Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Vapes of Groth
  • 3 Post By tally-ho

Thread: The Fear of Vaping = The Fear of New Technology

The Fear of Vaping = The Fear of New Technology

It is not really surprising to hear irrational voices of hysteria when it comes to vaping. Who among us hasn't come across smokers who look at PV's with suspicion and a little fear?

This is actually to be expected.

When steam trains were being developed that would lurch people down the track at a whopping 35 mph it was feared that the air would be drawn out of the carriages and people would be unable to breathe.

The conquering of humans by robots and computers is a common theme that still haunts many people today.

But as we get used to the new technologies the hysteria dies down, and it seems like with vaping that the early hysterical voices are slowly becoming quieter. The UK leads the way with many doctors, ASH and even some government bodies considering the potential benefit of smokers switching to vaping. Positive media stories are becoming more common and are gaining traction. I remember articles in Australian papers just a couple of years ago feeding the flames of irrational fear. Now we are getting increasingly positive articles.

As we vape in public more and more smokers switch to vaping it will be increasingly accepted.

It would be interesting to hear the take up rates of e-cigs in Australia and how quickly people are accepting the new tech.

I remember hearing a number of times that Australians have the highest, or nearly the highest, take-up rates of new technologies in the world, so I feel very confident that it will soon become commonplace here as long as there is no major scare campaign or the government doesn't overreach with bans or excessive taxation.

I think the lack of bricks and mortar shops has really slowed down the takeup of e-cigs here. As a confirmed Luddite who would be lucky to use their paypal account once a year I had to be really, really, really motivated to take up vaping. Quite frankly most smokers are not that desperate. But I know if I'd walked past a shop selling them I wouldn't have walked past, I'd have walked straight in and walked out with enough kit to get me started. Just being able to purchase them over the counter would have reassured me they were "safe".

I think the lack of bricks and mortar shops has really slowed down the takeup of e-cigs here.
    That and the law forbidding the sale or supply of nicotine. Lift the ban on nicotine sale and brick and mortar shops would be opening up all over the place. Much easier to sell to the public if you can actually allow the customer a demonstration before buying. Hell, lift the ban on nicotine and I would be opening a brick and mortar shop tomorrow.

Yes, the authorities have listened to the fearmongers and vested interests and have hamstrung the take-off of e-cigs in Australia by their stupid ban on the retail sale of nicotine eliquids. Despite this, it is spreading, but much more slowly than if we had sensible regulation that considered relative harm instead of a knee-jerk reaction against new, scary technology.

AVF Regular
    And yet the likes of PayPal US won't come at being used to buy e-liquid etc. Seems we have a very long way to go.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.