Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Simon Chapman calls people who have quit smoking PATHETIC

Simon Chapman calls people who have quit smoking PATHETIC

Yep, that's right. Let that come up in Google search engines. The world's Number One anti-smoker insults ex smokers!
    On the vapers' trail (The Feed) - YouTube

By comparison, I have never heard him say that smokers are pathetic.
    "But it's only those who are giving up smoking by taking up vaping" you might say

But as he claims, "Nicotine is a BIG problem" so it is not very far at all to call people who give up using official NRT pathetic too.

Apparently, in Simon Chapman's path to righteousness the only way you can be saved is to give up smoking cold turkey.
    Anyone who never smoked and snides and snarls against smokers and vapers is righteous in his book too.
    margyb, essiemessy and Juzm like this.

AVF Regular
    I am upset and offended that Simon Chapman calls me pathetic.
    I smoked for 40 years and gave up immediately I started vaping. Is it pathetic that my health has improved because vaping really works.
    I tried all the recommended legal NRT methods and they didnt work.
    I did not want to try champix after reading all the serious side effects which included suicide. And many doctors still prescribe champix which I believe is wrong
    Last edited by margyb; 22-06-13 at 02:23 PM.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    The thing that galls me is the fact that a major part of Chapmans funding regarding tobacco control is via Cancer Council which is a "Charity"

Anyway for anybody wanting to familiarize themselves with this gentleman, this is a link to his CV.

http://tobacco.health.usyd.edu.au/as...cations/CV.pdf
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Someone who relies on commenting on other peoples habits for a living is pathetic. Chapman needs to get a real job.
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    I thought this bit was funny, under the AWARDS & HONOURS section;

British Medical Association, special award from President John Harvard (cigarette lighter inscribed; "Thanks for helping to light the fire, 1985")
    A 50 Page CV, wow. Is the guy married, does he do normal family stuff, have friends, go out to the pub, have his mates around for a game of cards and a few quiet ones....I mean what does he do when he's not being an important person?

A 50 page CV goes in the bin, no one needs to read that much. Should have TLDR after his name as well.

Pity he hasn't done a course on presentation, with all the grant money a MS Word course wouldn't hurt with formatting.

So much grant money, he must be able to fit several dicks in his mouth at the same time, his only talent.

As someone who was unable to quit via cold turkey and who has the same concerns as he does regarding tobacco smoking and public health and thus found a compromise that allowed me to quit tobacco smoking while managing my nicotine addiction I felt very hurt by his comments.

I am also concerned that his employer is allowing him to use his post at the university to vilify people who technically (I say this with no intent to offend other members of this forum) have a substance use disorder and are statistically more likely (see info re mental health of smokers) also to have other psychiatric disabilities. I cannot imagine a university approving of a professor vilifying members other support groups for people with substance use issues.
    margyb, mitergreen and Juzm like this.

I don't have a substance use disorder. I might however have a personality disorder...lol
    tugboatofdeath and Jessamine like this.

His comments reg 'pathetic' are most likely a defense mechanism he uses to justify (to himself) taking away peoples liberty and choices. It makes it so much easy to deny people liberty if you think they are pathetic.
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

Raa
    Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    I did not want to try champix after reading all the serious side effects which included suicide.
    You can't argue though that it doesn't help you stop smoking... and eating... and other stuff.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast