Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By FOCharlie
  • 1 Post By LizBiz25
  • 1 Post By mavinry4
  • 3 Post By Old Dog

Thread: Daily Mail publishes article claiming ecigs are "just as harmful" as tobacco

Daily Mail publishes article claiming ecigs are "just as harmful" as tobacco

The DailyMail has recently published an article that claims electronic cigarettes are just as harmful as tobacco smoke. The article includes anti-vaping hysteria such as a quote from a public health professor claiming ecigs could act as a gateway for children into tobacco smoking. Some people in the comments section found this particular quote from the article quite suspicious:

"the best way to quit smoking is the patch or chewing gum."

Gregory Conley from CASAA and Clive Bates have been discussing a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission. Clive Bates announced on twitter that he has contacted the Press Complaints Commission about this article.

In january of this year, the DailyMail published a similar fear mongering article. After a complaint to the Press Commission by ecig advocates including Clive Bates, the DailyMail retracted their January article.

This recent article claims that "in three models out of ten the levels of the carcinogenic compound formaldehyde come close to those of a conventional cigarette." and that 'The highly toxic molecule acrolein was also detected in the vapours of e-cigarettes, sometimes at levels even higher than in traditional cigarettes.'. There was also criticism over the lack of child-proof safety caps.

Mr Laurenceau added: 'It's not a reason to ban them, but a good reason to control them.'

--------

This should be interesting. I'll wait for the more vocal bloggers to respond to topic of Formaldehyde and acrolein levels. But I do want to say that as a consumer advocate, (i.e not talking in the interest of vendors), that I am in total favour of requiring nicotine liquids to be sold in child proof capping. While many of us here are responsible enough to keep our juices away from children, I know many smokers who are complete irresponsible dipshits. If nicotine sales were to be legalised in Australia, leading to vaping becoming more mainstream, I would much prefer that all nicotine bottles be required to have child proof capping.

Having said that, I think this DailyMail article was written and paid for by a company selling nicotine replacement therapy products. I hope it gets retracted or at least edited to tone down the scare hype that is trying to be pushed by whoever.

When Mr. Laurenceau mentions "good reason to control them", I read "good reason to regulate their sales as Medical Products, and regulate where they can be used as Tobacco Products". For which my response to both is, **** no.

EDIT: corrected first link
    Last edited by mavinry4; 27-08-13 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixed first link

They should be forced to write not only a retraction, but reference where they sourced their original information from in the first place.

This won't happen as it would probably open them up for some sort of legal action from manufacturers/vendors etc!
    Old Dog and mavinry4 like this.

AVF Regular
    lol if you follow the link now you get the following "A Health article on January 27 said some experts believe electronic cigarettes can be more harmful than real ones. In fact we are not aware of any experts who hold this view compared to the risks of cancer, heart disease and lung damage from real cigarettes. We apologise for any contrary suggestion."
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LizBiz25 View Post
    lol if you follow the link now you get the following "A Health article on January 27 said some experts believe electronic cigarettes can be more harmful than real ones. In fact we are not aware of any experts who hold this view compared to the risks of cancer, heart disease and lung damage from real cigarettes. We apologise for any contrary suggestion."
    I had to correct the first link.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Cheers.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Lazy, stupid, wrong Ė the Mail canít stop itself.

Clive Bates has his say ..........

Lazy, stupid, wrong Ė the Mail canít stop itself ę The counterfactual

It's amazing that the commenters are more well informed than the author.