Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Vapers are losing friends in our effort to save ourselves.

Vapers are losing friends in our effort to save ourselves.

I am very uncomfortable when vapers try to rescue us by tramping on the heads of smokers and trashing the habit which was theirs too. I am sorry we are losing friends - good friends - through our behaviour.

vapingpoint: Vapers are losing friends in our effort to save ourselves. Is there a solution?
    spud likes this.

It's fashionable at the moment to jump on board the e-cig bandwagon and embrace anyone who supports the product - even those who have spent years advocating further restrictions against smokers.

I have always been suspicious of zealots and evangelical converts of all persuasions and the e-cig movement seems to be full of them.

Simon Clark - Taking Liberties - I won't invest in smoker phobic rants. I'm*out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    It's fashionable at the moment to jump on board the e-cig bandwagon and embrace anyone who supports the product - even those who have spent years advocating further restrictions against smokers.

I have always been suspicious of zealots and evangelical converts of all persuasions and the e-cig movement seems to be full of them.

Simon Clark - Taking Liberties - I won't invest in smoker phobic rants. I'm*out.
    I would dearly love my friends and family that are smokers, to be able to switch to vaping, but wont nag, and wont go around like I'm better than them because I no longer smoke. I left the ash buckets on the table, and they are welcome to smoke if the feel like it. I just politely refuse the offer of a smoke, because I am still an addict, and like an alcoholic, one would be enough. I also wont go the other way and feel ashamed of making the switch, I have every right to feel good about vaping instead of smoking.

I have found that smokers ask me about it, and I'm happy to give them my story and the information I have learned so far. As long as we encourage people, without making judgements about them, or doing what I hated for so long, pompous superiority and over weening patronising from anti-smokers, then I'm sure I wont lose any friends, and will probably gain a few new ones, (this has already been the case).

I make a distinction, (an important one), between people who are anti-tobacco products, and those that are anti-smokers. The former are those that want to see a dangerous product regulated and eventually be replaced, and they are usually all for harm reduction, they hate the harm that tobacco causes their friends and family, but don't hate the person. The latter are misanthropes, who simply hate people that aren't the same as them, and like to control and bully others, because they are either ignorant of the harm they are doing, or they are narcissists who enjoy the harm they are doing.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Ill admit i was a little preachy at the start but i realised pretty quick the sort of people i roll with dont respond to that sort of approach. but its been 8 months now and ive never really converted anyone fully ive just sat back and let the few who have wanted to try it give it a go and approach me for the info and i fill them in email some links and leave it at that.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

AVF Regular
    I only convert people who is really interest in e-cig. At the end of the day, it's their motivation, it's their choices. No hard feelings.
    RippleInStillWater and spud like this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

I converted my son strait away ..
    No ashtrays in this house anymore
    tally-ho likes this.

AVF Regular
    it's hard not to preach when it smells that bad!!!

can't believe i used to smell that bad....i still ask my fiance how she put up with me...apparently i was hot enough, even though i tasted like an ashtray.

heck as a smoker i used to admit that smoking shouldn't really be allowed....and that it was a bit of a filthy habit...

but i never shove vaping in people's face. I'll ask anyone that'll listen or shows interest to consider it though...

the biggest thing for me is this is the first winter i've gone through...without a chest infection. Dun really care what anyone else says...that is proof enough for me that i'm doing the right thing...people used to know i was awake from the morning coughing fit i would have EVERY day...and every winter i would get sick...i'm stoked with vaping.
    margyb and spud like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    I only convert people who is really interest in e-cig. At the end of the day, it's their motivation, it's their choices. No hard feelings.

Yeah, I also tell them there is way better shit than Blu or Njoy, I think they put those out there to keep people smoking..

Admittedly, I think its easier here in the USA to find other options.......
    Samtron and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    I've converted around 6 people, I look at this way, I only tell smokers what I'm doing when I'm vaping, I also tell them the cost compared to smokes, I also tell them the health benifits to them and the people around them. If they are interested after that, I set them up with a good starter kit either locally or online, I make sure they know I'm not doing this for any money what so ever, I'm doing this because it saved me and I'm happy to share my knowledge to save others.
    Every convert that I converted has told others in the same manner, I just hope it works 6 fold, my six turns to 36, 36 turns to 216, 216 turns to 1296, 1296 turns to 7776 etc, and I'm always open to convert more.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by aussievapes View Post
    I've converted around 6 people, I look at this way, I only tell smokers what I'm doing when I'm vaping, I also tell them the cost compared to smokes, I also tell them the health benifits to them and the people around them. If they are interested after that, I set them up with a good starter kit either locally or online, I make sure they know I'm not doing this for any money what so ever, I'm doing this because it saved me and I'm happy to share my knowledge to save others.
    Every convert that I converted has told others in the same manner, I just hope it works 6 fold, my six turns to 36, 36 turns to 216, 216 turns to 1296, 1296 turns to 7776 etc, and I'm always open to convert more.
    Jeff
    Its interesting how many smokers really do want to quit the stinkies, they aren't stupid, and they are not uncaring people, most of them, (the ones I know at least), already do not smoke around kids, their own or other peoples, they don't litter their butts, they don't smoke around non-smokers, and are generally very very considerate of other people. In WA we have some of the strictest anti-smoking laws in the country, and there is a compliance rate above 95%. All this tells me that people that demonise smokers and try and make them out to be bad people are doing so because they like to, not because smokers are inherently bad people that need this type of treatment. They need alternative options, not lectures on how bad they are.

This is one of the reasons I absolutely refuse to treat smokers in this negative way, and use the positive experience of vaping to give the smokers I know an alternative option to killing themselves. These are good people that I want in my life for many more years, and this is why I want to tell them about vaping.

I had no idea that vaping was an option up until a few short weeks ago, and although the person that showed me the way, I didn't know, and have never met, their positive attitude towards helping people that smoke is something I will be forever grateful for.

I don't want to pester people, or make them feel bad because they smoke, but I will tell every smoker I know about vaping, in a positive way, because ya never know, they may be just like me, and had no idea that vaping exists
    Old Dog, Samtron, coopz and 1 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast