Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: E-cigs ad blitz goes unregulated

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder

E-cigs ad blitz goes unregulated

im seeing more and more of this stuff in local aussie news sites
    E-cigs ad blitz goes unregulated | News.com.au

my workplace has been a vape friendly one since jan 2008
    as this starts to become more media saturated i can hazard a geuss that a quick fix
    by aussie politics would be to lump them in with current smoking laws and go from there

just awsome
    money fucks everything
    lozza 82, ultravape and DEATHGUYJ like this.
    QUOTE=Fatman; I have licked many things ... some I am proud of , some I am not :(

AVF Regular
    I wish they'd stop with the damn cigalikes already.
    But unfortunately, the cigalike market is controlled by the big corps, so that's what gets the exposure.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

So far, there's not much scientific evidence showing e-cigarettes help smokers quit or smoke less, and it's unclear how safe they are.

Don't these so called journalists have access to google ?
    Notice that they choose not to allow comments ....... they would get blitzed with facts and logic.

<my 2 cents>

Like it or not the "e-cig lookalike" will be the staple form of "stepping stone" for corps to introduce new users to their marketshare. I can remember when i first started vaping the "e-cig lookalike" was what I was after.

I had lurked on AVF and saw pics of mods, with complex discussions on WATTS, Variable Voltage, RBT's ect and thought that I would never want to be walking around with a "Bong like" (<<< my view only) apparatus. After a few weeks of mediocre results with the lookalike I delved in and bought a Silver Bullet (thanks --->Cop), it broke the ice and now I happily vape away on my Ego V2 Mega 1200mah vv device.

All in all, the corps will target the migration of exisiting smokers over that of a new user. The sales pitch for such benefits of health, smell, taste, cost effectiveness are a much greater and easier allure for a current regular tobacco consumer. The tranisitonal phase of an existing user to vaping is eased by the silimarities in looks to a normal tobacco cigarette <this is very important to the corps>. Its my theory that over time when the market share has peaked somewhat with this demographic that you will see a larger proportion of Ego or other similar mods taking a higher proportion of the corporate market.

All in all any publicity is ok as long as its not negative, and when the global market eases its concerns with Vaping in parallel to the regular tobacco I think that things will definately change for the better.
    margyb, fifthflo and DEATHGUYJ like this.
    "It's a Grower....Not a 'Shower'!!!" - Bender B. Rodriguez

The tranisitonal phase of an existing user to vaping is eased by the similarities in looks to a normal tobacco cigarette <this is very important to the corps>. Its my theory that over time when the market share has peaked somewhat with this demographic that you will see a larger proportion of Ego or other similar mods taking a higher proportion of the corporate market.
    I do not understand what you mean by saying <this is very important to the corps>. Personally I don't think the corps could care less what they are selling in terms of its looks. The cigalike market is driven by consumer demand not by what corps want. Corps become corps by finding what the consumer wants and then selling it to them rather than taking a mother know best attitude.

Smokers have a habit not a hobby. They want the same ease of use, the same convenience, the same thought free ease of use as a cigarette. This is not what 'corps want' this is what the consumer wants.

Personally, my theory is that with the technological development in ecigs in five years time the cigalikes will deliver the same level of performance as do ego batteries today. When this happens dual use of cigarettes will disappear as the cigalike devices will be good enough to stop the cravings just as the ego batteries of today.

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    I do not understand what you mean by saying <this is very important to the corps>. Personally I don't think the corps could care less what they are selling in terms of its looks. The cigalike market is driven by consumer demand not by what corps want. Corps become corps by finding what the consumer wants and then selling it to them rather than taking a mother know best attitude.

Smokers have a habit not a hobby. They want the same ease of use, the same convenience, the same thought free ease of use as a cigarette. This is not what 'corps want' this is what the consumer wants.
    I agree wholely with what you state, your summary perhaps a little more accurate than mine. The corps want $$$ and as quoted above here this is how they will best achieve it, and make that $$$. Thats why I concluded by throwing in "my 2 cents" that e cig look alikes are the dominant face of vaping.
    "It's a Grower....Not a 'Shower'!!!" - Bender B. Rodriguez

AVF Regular
    the sort of advertising being talked about will most likely always be from very large corps due to the cost of it. i'd love to see an ad campaign with egos and vamos and provaris, etc, next to a cigalike saying something like "that's not an e-cig ... this is an e-cig!" (maybe starring paul Hogan ... lol), but for now, I really don't think any sellers of those have enough money to do it. the cigalikes are generally backed by companies that already make huge profits from other products and have the sort of money needed to start a saturation type ad campaign.
    Rylee74 and DEATHGUYJ like this.

Personally, I think they have a point.

This sentence "But the marketing tactics are raising worries that the devices' makers could tempt young people to take up something that could prove addictive" could very well happen.

Kids nowadays know cigs are shit. But all of a sudden these "safer" options come along, and if they are made to look cool, using celebrities to flog them, then it may very well entice kids to take them up - because after all, it isn't smoking, but looks like it. It's not so bad.

And if kids were to start picking up cigalikes, then you can bet the government will act quick smart to bring in legislation severely limiting access to all vaping devices.

So while I normally say meh, it's just typical propaganda, I can see a very real point in limiting the slick advertising.
    Samtron likes this.

AVF Regular
    yep, they need to be targeted only at smokers who want to switch, not the world at large, imho. but bt and bp will blanket the media with them for as long as they can. it's not in their best interest to have a shrinking market.
    Samtron likes this.

Can't market them as none smoking aids so they have to market them as a great cool new product to switch too instead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast