UK NEWS - e-cigs regulated as medicines by 2016 :(

AVF Regular
    Already a thread about this. Did you even look before you decided to post?

I did Timmy, there's nothing new re this showing in this subforum in bold for me. I did only just get up though.

AVF Regular

Thanks for the link, looked in the political and media section as that's where I would expect something like this to be posted.

I don't get it, all the articles on this say say "will require a prescription" then also say "ecigs will still be sold at shops and news agents if ecig companies pay a fee and pass compliance"

Isn't it meant to be either on prescrption or not ? not on prescription but also for sale atnews agents?

Cross-posting from another thread since it is probably more appropriate here:

Regulation for safety and quality is a positive thing. I suspect most of us agree on this. My former long-term addiction to cigarettes aside, I am one of those people who go out of their way to buy organic foods and I would feel better knowing that the same options are available to me for anything I put in my body.

The problem is the part that sees e-cigs regulated as medicine. That certainly gives governments (and I am thinking this is more likely in Australia than the UK) the option of requiring scripts, but the ramifications are more likely to be in the kind of juices that are available. Bans on DIY nic liquid would be likely, in order to regulate the strength of what we are imbibing. And anyone who recalls the alcopops debate could rightly be concerned that flavoured juices could be banned on the false argument that they could be aimed at the kiddies.

I find it hypocritical that critics of e-cigs are saying on the one hand that there is not enough research into the safety of otherwise of e-cigs while, at the same time, seem hellbent on rushing through restrictions without waiting for the results of the very research they are supposedly championing.

Don't worry these things won't be legalized here ever! We're lucky nanny state Australia isn't seizing all nicotine imports like Canada does.