Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Dangers in perspective

Dangers in perspective

I have the US morning show on in the background, they quoted 4000 reported cases of poisonings this year alone with laundy pods.

Health Hazards Associated with Laundry Detergent Pods — United States, May–June 2012

just a good product to keep in mind when we need to discuss eliquid dangers, it will be a loooooong time before we could ever reach these sort of numbers.

it will be interesting to see if they either ban them, regulate them to look less delcious, attach warnings, make the childproof .. who knows.

the other interesting aspect, these are basically 'cartridges' of laundry powder/liquid .. i think it could be argued that sticking liquid in a cartridge does not necessarily make it safer.
    GirlyPantz, Fatman and vreidisgod like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Another common item with a bad track record are button batteries:

Child dies after swallowing lithium battery at Noosa - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I realised they could be a choking hazard, but not that they can burn a hole in a child's throat.

several children present to emergency departments with symptoms each week
    .. and that's just in Queensland.

The problem is though Stoney, that due to the nature of what we are vaping, and all the outright lies that keep cropping up, it would only take one exposure to a kid and the shit would hit the fan.

But they can munch their way through zillions of laundry pods before they think about banning the bloody things.

AVF Regular
    This just in, France to ban the smoking of laundry pods in public. More after the late movie.
    ಠ_ಠ

AVF Regular
    Maaan, I love those things. I can't help myself. There's always an open pack, and I just love to squish 'em.
    Every time I pass through the laundry aisle, I just want to pick those things up and see how hard it would be to break them against a wall LOL

Juice bottles are nowhere near as endearing to me.

Nice work, Stoney.
    GirlyPantz, Stomp and Domo like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Here's a excerpt from one of my favourite books Freakonomics. It just goes to show how public perception and the media are sometimes (willingly?) ignorant of cold hard data.

Consider the parents of an eight-year-old girl named, say, Molly. Her two best friends, Amy and Imani, each live nearby. Mollyís parents know that Amyís parents keep a gun in their house, so they have forbidden Molly to play there. Instead, Molly spends a lot of time at Imaniís house, which has a swimming pool in the backyard. Mollyís parents feel good about having made such a smart choice to protect their daughter.

But according to the data, their choice isnít smart at all. In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. (In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year.) Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns. (In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns.) The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in 1 million-plus) isnít even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming accident at Imaniís house than in gunplay at Amyís.
    ಠ_ಠ

Looks like I'll have to dust off the rock down at the river.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalmas View Post
    Looks like I'll have to dust off the rock down at the river.
    If the rock at the river is for washing, AND it's dusty, I think I can spot a problem with your method.

Random Safety Note: Warning for refrigerator-falling-on-you and coconut related deaths.

AVF Regular
    i'm so glad there are no coconut bushes around here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast