Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Please Nominate Your AVF State Media Representatives

Please Nominate Your AVF State Media Representatives

It's been mentioned that if you are contacted by the media for comment you should refer them to one place. Up until now, I've always been referring media to SoundAsleep from ATACA. I think SAS should still be the main person to be referred to, however, given his life situation that he's mentioned several times, I think there should be a few more people that can step in. I also think that there needs to representatives from each state. If you feel like you know enough and can handle the media spot light, put you hand up, and ask to be nominated.

I'd also encourage all people who have been nominated by the AVF community to join ATACA, and be in close contact with SAS. All vapers should be familiar with who their state representative is and refer to them.

Lastly, I just want mention that I think there are some essential vaping issues that need to be pointed out to the media. Not specific points, but general aspects of the vaping world that the media is not aware of.

These are the kind of general ideas that I believe need to be promoted;

1. First, there needs to be more emphasis on the three electronic cigarette markets. Big Tobacco's entrance into the ecig market is what has caused this recent media ruckus, and we need to make sure their low end inferior quality products don't represent the vaping market. People need to be aware of the options, otherwise they'll try the cigalikes, and negative reports on vaping will ensue. Feel free to use this picture or modify it. But the central message needs to be conveyed to the public. The more the media understands and promotes the idea that there are 3 distinct markets, the safer vaping will be.

2. The second emphasis needs to be on challenging S1m0n Ch4pm4n's claims. He is only one academic, but his ideas could easily spread to those looking for a quick grant reward. Let's stop mentioning his name, and start listing the appropriate come backs to all the issues he has raised. He's probably going to be interviewed anyway, so always raise the issue of DENORMALISATION, GATEWAY, and DUAL-USE. They are the Big Three raised by Ch4pm4n (excluding nicotine dangers mentioned below). ALL THREE are examples of precautionary principles, and there is no scientific evidence to support them, in fact there is plenty of data that contradicts them. They are akin to blocking the fire-stairs, in case someone falls down them. If possible, promote the idea that dual-use will only be wide spread if the market is dominated by Big Tobacco inferior cigalike devices.

3. The third thing is to make sure that all dangers of electronic cigarettes must be shown for the exaggeration that they are.

The nicotine dangers argument - S1m0n Ch4pm4ans claims are false. All those papers he tries to push only speculate in their conclusions. And they are very speculative. They hold no water to raise the dangers of nicotine at the concentrations we use. And in any case, if nicotine was dangerous, they wouldn't sell them as NRTs.
    The Anti-Freeze argument - mention the statistics, the scare is total bullshit.
    The Lung Damage argument - mention that there's never been any peer reviewed publications on this. The people claiming lung damages LITERALLY worked for Pfizer, maker of Chantix, a competing product to ecigs.

4. And Lastly. Please let the media know that there are many Well informed academics that are in full support of electronic cigarettes.

Professor Etter (Geneva) , Dr. Farsalinos (Greece), Professor Gerry Stimson (London), Professor Brad Rodu, Professor Siegel (US), Dr Riccardo Polosa (Italy), Professor John Britton, (Royal College of Physicians UK). These are highly respected academics doing research on nicotine addiction and electronic cigarettes. Throw in a few names if interviewed. Don't let ill-informed SOCIOLOGISTS like Ch4pm4n be the only academics that get the 'expert's word'.

In summary, my suggestions are that we:

1. Nominate State/City representatives - Have them join ATACA headed by SAS.
    2. ALL Aussie Vapers should refer all media to your state reps, who will consult closely with SAS.

3. Central ideas that State Reps need to push
    i) The 3 Distinct markets - Don't let Big Tobacco get all the attention
    ii) The Precautionary Issues against vaping can easily be challenged
    iii) The exaggerated dangers of ecigs and nicotine can easily be challenged
    iv) There are many highly respected research academics who are supportive of electronic cigarettes.

I'll begin the nominations.

I nominate Jay Porter for NSW ATACA representative if he is willing to take the role.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 24-06-13 at 06:29 PM.

We should first of all establish if the AVF and Australian Vapers in general actually WANT or NEED a media representative and if the forum actually APPROVES of one.

Do the collective individuals approve of another person representing them in an official capacity?

This is not up to us members but first and foremost to the individuals operating this site.
    lheamfrg likes this.

I want to speak as a whole not one person. Even 'one' representative from each state won't matter. Unless of course, you've done tens of thousands of dollars of research and have proof.

Quote Originally Posted by alegria View Post
    We should first of all establish if the AVF and Australian Vapers in general actually WANT or NEED a media representative and if the forum actually APPROVES of one.

Do the collective individuals approve of another person representing them in an official capacity?
    I am for one in full favour of being represented officially by nominated and well-informed sources. I hope others are too. But we can have the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by alegria View Post
    This is not up to us members but first and foremost to the individuals operating this site.
    Obviously, I'm hoping Jato will agree to this. I hope either Fatman or Simon from EMS will put their hand up for Victoria. I hope Stoney, <--COP or Charlie from Vaping Cobra will put their hands up for QLD. I'm hoping CMB, Krit, or Hack will put their hand up for WA.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 24-06-13 at 06:44 PM.
    alegria likes this.

In any case, this is just a suggestion, and I'm hoping we can just get some organisation going in the community. It just seems like the media are pushing the cigalikes which is probably the worst thing that can happen to vaping.

I think anything like this should be up to Jato, as owner of the forum. It may be that another forum/sub-forum could be set up just for this purpose, and that forum may grow/morph into a larger unit in its own right. A political arm, so to speak. With a set message/mission statement to be read prior to entry. Dealing only with the politics. It would attract different vapers to it, which would be a good thing.

I've always said there needs to be some organisation amongst vapers to tackle this sort of thing. This may be the push to achieve that end goal. The message has to be set up though, through consensus, then stated boldly everywhere.

There is something not right with this as I imagine that if this was to be an ATACA thing it would have to go through some sort of membership vote of the Association itself and not on an information sharing forum.

I think we just need a pool of people with different areas of expertise that are able to put things across in an articulate and informed manner who can be called upon as matters arise.

Offiicial reps seem a bit restricting to me but I do like the work you have put in about how to look at possible questions etc.

I am not being negative really just Like you, trying to work out what the hell to do.

I think that Fatman would be a really good person to be interviewed as a first up, he knows his stuff and is very articulate.

Just thinking out loud.

RC

AVF Regular
    I don't think AVF should be a platform. It is here to help people get off tobacco cigarettes and provide information to enable them to stay off them whether through encouragement or turning the to the hobbyist side with mods and juices. Turning it into a political activist site will turn people away imo.

If there is going to be a spokesperson do it through a separate avenue as a NFP, and share information here on activities as opposed to generating activities here. Vape meets are one thing as a community event, organising media events for a political agenda is another and there should be a separation of the two.

Any one who has the time and willingness to commit can do it through the other avenue.
    Singo likes this.

AVF Regular
    No brainer to me. SAS is the man, whether previous posts are relevant to ATACA or not, he walks the walk and the proof is in the puddin, take ATACA for an example.
    SAS, pls chime in and lend us your thoughts.
    Last edited by supersports600; 25-06-13 at 02:02 AM. Reason: bags not be the articulating man
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

Firstly I'd like to answer a point somebody (Neo?) raised on another thread regarding privacy. ATACA currently has a MailChimp mailing list and the WP user information. The only person who has access to these lists is me. The vendors do not, and will not, have access to this list. The original idea behind the "vendor promotions" was that they would tell me what the monthly offer was, and I'd put it in the mail out. Nothing more.

OK, now that's out of the way. The truth is, to some degree (at least for now) ATACA = AVF

Pretty much everything I'd done for ATACA has been discussed and massaged on these forums. Attempts to have conversation/debate elsewhere (other forums, via email, etc) have pretty much all fallen flat on their face. What I'm trying to say is I have no problem with this being where we talk about things if everybody else is happy with that.

The ATACA mailing list currently has approx. 180 people on it. I haven't done a mail out for ages, so who knows how many of those might bounce back, but once we have an idea of what we want to do, there is that resource available.

As for myself. My biggest strength is in the written word. However my command of the English language stills leaves a bit to be desired (and I know I get too aggressive sometime) so I always needs a grammar nazi and proof reader before anything I write should really be used in any "official" capacity.

I MUCH prefer written responses than live conversation. Primarily as I have a nervous stutter. If I can keep it under control, then I'll debate God himself on the existence of Jesus, but if it starts to win... Well, Elma Fudd would have more success holding audience attention

EDIT: Yes, I would love to debate Mr Chapman. Proper debate too. No ad hominum allowed - pure science (no speculation)

EDIT 2: It needs to be a consumer voice out there, otherwise the "you have a financial stake" card will get played everytime. Having said that, the vendors have as much, if not more to lose than us "users". Are all the major vendors on AVF? Is there anybody big that specifically stays away? (I'm thinking VapeBar from recent activity?)
    Last edited by soundasleep; 25-06-13 at 02:29 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast