Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Very sad Child dies after swallowing button battery

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hobart Tasmania
    Posts
    5,658

    Very sad Child dies after swallowing button battery

    Just heard this on the radio very sad

    Kidsafe Queensland says an estimated four children a week are rushed to emergency departments across Australia after swallowing the batteries.

    Child Swallows Battery And Dies

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    3,477
    Yea saw it on tv last night, didn't realize all those metal batteries were lithium, I've had them lying on the floor with no kids but pets around...
    margyb likes this.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hobart Tasmania
    Posts
    5,658
    Yes glad they werent around 36 years ago when my kids were small. I must remember to put mine away when small kids visit . I have heaps in a draw that I got from a $2 shop. And they actually work

    It is not only ecig batteries that are dangerous

  4. #4
    jen
    jen is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    706
    margyb and second_chance like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,463
    Poor people.

    I find it funny, in a horribly ironic way, that every time something like this happens, there is a "what parents can do to keep their kid safe" list printed up. Never have I seen a suggestion for parents to educate/teach/guide/bullshit their kids on not putting these (and other) things in their mouth.

    My kids were never the type of kids to put anything in their mouth, like some kids who are always shoving something in. But even so, I remember my daughter when she was around 3-4. Old enough to be spoken to. I saw her put a coin in her mouth. She got a reaction, but not the reaction she was expecting lol.

    I told her that if she was going to have to put coins in her mouth, that she had to absolutely make sure they were in there for less than one hand turn on the clock (one minute), cos that's how long it takes for them to poison you. I sprayed some silver coins with hairspray without her knowing, and told her I would prove it to her. I then told her to keep it in her mouth for a minute, but it didn't take that long for her to equate bad taste of hairspray with poison that makes your insides go black. She never put another one in her mouth to my knowledge.

    It's no use saying no to them, cos that's like a green light to them, and it's no use thinking you will remove all dangers out of their way. They are kids, by definition they are danger magnets, and they are drawn to it.
    Big Ev, fifthflo and phxrxonic like this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    3,477
    Yup I ate anything - used to help myself at the supermarket, one time I ate one of those colorful things you put inside your toilet to make the water coloured and fresh, off to a&e some charcoal and a vigorous ride on a rocking horse saw it purged!

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Posts
    6,590
    vigorous ride on a rocking horse saw it purged!

    You have boggled my mind??? I am not going to ask for an explanation. I don't want to know!
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    3,477
    I'm just telling it as I was told, I was only two!!!
    Robray and margyb like this.

  9. #9
    HSV
    HSV is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    Poor people.

    I find it funny, in a horribly ironic way, that every time something like this happens, there is a "what parents can do to keep their kid safe" list printed up. Never have I seen a suggestion for parents to educate/teach/guide/bullshit their kids on not putting these (and other) things in their mouth.

    My kids were never the type of kids to put anything in their mouth, like some kids who are always shoving something in. But even so, I remember my daughter when she was around 3-4. Old enough to be spoken to. I saw her put a coin in her mouth. She got a reaction, but not the reaction she was expecting lol.

    I told her that if she was going to have to put coins in her mouth, that she had to absolutely make sure they were in there for less than one hand turn on the clock (one minute), cos that's how long it takes for them to poison you. I sprayed some silver coins with hairspray without her knowing, and told her I would prove it to her. I then told her to keep it in her mouth for a minute, but it didn't take that long for her to equate bad taste of hairspray with poison that makes your insides go black. She never put another one in her mouth to my knowledge.

    It's no use saying no to them, cos that's like a green light to them, and it's no use thinking you will remove all dangers out of their way. They are kids, by definition they are danger magnets, and they are drawn to it.
    Could you tell me how to educate my teething 10 month old how to not put things in her mouth. You must have been very lucky that your children didn't put anything in their mouths at this age.

    We have had a few buy her books with these batteries in them. I threw them out after the battery cover broke on one and we found the little batteries on the ground. I feel sorry for the parents.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Posts
    6,590
    While on the subject of kids and eating things, a while back I had a read about children eating rare earth magnets. Not good if they eat more than one.

    Swallowing Magnets Can Be Fatal for Children: MedlinePlus
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 07:27 AM.