Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: A long read but positive.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

A long read but positive.

Moreover, of more than 2000 former
    smokers in this survey, 96% reported that the e-cigarette
    helped them to stop smoking, and 79% reported fearing that they would start smoking again if they stopped using
    it [10]. Consequently, removing e-cigarettes from the
    market or discouraging their use could harm public
    health by depriving smokers of a potentially important
    option for smoking cessation

http://www.legaliser.nu/sites/defaul...erspective.pdf
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Thought that was an excellent unbiased article.

Michael Siegel ..

http://sph.bu.edu/index.php?option=c...=340&INDEX=677

we should tweet this to slimey crapman and point out he uses references instead of rhetoric and propaganda techniques.
    Robray, essiemessy and Olfella like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Sadly I doubt Simone Crapman would even read what gets sent to him at this point. He probably looks at the piles of negative mail\comments\etc as proof he's doing the right thing.
    308hjute likes this.

Super Moderator
    "We contend that the initial evidence suggests that
    e-cigarettes offer more promise than peril, but more
    research needs to be conducted. The debate over
    e-cigarettes will no doubt continue. It is our hope that
    those participating in this debate report all sides of the
    issue, considering both the potential harm e-cigarettes
    could cause the user and the potential harm the tobacco
    control community could cause by dismissing the
    e-cigarette prematurely as a viable alternative for smoking
    cessation and second-hand smoke reduction. We also
    encourage e-cigarette investigators to draw conclusions
    within the appropriate context to prevent misleading
    conclusions. "

"Overall, we hope that
    continued discussion about the promise and perils of
    e-cigarettes is based on a balanced view of the available
    science, rather than an ideology that opposes harm reduc-
    tion without consideration of both sides of the issue,
    including potential public health benefits "

Good read Rob Thanks !!
    Last edited by Fatman; 20-06-13 at 02:56 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

It even works on people who don't want to quit smoking. That part gave me a LOL moment. Good post Robray.

ok, I'll bite .. why the LOL.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    ok, I'll bite .. why the LOL.
    Smokers who did not want to quit were offered the device and a reasonable percentage of them actually stopped smoking. The idea that they ended up where they didn't want to is ironically humorous. Other than that I can't actually explain why a thing is funny.

If 22% of men who said they didn't want to take up folk dancing ended up as Morris Dancers after drinking a particular brand of Cider, would that make the funny side clear for you?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbuggery View Post

If 22% of men who said they didn't want to take up folk dancing ended up as Morris Dancers after drinking a particular brand of Cider, would that make the funny side clear for you?
    No, but the cider would either be banned or classified as a pharmaceutical, taxed substantially and only allowed to be made by Hahn, you know, for "quality" reasons ...
    Robray likes this.

Retired Account
    That's what happened to us. We quit, even though we were keeping our expectations moderate and really only hoped that we would reduce our cigarette consumption.
    It was a completely pleasant surprise when on day 2 of vaping, I just *knew* (in the same sense that I know the sun is going to rise each morning) that I could actually
    toss the ciggies all together. I came up with a realistic regime of tapering off, but on the 6th day, I basically chain smoked my last cigarettes so that I could just get on with vaping!
    Nobody was more surprised than me about how that worked.
    Of course, there were cravings now and again, but understanding that the vapour containing nicotine takes a bit longer to hit the brain.. I guess I took it the same way as eating slowly makes you fuller faster, if that makes sense? When a craving hit, I would delay any action I was thinking of taking (like heading out to buy smokes) by 20 minutes, and by that point the craving would be gone.
    I guess the same thing would have happened if I just gave up smoking and didn't take up vaping. I know that cravings don't last forever, but there were so fewer of those craving moments, and I think I managed that better in the beginning by consciously vaping frequently and in a regular way to minimise the overall frequency.

I actually think it would be good for us to put our heads together and figure out a regimen or several regimens that might make the transition more successful for more people.
    We had an early success in helping a security guy at a local pub get started on vaping, but unfortunately, last week when we went to the pub, he wasn't making eye contact,
    and I thought "uh oh". Yeah, he'd gone back to the smokes. He had that look about him that he wasn't ready to give it another go, so I didn't push him.
    Now.. he's no different to me, except that he's already gone through 2 heart attacks and a quadruple bypass surgery. So, I'm thinking fear of dying is probably a lot more
    at the forefront of his thinking than it is in mine.

That started me thinking about what sort of support people need to be successful.
    For me, it's most definitely been about support and just being able to communicate with people who have done it, and having access to that when I need it. (MrGruffy and AVF primarily)
    I also needed a large variety of flavours and reliable gear. It would have been easy to say "bugger this!" if I had gear that I couldn't rely on or had only one or two flavours that were arse.
    I haven't given up on the guy in the pub. I did give him the link to the forum, but I don't think he's that into the internet.
    I hope that one day there'll be face to face groups in public libraries or community health centres who support each other to give up smoking through vaping. I can't see why not.
    It's just as important as weight loss clinics. When you sit down and think that smoking is something that kills half of all users. Shit! What else can you say that about which is legal?
    Not even most cancers kill half of all the people who get it now.
    Robray likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast