Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Simon Chapman has misrepresented the science on the benefits of smoking reduction

Simon Chapman has misrepresented the science on the benefits of smoking reduction

"In a commentary published in the journal Tobacco Control, Dr. Simon Chapman argues that electronic cigarettes are a tobacco industry ploy to keep people smoking, that reducing smoking has no health benefits, and that real cigarettes should remain more readily available to the public than the fake ones".

"...One of the key arguments made in the commentary is that there is no health benefit to reducing the amount one smokes -- even if the reduction is substantial (e.g., greater than 50%). Chapman argues that: "importantly, cutting down cigarettes rather than quitting confers little if any health benefit, so dual use may be as bad as continued smoking in terms of health outcomes."

"...If a physician made the same claim to a patient that Dr. Chapman is making, it would - in my opinion - constitute medical malpractice. Why? Because the statement is blatantly false and runs contrary to both medical science and widespread clinical experience. It is blatantly untrue that a major reduction in cigarette consumption confers no health benefits to a patient. In contrast, there are immediate and important health benefits.

..."Dr. Chapman cites research which found no health benefits associated with smoking reduction. Well, there are two problems. First, the paper did not look at all of the important health outcomes. For example, it does not report on whether smoking reduction improved patients' respiratory symptoms. In other words, did it improve their lives? Second, the paper did not have sufficient power to detect the health benefits that might accrue with smoking reduction. So even though some of the relative risks are not statistically significant, they are substantially less than 1.0 and probably represent an important health benefit. With a larger sample size, the study would likely have found these benefits to be statistically significant."

"...Dr. Chapman has misrepresented the science on the benefits of smoking reduction. In doing so, he has negated any health value associated with switching from smoking to vaping for smokers who are not able to completely make the switch."

Read the whole article here.

AVF Regular
    I can see the benefits of not giving Simone Chimpman google hits. The man is an idiot

Lol this guy is definitely famous now though

AVF Regular
    Here's an interesting comment from Dr Kostantinos Farsalinos:

Now, from a scientific and a physician point of view, we know that no scientific organization recommends currently the use of the electronic cigarettes for the use of smoking cessation. However I think it is time, based on the amount of data we have seen from medical studies, it is our ethical obligation to inform the user and especially the smoker that has failed to stop smoking by the proved medical methods, we have to inform them about the presence of the electronic cigarettes, about the existence of the electronic cigarettes. We must tell them what we know, that we did not know until now, and leave for the smoker himself to decide if he will use it or not. I think it is unethical to prevent someone from using this, the electronic cigarette now, but of course it is still not ethical to suggest it as a smoking cessation means. But we should inform and provide, all the information available to the user and then the smoker can decide for himself.

Interview here: Interview with Mr. Farsalinos on the Electronic Cigarette
    ಠ_ಠ

Cause some fu*kers keep posting new shit about him 10 times a day not even changing the spelling.

Keep it up lads. One way not to bring attention to vaping thumbs up

I agree. I let it slide for now because it was being used so much in VoG's posts.

I personally don't have any desire now to attract that person to this forum, and have been avoiding using his name is previous posts.

e.g:Claims that Ecigarettes Fail as a Smoking Cessation Product get DEBUNKED

The publisher of the tweet is currently conducting a government funded study that collects information about people who quit smoking by abstaining from nicotine. He is most likely looking for further government funding for this study. The person who made the tweet has also been vocal about, and published papers that heavily advises policy that prohibits nicotine.
    Notice how I referred to him in that post. I think we should continue to do that from now on. If many people request me to change my current posts, let me know, and let VoG know. But we can probably take this discussion up over at the FeedBack subforum.

This post however really shows him for who he is though. But it's the last time I'll be doing it.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 22-06-13 at 08:13 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lheamfrg View Post
    I can see the benefits of not giving Simone Chimpman google hits. The man is an idiot
    I wish AVF had a 4chan-like word filter function and automatically altered text.

I vote for Simon Chimpman to be the word filter for this guys name.

Hear no science, see no science.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    4 Chan??? Who goes there (whistle and looking innocent)
    mavinry4 likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    4 Chan??? Who goes there (whistle and looking innocent)

Rules
    weren't broken. Just don't mention the 2nd letter of the alphabet.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I wish AVF had a 4chan-like word filter function and automatically altered text.

I vote for Simon Chimpman to be the word filter for this guys name.

Hear no science, see no science.
    I know PHBB used to have a word filter, VBulletin has something similar called a Profanity filter access it at AdminCP>VB Options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast