Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why Snus Is Important

Why Snus Is Important

Swedish Snus is very important to the e-cigarette community because it is the proof that THR works, that it works spectacularly well, and that it is the only thing that does work once smoking prevalence is reduced to a certain level. It is the reason why we know the factual results of THR and why there is no need for a debate about this: we already have the facts.

Why Snus Is Important

AVF Regular
    What's THR?

Tobacco Harm Reduction

No idea what THR stands for,,possibly tobacco harm reduction ??? only thing I could think of at the moment
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

necro replied as I was typing..
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

AVF Regular
    I read the whole article which mentions 'THR' about a 1000 times and I still couldn't work out what it was.....till it just jumped into my head; Tobacco Harm Reduction?? So annoying that writers these days just assume everyone knows what the acronyms mean.

Anyway, good article except for one small thing. The whole 're-normalisation' of smoking argument. Snus is acceptable because it's basically invisible and entirely non-intrusive to bystanders.

Vaping on the other hand is ostentatious. The delicate and the paranoid object to a vapour filled environment. And vaping looks almost identical to smoking so the two are inextricably linked by association, which complicates the argument quite a lot as the anti-smoking nazis have a little nervy turn when they see something that even looks remotely like smoking.

Some people claim that nicotine liquids are neither a medicine nor a tobacco product. That nicotine liquids and electronic cigarettes should be regulated as a different product all together, much life caffeine.

In theory, I support this view. Nicotine is as much a tobacco product as Pharmeceutical oestrogen is a horse product. In theory, it is absurd to consider a single molecule extracted from a plant to be considered that specific plant's product.

However, in practice, CASAA has found that it much more pragmatic to have nicotine liquids redefined as "modified risk tobacco products", and regulated in tobacco policies under the same section as snus, accurately as low risk products.

This is a relevant read : Stop the ANTZ: Are nicotine e-cigarettes a tobacco product?
    Old Dog likes this.

Great article. I think a lot of people who fail to succeed in quitting with vaping alone could, like me, quit with snus or a combination of snus and vaping or even snus + snuff + vaping. All reduced/insignificant harm products like e-liquid, snus and snuff should be freely available for retail sale at a minimal tax rate for people to use and enjoy however the frigging hell they want to. Combustible tobacco should be taxed at the same rate as it is now.

At a stroke, this law would make cigarettes extremely uncompetitive in the marketplace, and save tons of money for those who switch. No need for any health campaigns, so money saved there too. No need to fund Chimpman and his lackeys; they'll have to get real jobs.
    mavinry4, JenJ and necro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapes of Groth View Post
    No need for any health campaigns, so money saved there too. No need to fund Chimpman and his lackeys; they'll have to get real jobs.
    No harm in keeping what was already won though. Just needs to be tweaked a little.

Old Dog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Anyway, good article except for one small thing. The whole 're-normalisation' of smoking argument. Snus is acceptable because it's basically invisible and entirely non-intrusive to bystanders.
    This is the whole point, JenJ.

It's supposed to be about public health, not ideology.
    JenJ likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast