Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: FDA Weighs Banning Online Sales of E-Cigarettes

FDA Weighs Banning Online Sales of E-Cigarettes

FDA Weighs Banning Online Sales of E-Cigarettes Wall street journal.

FDA Weighs Banning Online Sales of E-Cigarettes - WSJ.com

Retired Account
    Damn, looks like it's the beginning of the end for free news!
    I tried to read the article, and it went to a page with an article title and a "log in to read" option

For you Mrs gruffy.

By STEPHEN DRILLThe Food and Drug Administration is considering a ban on online sales of electronic cigarettes, as part of a package of regulations the agency is readying for the increasingly popular devices, people familiar with the matter said.

The FDA has been meeting with e-cigarette makers this week to hear their views on its proposed regulations for the industry, which the agency is expected to formally unveil in October, after several delays.

The "listening sessions" at FDA headquarter in Silver Spring, Md., north of Washington, are part of a series of meetings slated for coming weeks. At least 20 FDA staffers have attended the gatherings, the people familiar with the matter said, as the agency prepares its proposals for public comment.

As part of that effort, the FDA has been weighing an online-sales ban to keep e-cigarettes out of the hands of minors and looking at whether the minimum legal age for buying them should be 18 or 19, the people said. They said the agency is also reviewing television, radio and print advertising standards for the products. Overseeing the project is Mitch Zeller, who became director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products in March.

E-cigarettes aren't yet regulated by the agency, which is poring over scientific research about the devices as it fine-tunes its proposed rules. FDA spokeswoman Jennifer Haliski confirmed the rules were being developed but declined to comment on whether the agency had a deadline for putting them out for comment.

"Further research is needed to assess the potential public-health benefits and risks of electronic cigarettes and other novel tobacco products," she said.

Analysts estimate e-cigarette sales in the U.S. will reach $1 billion this year. Bonnie Herzog, with Wells Fargo Securities, predicts sales could hit $10 billion in five years as smokers switch from tobacco to battery-operated nicotine-vaporizing technology.

An estimated 45 million Americans smoke. In 2011 they bought a total of 293 billion cigarettes, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

E-cigarettes pose a competitive threat to traditional tobacco companies—so much so that some of those companies are buying into the industry. In April 2012, Lorillard Inc., LO +1.36%the third-largest tobacco manufacturer in the U.S., paid $135 million for Blu Ecigs, based in Charlotte, N.C. In June, Silicon Valley entrepreneur Sean Parker was part of a $75 million investment in leading brand NJOY, based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The investments carry plenty of regulatory risk. New York's city council is considering three bills backed by the city's Health Department that would ban flavored tobacco. The ban would cover many e-cigarettes. The bills also would raise the city's legal age for buying tobacco and e-cigarettes to 21 from 18.

Elliot Maisel, chairman, chief executive and major shareholder of e-cigarette maker Fin Branding Group, said he isn't afraid of regulation. The Atlanta-based company started up in 2011 and released its popular Fin brand in 2012.

The company, whose products are sold in more than 40,000 outlets nationwide, expects sales to hit $60 million this year.

"If they shut me down tomorrow, would I lose money? Yes. But, do I think that's going to happen? No, because of the demand for these products," Mr. Maisel said.
    Old Dog and mrsgruffy like this.

Retired Account
    Isn't that just typical of the Americans? Don't they realise that there are many other countries in the world where vaping stuff is sold? All they'd be doing is shutting down their own industry in their own country, and making americans unemployed and closing american businesses. How do they seriously think they're going to ban online sales of vaping gear?? Flavourings? Battery tubes? Batteries? Apart from cigalikes, how exactly would they go about doing that? Thanks for copying it for me.. and for my morning funny.

You need to be an adult to own a credit card. In order for a minor to order an ecig, they'd have to steal a credit card, use it in the time that the card owner doesn't cancel it, and have the items delivered to an address that they can trust wont decline signing for the package.

Banning online sales because of the risk of kids ordering stuff using stolen credit cards is such piss weak reasoning, I can smell the bullshit from here.

The real reason why this is even a topic of discussion is all about money. Some ecig companies, particularly those owned by Big Tobacco corporations, want to have online sales of e-cigs banned so that you can only purchase vaping products from a brick and mortar tobacconist, right next to their tobacco cigarettes. Blu Cigs, owned Lorillard, have contracts with more than 50,000 tobacco retailers around the US to sell and display their Blu Cig brand of prefilled, non-refillable electronic cigarettes.

As I say in many of the topics of discussion - I'm not against Big Tobacco doing something. They want to acquire exclusive deals to sell their ecigs in B&M tobacconists around the country, then let them do that. Good for them, they got their first.

But to actively pursue restrictions on your competitor's method of sales because you cant compete, is very fucking low.

I think in the end the bottom line for every country will be the $$$ they dont want to lose their cash cow to the untaxed e-cig market.so prepare now and stock up on DIY as regulation and taxation is inevitable.

It's all about the MSA .......................

The settlement included a payment by the companies of $365.5 billion, agreement to possible Food and Drug Administration regulation under certain circumstances, and stronger warning labels and restrictions on advertising. In exchange the companies would be freed from class-action suits and litigation costs would be capped.[10]:422

Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    mavinry4 likes this.

Update: FDA has issued a clarification regarding the article in the wall st journal.

Clarification Regarding August 22 Wall Street Journal Article
    mrsgruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    At least we got this out of it. XD

Noe, Old Dog, Hoey and 1 others like this.

Boy, I know I feel safer knowing the American government is looking out for my interests!!!

This post brought to you by your friends at the NSA
    Old Dog, mrsgruffy and necro like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast