Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: ABC News wants to talk to users of electronic cigarettes

AVF Regular
    I would rather have some knowledgable vapers get involved with os counterparts who have been through this..the paranoia comes from the latest crap broadcast making us look like a bunch of "pathetic" smokers. I would hope that the community can do more than have a few locals gathered in a pub... What's next ... It's up to everyone to collectively show a united front with facts... Not pretty mods and beer... What's the best way to do it? Idk, but it ain't what has been done already... IMHO

AVF Regular
    I think we need to strive towards having the behaviour accepted and things like cigalikes and ego's accepted before we can try and push hardcore mod's onto the media and general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick77 View Post
    the paranoia comes from the latest crap broadcast making us look like a bunch of "pathetic" smokers.
    Seriously?

Is this really all you guys took away from it?

The important thing is - vaping was given some national media attention. People who did not previously know about vaping now do know about it.

Most stories will be looked at from different perspectives. I think this has been spun into an unnecessary drama.

But look back at the SBS thread. Even that thread made us look like an unfriendly, unwelcoming, paranoid and uncooperative bunch.

If I would research the topic and do my homework and lurk here I would not feel very welcome or motivated to report on this in a positive light.

It's out of our hands if they report on the topic or not. Lets make sure they at least get the community support to do it right. That way we at least do the one thing that could have a positive impact on the final result. It might not but at least we tried.
    If not they will do it anyway. With someone else.

Look at the threads discussing media coverage - take a step back - and ask yourself what you would tell the nation about the community based on that. Do you think these threads are and accurate reflection of who we are?
    tattoos likes this.

But those devices were tested back in 2009 and the media found nasty chemicals inside of those prefilled "Cartridges" I see them fighting back and reliving this experience.

Tell them nothing.

I'm not here to argue with you Alegria or anyone else but I have seen the same thing happen before to the detriment of our rights as Australians.

You are assuming they would have run a story with random footage.

Less talk, less G**gle hits, it's how this crap works and people are silly, as I said my Zmax is apparently Illegal according to a guy who sells 0 Nic kits from a local store. He has the net and is always on it in the store, thinks he knows everything but has no idea. So yes the SBS thing did do us harm.

The media know less than we do as they don't Vape, don't teach "them" and they have no armory or talk it up and it will be all over the place like a rash.

Lots of "If's" in those 2 posts Alegria.

Less dust = less attention.
    TimmyC, Mick77, Bullos and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Again I hope that the senior guys here take heed and organise something better.. I'm not gunna argue, your opinion is yours... Mine is mine... I still think its a community decision. Not mine or yours
    <---cop and second_chance like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alegria View Post
    Seriously?

One word YES.

I've had to tell people over and over that Nicotine is no the danger in Smoking.
    GirlyPantz, <---cop and Mick77 like this.

I don't appreciate an effort to protect the whole community being labelled as paranoia. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. The first interview we can put down to an experiment in getting a face on vaping in Australia and we now have a face. Unfortunately it is not an informed face and is an invitation for the "Nanny State" to step in and protect us from ourselves because we clearly have no clue about the addictive qualities of nicotine. I know that is not true but after the first go round, that is what comes across.

If we are ultimately headed for oblivion I would rather get there in the fullness of time than create a greasy pole that we can all slide down so we get there by next week. Let me make it perfectly clear, you can speak for yourselves but you do not speak for me in any sense whatsoever. Making an AVF spokesperson implies representation of the interest of all community members (and this is much bigger than AVF if truth be told). For heaven's sake, learn the lesson and do not take on the media without careful preparation and consideration of what the public will make of it all. The politicians learned long ago that "no comment" is far better than saying whatever happens to pop into your head at the time. What people do understand is a media "beat up" vs a bunch of people hanging themselves with their own words.
    Last edited by second_chance; 24-06-13 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alegria View Post
    Seriously?

Yes.

That was pathetic.

You don't get it. Trying to convert smokers into vapers is a noob concern when you are in the honeymoon phase.
    The rest of us are trying to protect our right and the communities right to import nicotine for personal use.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushman View Post
    First post for ages and only because I was directed here by this rather disturbing news.

I totally agree with 2nd and would have said (actually did, just not here) that if no-one went in the first place, then Chapman would not have had the chance to spin this in his favour.

It wasn't a Documentary, it was once again The Media doing what they do best and 10 mins of crap at that.

Take note of the last sentence 2nd has written.

Some people here have pushed your oldest most valued contributors away from here and in doing so, you have affected every single Australian and their rights in this regard.

Yes they want to follow suit, like the crap going on in the UK atm.

Most Average Joe's now believe that Nicotine is a Carcinogen and Vaping is some underground garbage....I've already been questioned,told Nicotine is the killer and told my Zmax is Illegal FFS...all in the last few weeks.

Well done.
    Hold on, just because some idiots said to you that nicotine is a killer and your mod is illegal, its pretty damn obvious that it wasn't that show or any of the recent articles that appeared in Fairfax publications. Not once has any of the articles or the tv mentioned that mods or any other PV device is illegal.

I have had the opposite experience to you mate and I have had all sorts of questions. Funnily enough, the vast majority people I have encountered (whether they have knowledge of ecigs or not) full well know that nicotine is not the killer in cigarettes.

Unfortunately, the media is a necessary evil in this fight. There is going to be some good coverage and there is going to be some negative. Shunning the media when it comes knocking is not a good idea. While there is a need for an organised voice when it comes to dealing with the media and lobbying etc, everyday users should be having their say as well.

Eventually over time, the positives of vaping will become clear, but keeping a low profile and not talking about it except through organised political channels is falling right into the trap of vaping remaining a minority eccentric subculture that it is being painted.

Whether you like it or not, Sim0n Chatban exists. You are not going to get him to go away by staying away from the media. If vapers didn't turn up, there would have been an extra 5 minutes for Chatban to spin his shit. The guy is an attack dog much the same way Abbott was in Howard's government. He doesn't care what you think, as long as his view gets out. Staying away from the media is not going to stop Chatban getting his word in unless there is a new wind farm to open up. The man experience, the right contacts and he doesn't **** around.

Meanwhile, we tend to sit hear and whinge about him a bit where we should be attacking his dual use theory to the shithouse. We all know nicotine is addictive, that isn't the point. Even Chapman admits ecigs are much better for your health than ciggies. If we are going to become mainstream, then we need to appeal to the mainstream.

The only thing that I didn't like in The Feed story was the table full of mods, liquids and a tool box. The reason I don't agree with it because I'm pretty damn sure the majority of vapers don't go down to the pub with their whole collection. Otherwise it just looked like a bunch of people having a beer and enjoying their vape.

No need to tell people to get all political and quote various studies unless they are having a formal interview representing an organisation. You can look good and not know the results of every scientific study known to man. Telling people to stay away is not constructive, but that's just my opinion.

Happy to discuss more.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast