Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By margyb
  • 4 Post By icarus
  • 4 Post By mavinry4

Thread: Australian Government steals $4 billion a year from Smokers

Australian Government steals $4 billion a year from Smokers

Restraint can be Mr Rudd's problem too, particularly when it comes to big numbers. Smoking, he told us earnestly on Wednesday, costs the community $31.5bn a year. It is a figure precise enough to sound as if Mr Rudd knew what he was talking about but silly enough to make the curious think twice. It is a figure derived from a six-year-old report based on fruit cocktail economics: the bundling of apples and oranges with a few bananas thrown in.

The actual burden on the health budget is less than $2bn, a bill comfortably covered by the $6bn the government collects in revenue from tobacco. The remaining $28.5bn consists of theoretical costs such as pain and suffering, $19bn of which are labelled "intangible" - in other words, hard to pin down.

The truth is that the government would be out of pocket if everyone stopped smoking today since smokers are net donors to the Treasury. A sad fact, rarely acknowledged, is that the lower life expectancy of smokers reduces their lifetime demand on health services.

Read full article here

And this is why electronic cigarettes are a disruptive technology, to the tobacco industry, to the pharmeceutical industry, and especially to the Australian Revenue coffers.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 02-08-13 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added in last paragraph

AVF Regular
    Funny I was talking to my cardiologist (heart doctor) a couple of years ago and I told him I knew I had to give up smoking. He said to me if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow the government would not have enough money to pay pensioners their pensions. He didnt tell me to give up smoking he said " good luck with giving up the fags."
    I will never forget that
    mavinry4 and DEATHGUYJ like this.

I always saw my cig taxes as pre-paid palliative care and I was expecting the best care when my time came given how much I was contributing. While I'm no longer a smoker, it still burns me up when folks make a blanket accusation of smokers of being a financial burden on the community.

The constant use of force by the Labour Party is what disturbs me most.

"why can't politicians be leaders!" - Andrew Wilkie MP

Flea, margyb, tally-ho and 1 others like this.