Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More Emphasis on Who 'we' are

More Emphasis on Who 'we' are

So I've been thinking about the little run-in we had at clubvape the other day with our new elite AVF member. Put the name calling and accusations of club exclusivity aside, he/she did make an important point about how SBS were able to cut and edit AVF member's words to discredit the notion that nicotine vapour is not as addictive as nicotine smoke. They cut and weaved in Simeon Chimpman's words to help with this discrediting.

I thought that every thing that was said in the SBS clip by AVF members was accurate. You guys did an awesome job. It was just unfortunate that it was edited in such a way when it came to the topic of nicotine dependency.

If I were to show you my vaping box, you'd see more than 50 flavour concentrates and about 12 ecig devices of various sizes, shapes and qualities. Someone could easily misinterpret my vape box as a sign of an out of controlled addiction. But it's not. I use one device probably more than 90% of the time, and I vape only one flavour at a time.

When confronted by media, I think we need to put more emphasis on the fact that many of us here at AVF are hobbyists. Many of us have several devices because we have an interest in innovative things just like any other electronic gadgetry enthusiasts do. We love the idea of flavourings and mixing the same way that many Amateur chefs have interests in cooking up delicious recipes. Some AVF members even get really good at this hobby and take it to the professional level.

Vaping to many of us here, however, is a hobby. That's the reason many of us come to this forum every day checking to see what are the latest innovative designs in batteries, attys and ejuice. Many of us are e-cigarette gadget enthusiasts, and e-juice flavour connoisseurs.

But we all have a common base with tobacco smokers in that we find inhaling nicotine useful to our lives, and we enjoy it, but like many people trying to quit tobacco smoking, we don't want the source of that nicotine to kill us. We tried to quit smoking using various means, and e-cigarettes have been the most successful tool in helping us abstain from tobacco smoke completely.

Our extensive personal inventories of vape products does not reflect an uncontrolled requirement or abuse of nicotine. It merely reflects our strong interests in technology, design and a variety in flavouring aromas.

I think this aspect of who AVF members are should be emphasised in future media interviews.
    Flea, Noe, GirlyPantz and 19 others like this.

Well said and totally agree!
    arjay55 and mavinry4 like this.

You make a good point! I suppose it is tough though when you're expected to answers questions with a camera in front of you, I think overall he did a good job
    mavinry4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    But why would tv want to encourage dependency? Genuine question Mav not farming you or anyone else up. As a poly drug user/ex abuser I can say I'd like to be completely dependency/addiction free, alas I've accepted I've achieved a lot and will continue to use nic, caffeine, etc - annoying habits to feed as I get a very angsty if I don't dose regularly. I'm confused. How do you differentiate between nicotine addiction and nicotine dependency? It's clearly a drug I'm not well versed on.

OT, I'd go nowhere near the media re vaping. Too risky.
    mavinry4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthflo View Post
    But why would tv want to encourage dependency? Genuine question Mav not farming you or anyone else up. As a poly drug user/ex abuser I can say I'd like to be completely dependency/addiction free, alas I've accepted I've achieved a lot and will continue to use nic, caffeine, etc - annoying habits to feed as I get a very angsty if I don't dose regularly. I'm confused. How do you differentiate between nicotine addiction and nicotine dependency? It's clearly a drug I'm not well versed on.

OT, I'd go nowhere near the media re vaping. Too risky.
    Perfectly valid question to ask.

It's not really about promoting dependency. It should always be about promoting the cessation of inhaling tobacco smoke. It is the Government that should be promoting it. The Media is supposed to give both sides of the story. I don't expect the Government to promote dependency, but I do expect them to not stand in the way a real solution to the tobacco smoking epidemic. By outlawing the sale of nicotine liquids, and only encouraging the use of Pharmaceutical NRTs and cold turkey cessation methods means the Government isn't paying attention to what is currently available and working for so many.

An addiction is when you can't stop consuming something that you know will adversely affect your health. Smokers are Addicted. They know their consumption of nicotine via tobacco smoke is harming them, but they continue to do so anyway. With nicotine in vapour form, the harmful chemicals have been eliminated, and is therefore a dependency.

Father Jack Kearny explains it well in this video.

GirlyPantz, D1git, Old Dog and 6 others like this.

An addiction is when you can't stop consuming something that you know will adversely affect your health. Smokers are Addicted. They know their consumption of nicotine via tobacco smoke is harming them, but they continue to do so anyway. With nicotine in vapour form, the harmful chemicals have been eliminated, and is therefore a dependency.
    That depends on your definition of harm. What is not recognized here is the benefits of smoking and the question of whether those benefits outweigh the harm. Likewise the question of whether or not extending one's life as far as possible is good in itself. Why is living as long as possible a good thing in itself? Why should health concerns triumph all other concerns?

Why do you restrict the notion of harm to the question of health? Are there no other harms other than health? Should harm to health triumph all other harms?

Why should I live according to the dictates of those obsessed with health to the exclusion of all other values?

Is the obsession of health, of living as long as possible, itself an addiction? Why should I live according to the dictates of addicts obsessed with health?

This is not a question of whether you agree with me or not. It a question of whether you allow others to dictate the terms of debate.

AVF Regular
    Cheers mav ill watch it when I get home - limited data on this phone.

Pgscott excellent post, really got me thinking .

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    That depends on your definition of harm. What is not recognized here is the benefits of smoking and the question of whether those benefits outweigh the harm. Likewise the question of whether or not extending one's life as far as possible is good in itself. Why is living as long as possible a good thing in itself? Why should health concerns triumph all other concerns?

Why do you restrict the notion of harm to the question of health? Are there no other harms other than health? Should harm to health triumph all other harms?

Why should I live according to the dictates of those obsessed with health to the exclusion of all other values?

Is the obsession of health, of living as long as possible, itself an addiction? Why should I live according to the dictates of addicts obsessed with health?

This is not a question of whether you agree with me or not. It a question of whether you allow others to dictate the terms of debate.
    i think our obsession with health and living longer is creating an epidemic in itself. our health system is under strain because we have an ageing population and this is directly related prolonged living. If my kids get sick it takes over 3 days most the time to get a doctors appointment. 3 days later they may be starting to recover from their illness so there is no point even making an appointment.

I dont have anything against the elderly i have a lot of respect for them, but i do think there is a problem with trying to extend everyone's life as long as possible especially in cases where the decline in quality of life is a major factor.

oh i just realised how off topic that was sorry
    If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer!

Respect is an ego centric word.

It is based on the opinion of those that give respect. I respect you, just means that "I, in my opinion agree with you." or some such stuff.

What we need to do is have reverence for each other as individual beings that think.

I know that the word respect is used often in a haphazard sort of way and we all get it, but I just wish to point out where it comes from.

We have a tendancy to judge from where we sit in life and that is ok but I will die when I want.

However old I may be

RC
    fifthflo likes this.

Why does any of this shit matter?

Look at what Others do around here. Some clown called BigKev joins and says he's going to try "Change the ways of e-cigs" and they follow like a sheep. When in reality they need to sit back and tell him to piss off because he's only going to get it banned.

Stock Pile your nicotine people because the people involved in all that rubbish are going to put an end to nicotine importation. He has his own personal agendas and are using scape goats to create a "Workers Group" to push his own agendas when at the moment, nothing needs to be done. This workers group is all done behind the scenes so others with some common sense don't catch on and then we'll all get fucked on. He then has a mob to try and push his agendas too without the input of other members. All cherry picked members with low post count to make decisions which involv the government. Not a wise move!

E-Cigs in Oz Doomed

Quote "2. Get together, form a united voice and endeavour to achieve an outcome that is in our best interest. (Easy to say, not so easy to achieve and requires a bit of effort.)" He means get it taxed so he can become a nicotine vendor in Australia or sell ejuice with nicotine.

Quote "Anyone who is interested in forming some sort of an association of e-Cig users with a view to “lobbying” our views to Government and the wider community please let me know by either posting to this thread or sending me a PM." Lobby views to the government? Why even bring it up to them? They're simply going to ban it!

THIS is what the government is going to see from Aussievapers and it WILL impact everyone here but the person running this sham
    Last edited by neofelis; 09-08-13 at 06:46 PM.
    Old Dog, fifthflo, spud and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast