AVF Regular
    Who knows maybe one day one of the "experts" may come in here and start a thread to convince us all that we didnt really give up smoking. I wont hold my breath though.
    GirlyPantz and mrsgruffy like this.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

To be a therapeutic good I'm not sure it needs to work unless you make very specific claims. Well it certainly doesn't need to work for everyone because almost nothing does. Pharmacies are stacked with stuff with dubious efficacy. All those vitamins and tissue salts for example. While all those nicobate type products that cost a fortune might only work for 1 in a 100 people they aren't actually harming the other 99 health wise. Altho imho vaping is basically safe and the positives vastly outweigh continuing to smoke, I am not convinced creating a vapour from food flavourings and colourings is risk free. I have genuine concerns regarding acrylamide for example.

Eliquids have no binding or uniform safety codes. As consumers we have very little visibility on how, where, or in what circumstances these liquids are being made. As consumers we are placing a shitload of trust in people, who may very well be good people, but who nonetheless are doing it as a commercial concern.

While our right to vape needs to be defended, the safety of these products isn't something we as consumers should be trying to prove. That is the producers' obligation. And it's not an obligation they owe to regulatory authorities, it's an obligation they owe to us. The people who are inhaling these products.

I'm probably in a minority around here on this but I actually understand why health authorities are cautious. I wouldn't want to be the public official who gave this a green light and ten years later had to account for acrylamide related cancers.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

I have used patches gum etc and successfully stopped for a period of time. No doubt physical addiction was defeated. My problem is more that I like nicotine, more than like nicotine even. Inevitably, I would miss that satisfying ritual, the punctuation marks of the day that smoking gives you. I am sure I am not alone here, but vaping for me is an enjoyable, pleasurable experience but pretty much meaningless without the nicotine and the delivery via vaporization. I have zero interest in ceasing my usage of this wonderful chemical. I am just happy I no longer need smelly smokes to get this enjoyment anymore. Vaping to me is so much more enjoyable and satisfying than smoking in every way.

they are clutching at straws and they know it,
    the chances of any of them spouting anything officially but the standard spiel of 'unknown, possibly dangerous' regardless of evidence ( that they will conveniently ignore till the cows come home) is bloody remote imo.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

NRT = Boring, clinical, sterile
    Vaping = Interesting, fun, satisfying
    margyb and mrsgruffy like this.

In a study of those using nicotine chewing gum, only 7.7% of the prescribed gum group and 8.4% in the over the counter gum group were not smoking at six months.

Real-World" Nicotine Gum and Patch Quitting Rates, by John R. Polito, 06/30/2002

A study on the effectiveness of nicotine patches found just 8.2% had abstained from smoking after 24 weeks.

The Real Story Behind the Nicotine Patch and Smoking Cessation

Pushing these "approved" NRT products in the majority of cases appears to be setting people up for failure.
    margyb, mavinry4 and mrsgruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    I think patches would have worked for me if I hadn't developed a nasty sensitivity to the sticky stuff. I went 5 weeks without a smoke on the patches (while I was working in a pub before smoking was banned in them) before it got to the point that I was completely covered in hives from them. now I can't even wear on for a few hours without ending up with a great big, red, angry looking welt where the patch was.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Boston, MA – Nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs) designed to help people stop smoking, specifically nicotine patches and nicotine gum, do not appear to be effective in helping smokers quit long-term, even when combined with smoking cessation counseling, according to a new study by researchers at Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and the University of Massachusetts Boston.

The study appears January 9, 2012 in an advance online edition of Tobacco Control and will appear in a later print issue.

Harvard School of Public Health HSPH News Nicotine replacement therapies may not be effective in helping people quit smoking
    GirlyPantz and margyb like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    I think patches would have worked for me if I hadn't developed a nasty sensitivity to the sticky stuff. I went 5 weeks without a smoke on the patches (while I was working in a pub before smoking was banned in them) before it got to the point that I was completely covered in hives from them. now I can't even wear on for a few hours without ending up with a great big, red, angry looking welt where the patch was.

exactly the same here kay, I went a lot longer though, probably 4 months or so, every time I dropped patch strength though I was back on the cigarettes and then became extremely sensitive to them. Its some sort of latex allergy apparently to one of the plastics.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast