Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree493Likes

Thread: Want to smoke? Get a licence!

Retired Account

Want to smoke? Get a licence!

Experts want smokers to get licence to light up | News.com.au

I hope they bring in a licence to breed as well.
    Perhaps a licence to engage on the internet too!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Experts want smokers to get licence to light up | News.com.au

I hope they bring in a licence to breed as well.
    Perhaps a licence to engage on the internet too!
    Seems like a good idea to me, there's nothing smart or clever about smoking.

I pick up the kids from school and see 15 year olds lighting up and smoking. Yes, a license would be a very good idea.

I'm not a proud smoker, nor am I a proud vaper, I am just choosing the less of two evils.

Cheers,
    Caff.
    Samtron and Vapez like this.

Super Moderator
    Who will police it? Kids will still obtain smokes through someone 'licenced' to purchase them..

If they are free no worries, another tax avenue? Likely.
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by juddyau View Post
    Who will police it? Kids will still obtain smokes through someone 'licenced' to purchase them..

If they are free no worries, another tax avenue? Likely.
    They may still obtain them from someone else buying them, but at the moment a 15 year old can go into any shop (baring a tobaconist, woolworths or coles) and buy cigarettes as the shop keepers don't care and just want to make money.

Introducing a license suddenly makes it a lot more official and while, yes, kids may still obtain smokes, how many kids do you see driving cars?

Cheers,
    Caff.
    Vapez likes this.

AVF Regular
    this is a contentious issue. would possibly limit ciggy availability, create a black market, maybe even reduce smoking rates.

would be a nightmare to enforce.

considering the number of children that get abused in our and other cultures a licence to breed, some would say, wouldn't be a bad thing.

anything that reduces smoking ciggy's is a good thing. i think i'd petition a licence to vape over a licence to smoke if that was the choice.

i'm of two minds about this. i've heard nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man (per capita more addictive than heroin and cocaine) i heard this on some article on abc a few years back.

i think the delivery system, if efficient and effective makes a difference. hence the vaping.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
    They may still obtain them from someone else buying them, but at the moment a 15 year old can go into any shop (baring a tobaconist, woolworths or coles) and buy cigarettes as the shop keepers don't care and just want to make money.

Introducing a license suddenly makes it a lot more official and while, yes, kids may still obtain smokes, how many kids do you see driving cars?

Cheers,
    Caff.
    Yes they can, but I don't know about them not caring, most places still ask for ID.
    Bit different, driving a vehicle involves a degree of skill (purportedly) whereas smoking a cigarette does not.
    As long as it doesn't cost any money to have the licence I can't see the harm.

Retired Account
    Only 31% of kids get their cigarettes from retail outlets. That's surprising. 69% of kids are being given or stealing cigarettes from someone else.
    Where do they get these statistics from and how accurate are they?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Only 31% of kids get their cigarettes from retail outlets. That's surprising. 69% of kids are being given or stealing cigarettes from someone else.
    Where do they get these statistics from and how accurate are they?
    I think the words "only 31%" are misleading. 31% is a huuuuuge percentage, it's basically 1/3. While I used to steal most of my cigarettes off my mum when I was 13, by 14 I could buy them from the shop. Had I not been able to do this, or the shop keeper actually enforced the smoking age, then I wouldn't be here today dosing myself on nicotine in the safest form I can find.

If that 31% are sharing their cigarettes with their peers (which we did as kids, so I'm sure they are too), then that 31% may be feeding another 10% of underage smokers. Also, normally a group of 4 will send one in to buy the ciggies, so although that one is 31%, he is providing for the other three waiting outside.

Lets not complain when they try to make it hard to smoke. We all know it's a truly terrible habit.

Cheers,
    Caff.
    Vapez likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
    ... the shop keepers don't care and just want to make money....
    Please don't lump me or anyone else you don't know into that category.
    I retail cigarettes, and bend over backwards and suffer anxiety over making sure we don't sell to minors. And have copped all sorts of abuse, threats and damage for it. We care very much, thank you.

Besides do you know the fines payable for that offence?? It simply isn't worth it.

As for the topic in hand, it's just another binding of red tape, and won't be as effective as hoped for reasons already posted. IMHO.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. A license? Talk about nanny state and going too far. While recognising the dangers of tobacco smoking et al, where does this stop?

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast