Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Italy to tax electronic cigarettes like tobacco cigarettes

Italy to tax electronic cigarettes like tobacco cigarettes

In may, an Italian member of the European Parliament raised concerns about lost tax revenue due to people switching from tobacco smoking to vaping.

Today it was reported that Italy will be increasing its tax on all vaping products to match that of tobacco cigarettes.

The price of electronic cigarettes in Italy is set to rise sharply after the Italian government decided to tax the devices at the same rate as normal cigarettes, La Stampa reported.

Under the new rate, users of 'e-cigarettes' will have to pay between 52 and 133 for their kits, up from between 33 and 84.

The move is expected to have a severe impact on a sector which has created an estimated 5,000 jobs in Italy in the past few years. There are more than 2,000 e-cigarette shops across the country. Smokers have also been able to save thousands of euros as they opt for a healthier alternative to the traditional tobacco-filled cigarette.
    This comes only days after an Italian clinical study showed that electronic cigarettes are just as effective as nicotine replacement therapies such as nicotine patches.

The justification given for tobacco taxes is that it deters people from smoking, and to compensate for the public costs of smoking related illnesses. Electronic cigarettes don't causes smoking related illnesses. So where is the justification for taxing electronic cigarettes?

There is none. This only demonstrates the corruption associated with tobacco control. It's never been about health. It's always been about the money. The Italian Government is shitting itself because clinical studies are proving that electronic cigarettes are far more effective than anything else in helping people abstain from smoking tobacco.
    margyb, Pleski, eteach and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    In may, an Italian member of the European Parliament raised concerns about lost tax revenue due to people switching from tobacco smoking to vaping.

Today it was reported that Italy will be increasing its tax on all vaping products to match that of tobacco cigarettes.

[B]
    This comes only days after an Italian clinical study showed that electronic cigarettes are just as effective as nicotine replacement therapies such as nicotine patches.

The justification given for tobacco taxes is that it deters people from smoking, and to compensate for the public costs of smoking related illnesses. Electronic cigarettes don't causes smoking related illnesses. So where is the justification for taxing electronic cigarettes?

There is none. This only demonstrates the corruption associated with tobacco control. It's never been about health. It's always been about the money. The Italian Government is shitting itself because clinical studies are proving that electronic cigarettes are far more effective than anything else in helping people abstain from smoking tobacco.
    Mav,

Can I steal your wording to use to leave a comment?
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

Quote Originally Posted by 308hjute View Post
    Mav,

Can I steal your wording to use to leave a comment?
    All my posts here are copyleft. I claim no ownership so steal away .

AVF Regular
    Cheers and done.
    mavinry4 likes this.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    And wasn't it Italy who stood up and actually said out loud that the tax dollars at risk from smoking cessation via vaping was their biggest issue with them during the EU debate?
    I may be wrong, of course, but I recall something like that.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Yes it was Essie. That's the link in my comment.
    essiemessy likes this.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    Ack!
    What's the code here for 'blushing'? lol
    margyb likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I didn't think anyone paid tax in Italy anyway?

well this is going to lead to some interesting argument.
    do the italian vapers have the numbers to stage a frigging riot.
    some tax .. understandable I guess .. but that amount is fairly ridiculous, it also means that vendors will be selling far less devices, which will likely raise prices.
    This sounds to me like they are giving up on the 'possibly bad for you' argument as a means to shut them down and now are simply going to price them out of the market instead.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Isn't this just going to result in most of the italian vendors shutting down and people finding ways of buying outside the country?
    eteach likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast