Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Working Group....is something just not quiet right?

AVF Regular

The Working Group....is something just not quiet right?

OK I have been giving this whole issue a lot of thought and probably too much thought.

I am not in anyway saying that BigKev's intentions are not pure, however as someone who has had their identity stolen, and by a family member no less, I am a little less open about giving people access to my personal details and am prone to now question their motives.

Yes we need to get organised if we want a hope in hell of being heard but that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable when a stranger on the internet, and to this forum, requests personal details in order to get started on a working group, which is really no more than a think tank with a view on how to set up a charter group. Somehow I don't see the need for personal details until the charter is formed because until then it is just individuals shooting the breeze over a hypothetical group they would like to see come into existence in the future.

The second thing that bothers me with this is the plan to have it all done by email alone, lets face it we all use this forum so its not too much of a stretch for us to use Skype or google hangouts or even our underutilised IRC chat room. It is probably just me being paranoid but it struck me as highly suspicious that this was to go ahead without any face time or actual discussions where we could bounce ideas off of one another.

Is it just me being paranoid or is something just not quiet right?
    margyb, KamaKaZzie and Samtron like this.

AVF Regular
    I supposed because I wasn't involved in the arrangements, I didn't give it the same level of thought.

I am very similar to you. I don't hand out my details to anyone that I don't know personally in real life (with a few very rare exceptions).
    It's easy to become complacent when you deal in a friendly manner with folks behind a keyboard. If you are uncomfortable with it then step away and find a better medium of communication.

AVF Regular
    I am lost and do not know what this is about, can someone offer some context?

Edit:
    Never mind, dug around and found the relevant threads.
    Association Working Group
    E-Cigs in Oz Doomed
    Last edited by Rynxa; 07-08-13 at 05:02 PM.
    GirlyPantz and Bodiseifer like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    I am lost and do not know what this is about, can someone offer some context?

Edit:
    Never mind, dug around and found the relevant threads.
    Association Working Group
    E-Cigs in Oz Doomed
    i was kinda lost to, cheers for digging those up
    GirlyPantz likes this.

I am always very cautious about giving out too much personal/ Identifying information on the net.
    At times I have also been unsure about giving my e-mail to vendors as I hate getting spammed after making a purchase.

AVF Regular
    I feel the same way. I'm reminded of the saying "just because you're paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

my partner felt the same way....maybe she IS the brains of the operation.

I won't be participating if this level of scrutiny is needed. And i mean that in the MOST respectful way.

i appreciate Big Kev and his ideas and can see how they may even be appropriate. I don't have anything to hide but i feel it's a little intense for me to comfortably contribute. I will have to take a back seat and support in any other way i can.

one thing i love about this forum is the freedom to speak openly and honestly without the need for getting too personal.

Thanks heaps for your opinion girly pantz.......i don't think your pantz are girly at all. You've made me feel like less of a jerk and proven my woman RIGHT...once again...will i EVER hear the end of it...

And if you read this Big Kev....I hope i have in no way offended you, or curtailed your efforts, because i respect and appreciate you and will help in any other way i can.
    Last edited by Samtron; 07-08-13 at 05:42 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Regular
    ok. think of it this way. don't want to do it via email. fine. but google hangout? constant stream of info back and forth between your pc and google...for the aluminium hatters out there. that's an issue. skype could work, but that needs everyone to have a decent net connection. and a chatroom is about the worst place to get anything productive done. email works. it keeps its own records, everyone can use it regardless of connection speed, or how many words per minute they're capable of. and if you don't want to give you details out online, despite it being a family member (who presumable didn't need to get your details off the net) that last stole your identity. not the countless stores or anyone from paypal or anyone you've bought anything off online...ever.

you want to be part of a group that asks politicians and anyone else you speak to as a group have at least some level of trust. yet you can't trust eachother with your email addresses?

but. if you're not able to trust people. you're not the kind of person that should ask for that trust in return. probably best you're not involved with anyone that wants to be the public face of vaping.

I think there is a level of paranoia here. There are far easier ways to get peoples contact details-like the phone book for one.

FWIW, I checked out Kev. Sorry Kev, but just to make sure you were who you said you are. As an ex cop, I am sure you understand.

His name and both phone numbers check out. His affiliation with menshed (email address reflects this) also checks out - great work on the computer classes btw Kev. There was also some other stuff I found, but I reckon I have shared enough here. I just hope I haven't offended Kev. My apologies in advance if I have, but this is all public knowledge anyway.

The only thing I didn't do was ring him, but since the phone number he gives is the one listed in the white pages, then I am happy that he is who he says he is, and his intentions are pure. And I am not surprised at his level of organisation, given his past employment history. He seems to not do things by halves.

Instead of naysaying, why not simply ask him? I am sure he will answer any questions you have. I for one am glad someone with his level of competece has come along to do something that many have spoken about but so far not much has been done about it.

Let's see, the details he has of mine now are my email address, my real name, and the suburb I live in. Hard core stuff there..I'd like to see the scammer that will do something with all that ID of mine.

As for the email contact only, I was going to suggest to Kevin that we use either Google or the chatroom here for realtime meetings. But I already suggested that we should have every ones online nics as well as real names, simply to make life easier. I didn't want to be the big mouth with all the big ideas, so I didn't bother yet, but I was going to suggest this in my next correspondence with him. I would think this is something that Kev hasn't had much experience with, which is why he did not suggest it. He did say it would be a bit of a hassle trying to do this by email. So I doubt there is any ulterior motive for email contact only. If there is, I can't think what it could be. I just think he does things person to person, old school if you like. because lets face it, he is doing exactly what anyone would have done trying to get something like this off the ground, say 20 yrs ago after a get together at a pub.

I get the concern, but if you think logically about it, there are much easier ways to fleece people. And if Kev wasn't on the level, I think he would have already scammed us by now, with a lot less effort.

Just my two cents worth.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    appreciate it KBM and it's a fair call. The last thing i wanna do is offend the bloke. I appreciate him standing up where others haven't. Further his experience is gonna be vital.

but the level of personal info made me feel uncomfortable. I felt that for a working group and not the association less detail would/could work just as well.

if that makes me someone that shouldn't be involved...so be it.

can't do anything but be honest.
    Last edited by Samtron; 07-08-13 at 06:42 PM.
    GirlyPantz and keyboardmama like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    ok. think of it this way. don't want to do it via email. fine. but google hangout? constant stream of info back and forth between your pc and google...for the aluminium hatters out there. that's an issue. skype could work, but that needs everyone to have a decent net connection. and a chatroom is about the worst place to get anything productive done. email works. it keeps its own records, everyone can use it regardless of connection speed, or how many words per minute they're capable of. and if you don't want to give you details out online, despite it being a family member (who presumable didn't need to get your details off the net) that last stole your identity. not the countless stores or anyone from paypal or anyone you've bought anything off online...ever.

you want to be part of a group that asks politicians and anyone else you speak to as a group have at least some level of trust. yet you can't trust eachother with your email addresses?

but. if you're not able to trust people. you're not the kind of person that should ask for that trust in return. probably best you're not involved with anyone that wants to be the public face of vaping.
    I see what you are saying and i have no problem giving out email addresses, its easy enough to get an email account, but it doesn't stop there you need to give your real name and details too. The thing is that this is not "the group" but a discussion on how to form "The charter group"

Ok say for instance you want to start a local group lets pick on The Lions Club, so you have a chat with a few friends and maybe even advertise in the local paper that you want to have a get together at the local RSL to discuss it. More meetings are then arranged and you contact the Lion's Group to find out their rules and requirements. Then even more meetings are held while you discuss sponsorship etc and formulate a plan to obtain your charter. Once you have the numbers required and have met the requirements to make your Charter Group THEN the names and details of the Charter members must go on all documents.

Its a bit different to asking people to give their full details in order to attend the advertised meeting of the interest/working group at the local RSL to see if they can get the ball rolling.

Edit:
    BTW Just because you are using Skype doesn't mean you have to have the camera's on all the time. I have Been involved with many negotiations via Skype using text only and you can set Skype to log all conversations so if any involved party wishes to review the minutes of the meeting they each have it on file.
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 07-08-13 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast