Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By Old Dog
  • 1 Post By pgscott
  • 2 Post By kay67kay
  • 1 Post By spud
  • 2 Post By Samtron

Thread: European Genocide

European Genocide

Them's fightin' words ...........................

Otherwise we will be sent back in time to the era where individuals must quit or die. Most smokers want to quit, and have made numerous quit attempts, yet 90% of these end in relapse. So since they cannot quit, half of them must die. They are on a highway to death, and Brussels will have blocked the one pragmatic exit.

And to most reasonable voters, that amounts to genocide, for which Ministers should personally be held to account.

European Genocide – ESTEEM Premium

Can't say i agree with this Old Dog. I smoked for forty years and did so because I enjoyed it knowing full well the possible consequences. It was my choice and I and only I am responsible for that choice and the consequences.

Blaming others, whether Big Tobacco or Gov, is simply begging Gov and do-gooders to step in and make laws restricting our liberties and choices - all for our own good.

I would have thought the idea was exactly the opposite - to keep Gov and do-gooders out our business.

Once you invite the Gov and do-gooders in to "do something" you have only yourselves to blame if they end up doing something that you don't like. The point should be to keep them out.
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post

I would have thought the idea was exactly the opposite - to keep Gov and do-gooders out our business.
    and that's exactly what this is about. the idea is for the govt and do-gooders to butt out and let us use ecigs to help us get off the stinkies, instead of making them much less accessible through medical regulations.
    Samtron and spud like this.

That may be the idea Kay, but the reasoning they are using is precisely the same rationale that do-gooders use to justify their interventions.

So since they cannot quit, half of them must die.
    Followed by -

that amounts to genocide, for which Ministers should personally be held to account.
    That is putting the responsibility for one's own actions and choices into the hands of others and blaming others for one's own choices.

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    That may be the idea Kay, but the reasoning they are using is precisely the same rationale that do-gooders use to justify their interventions.

Followed by -

That is putting the responsibility for one's own actions and choices into the hands of others and blaming others for one's own choices.
    I agree with taking personal responsibility but there is a point where the tobacco companies deliberately produced a product that they made as addictive as possible, without conscience and without concern for those they intended to get addicted. The government, which is responsible for making sure companies do not sell dangerous goods ignored this because they reaped the financial rewards of the sales. If it was just about selling tobacco, that would be different, but its not, the additives to the tobacco are a huge problem, and is largely unregulated.

I know that eating tim tams is not particularly good for me, but, if the biscuit company was adding arsenic to the product because it caused the product to be more addictive, without disclosing this to me as a consumer, not only would it make the product more dangerous to my health. but it would not be tolerated by the regulatory bodies responsible for making sure the products we consume are not dangerous.

This is essentially what cigarette companies have been allowed to get away with.

There is personal responsibility, and there is putting blame where it belongs, and in the case of tobacco, not all the responsibility lays with the end user.
    Samtron likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    if they are so opposed to ecigs, which are currently managed via market forces, they need to ban cigarettes outright. we KNOW cigarettes kill.

their argument doesn't make sense. ecigs are no more a medical device than cigarettes are a medical device. neither should be treated as such.

if one however is LESS harmful than another? it should have more market freedom/availability than the other.

we should be asking governments to reconsider making ecigs a "medicinal product". i think this is what the article and old dog are getting at?
    kay67kay and spud like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.