Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By Old Dog
  • 4 Post By spud
  • 3 Post By Old Dog
  • 1 Post By Nothingexpert
  • 2 Post By RippleInStillWater
  • 1 Post By spud

Thread: N.Y.Times attacks e-cigarette marketing for…marketing e-cigarettes, successfully

N.Y.Times attacks e-cigarette marketing for…marketing e-cigarettes, successfully

“It seems that the e-cigarette marketers are doing their jobs well,” Dr. Ross continues. “So what? If Chevy and Nike can do so, why not e-cigarettes? No one involved in this article bothers to pay even casual attention to the public health miracle these little devices seem to be responsible for: cigarette sales are in historic declines in parallel with the upsurge in vaping. Meanwhile, 45 million Americans keep on smoking and dying, the latter at a rate of over 400,000 deaths yearly, from tobacco cigarette smoke. Vaping has harmed no one that we can identify, as of today. So, I must ask again, and not for the last time: why do Mr. Myers, Tom Frieden’s CDC, Harold Wimmer’s ALA, the FDA, all stand in the way of smoker’s getting off deadly cigarettes via e-cigarettes? Why do they tell desperate smokers to stick with the approved NRTs, when they do not work?”

N.Y.Times attacks e-cigarette marketing for...marketing e-cigarettes, successfully | American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    “It seems that the e-cigarette marketers are doing their jobs well,” Dr. Ross continues. “So what? If Chevy and Nike can do so, why not e-cigarettes? No one involved in this article bothers to pay even casual attention to the public health miracle these little devices seem to be responsible for: cigarette sales are in historic declines in parallel with the upsurge in vaping. Meanwhile, 45 million Americans keep on smoking and dying, the latter at a rate of over 400,000 deaths yearly, from tobacco cigarette smoke. Vaping has harmed no one that we can identify, as of today. So, I must ask again, and not for the last time: why do Mr. Myers, Tom Frieden’s CDC, Harold Wimmer’s ALA, the FDA, all stand in the way of smoker’s getting off deadly cigarettes via e-cigarettes? Why do they tell desperate smokers to stick with the approved NRTs, when they do not work?”

N.Y.Times attacks e-cigarette marketing for...marketing e-cigarettes, successfully | American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)
    The last sentence says it all, and its a question that is going to have to asked again and again and again, even though we already know the answer. The question we need to be asking in Australia is "why is nicotine in ejuice illegal to sell and buy, (apart from the loop holes that currently exist), when nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products is freely and widely available, not to mention the "approved" NRTs that are available to children on supermarket shelves?".

As MrsGruffy mentioned on another thread, I would love to be able to buy a good quality nicotine juice, with reliable nic levels, and known ingredients, at my local shop, even if I had to use ID as with alcohol or tobacco products. And as I've said before, what we have is stupid legislation, made by stupid politicians, to placate the ignorant, and hypocritical, (looking at you Chapman). Our current laws are not about protecting the consumer, they are about punishing those that enjoy nicotine as a stimulant.

This need to punish people for perceived failings. It's a vibe these days, all about punishing the individual, and putting all responsibility onto the individual, even when this is not an appropriate portioning of blame. For example, our current system of welfare punishes people for being unemployed, despite that fact that the stereotype of the dole bludger does not reflect the reality of unemployment today.

While the question of smoking, and vaping by association, (that's another topic that needs addressing), is seen as a moral or character failing, there will be no sensible discussion based on evidence.
    Last edited by spud; 02-09-13 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    The question we need to be asking in Australia is "why is nicotine in ejuice illegal to sell and buy, (apart from the loop holes that currently exist), when nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products is freely and widely available, not to mention the "approved" NRTs that are available to children on supermarket shelves?".
    I believe that those in the know saw what was coming, and rescheduled nicotine to buy some time.

They want to see what happens in the major markets first, to determine which way they jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    I believe that those in the know saw what was coming, and rescheduled nicotine to buy some time.

They want to see what happens in the major markets first, to determine which way they jump.
    So either the nicotine in cigarettes and NRT's will need to be classed as a poison and made illegal, or the nicotine in ejuice will need to be regulated and standards met so it can be sold legally in Australia. Any other position doesn't make sense.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    So either the nicotine in cigarettes and NRT's will need to be classed as a poison and made illegal, or the nicotine in ejuice will need to be regulated and standards met so it can be sold legally in Australia. Any other position doesn't make sense.
    Looking for sense in regulation is like looking for reason in fundamentalism.

Just look at vehicle standards. Safety takes a back seat to uniformity, especially when it comes to motorcycles.

Sent from my personal mind control implant.
    spud likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

The government here and its semantics are unconscionable but part of the result of the differing classes/races and those who make the laws. There are far more stringent (and unwavering) sentences for crack, a poor man's drug, than there are for coke, a white, middle-class drug -- I don't know why but that other citizens aren't upset by this kind of bullshit is surprising. Or maybe it isn't, I have seen democracy in action and the voters are normally morons, we need a Geniocracy to rule this planet but unfortunately we have a bunch of fatheaded opportunists........
    Driesy77 and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RippleInStillWater View Post
    The government here and its semantics are unconscionable but part of the result of the differing classes/races and those who make the laws. There are far more stringent (and unwavering) sentences for crack, a poor man's drug, than there are for coke, a white, middle-class drug -- I don't know why but that other citizens aren't upset by this kind of bullshit is surprising. Or maybe it isn't, I have seen democracy in action and the voters are normally morons, we need a Geniocracy to rule this planet but unfortunately we have a bunch of fatheaded opportunists........
    Ah governments! We have a federal election we are compelled to attend this coming Saturday, and as my Dad so aptly describes it, "it like judging a prettiest dog turd competition, in the end its all still shit".
    Driesy77 likes this.

Ah governments! We have a federal election we are compelled to attend this coming Saturday, and as my Dad so aptly describes it, "it like judging a prettiest dog turd competition, in the end its all still shit".
    +1 for your Dad spud.