Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Imperial Tobacco to make all your vape are belong to them

Imperial Tobacco to make all your vape are belong to them

Imperial Tobacco is looking to purchase Ruyan. Ruyan doesn't have much of a retail presence, but they do own patents. BluCigs had to settle with the company before the Lorillard deal could happen. Ruyan's first victory in defending their intellectual property was in 2009 against the company Cixi Ecig. Cixi had to destroy a large portion of their ecig stocks. Cixi Ecig is the company who's website URL is banned from AVF because they sell 99% nicotine.

Ruyan own the ecigs that contain piezoelectric technology. From what I can gather (thnx to marty for the links), Piezoelectric technology involves devices that generates an electrical current when exposed to some form of stress. In other words, basically all of the auto 510 batteries are belong to Ruyan. This would explain why BluCigs needed to settle with Ruyan before being acquired by Lorrilard and why Ruyan has in the past taken several ecig companies, including NJOY, to court over patent infringement.

But this raises a bigger issue. If Big Tobacco continue to see a major drop in tobacco leaf cigarette sales in coming years, will they simply begin to buy up companies like Janty, Ovale, Vision, Smoktek, Boge-Dekang, Innokin, etc etc? Do they even have enough money to do this? Are the Chinese companies, and Hon Lik especially, who's father died of lung cancer which was the reason for inventing the ecig, even willing to sell their technologies?

In my opinion, I think this whole patent dispute goes to show how clueless Big Tobacco really are. They are spending millions of dollars on Hollywood and TV Stars to promote their products, when what they should be doing to snatching up Samsung and Apple patent lawyers. Think capacity touch screen ecigs, and slide-to-unlock function.

AVF Regular
    Imperial tobacco are also trying to buy the Chinese company Dragonite (the same company, Hun Lik co-ownes, he's the one that invented E-cigs) for 75 million USD, Imperial want to launch their own E-cig next year.... it just needs the chinese company share holders to approve the sale.
    source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ette-unit.html

I know of Juice makers (some of the bigger ones and also some of the smaller boutique companies) in the US being approached by Big Tobacco to be bought out by Big Tobacco... there is strong indicators that at lest one certain major juice company has already sold out to them. I have heard first hand, some of the offers, it's srsly large amounts of money, that are being offered even to small companies...
    Make no bones about it, Big Tobacco are shit scared of E-cigs and know its the future of "smoking" and they are trying to buy up as much of it as they can...
    Last edited by TheDishD; 05-09-13 at 03:56 AM.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

AVF Regular
    It will all go in the same fashion as you see the going on in with Technology and mobile companies. In may well become gossip just like Microsoft bought Nokia. Or Apple Samsung patent wars etc.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

I know this will probably happen, as the tobacco companies are the ones with the money, but I would really hate to see the small companies get taken over by big tobacco. They are unethical, and care nothing for the people they have flogged their poison to over the decades, they are no better than the chemical companies that killed, or the asbestos companies that killed, and they will use the same methods to make money as they always have, whether it kills vapers or not, they just don't care.

If we didn't have such stupid regulation on nic juice in Australia, imagine the boost to our economy if we could manufacture our own Aussie nic juices, with good consumer protection standards. We could even look at retooling some of the manufacturing companies, and produce our own batteries and mods. There are some awesome inventors in this country, and vaping could be one area that we could excel, but at the moment there is little incentive to do so.

I think the best we can do is boycott the companies owned by big tobacco, and not reward them for using blood money to buy up small vape companies. Support the small businesses, and in particular our Aussie businesses when we can.

I don't want my hard earned going to an unethical hypocritical government in the form of cigarette taxes, but at the same time, I do not want my hard earned going into the pockets of criminals and murderers in the form of tobacco companies. In today's world of corporatisation, we need to be ethically aware of where our money is going, and who is benefitting from it.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

joe
    Man I hate the whole idea of patents

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    spud likes this.

luckily its not exactly hi-tech, we can essentially buy enough e-liquid to last a lifetime for not much money and I can probably knock up a PCB for a variable VV/VW controller and battery charger in a matter of hours (need someone else for software) and I can make the PCB in my workshop and mechanical mods are even more basic if you have the tools. so if it came to it, being self sufficient wouldnt be such a huge deal and would save everyone money i'm sure ...

piezoelectric? hmm seems an odd use of the term. for Ecigs like the ego; its going to be just the button for the switch, it doesnt generate the current to do anything except trigger a microcontroller

a mechanical mod contains such basic and widely used mechanisms that are used for all manner of stuff; that defending a patent for ecigs of that type would be extremely difficult
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 05-09-13 at 03:33 PM.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well the term MOD comes from people back in the day Modifying flashlights into vaping devices as cig-a-likes where the only thing around then and we all know how quickly vapers get sick of the short battery life of those!

bit like coming around full circle, but to be honest i really cant see these new laws and making e-cigs into medical products coming into effect, the amount of court action will muddle the waters for years if they do....
    Even the countries (esply europe) where the governments have tried to, have be repealed. Just look at Italy the government was going to bring in a Tax and there was such public discourse that they dropped it...

Big Tobacco KNOW that E-cigs are the future of "smoking" and that ciggies will/are a thing of the past, they just want to keep on making Billions of dollars per year, so they are jumping on E-cigs.

Big Phama are in shite position, E-cigs have overtaken NRT as the biggest form of people getting off smokes, they want to turn it into a medical product so that they control the profit and make back all the money that they have spent on NRT reaserch and products (which pretty much fail)

I think it excellent that a consumer lead product (which E-cigs are, no government pushes them as as way to quite ciggies, its all done by the people) has become the biggest and best way for smokes to give up the death sticks...

Its a long vid but it is an excellent vid by the VTTV crew, on a very recent trip to the Euro parliment and interveiws with some of the major players...

spud likes this.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

AVF Regular
    piezoelectric? hmm seems an odd use of the term.
    this is only for automatic batteries, where it is fired by the vaper taking a drag. a lot of the cigalikes are activated this way.

ahh OK, right, while the tech used in the devices under discussion here is all very familiar to me, the vaper terminology isnt. only just started vaping yesterday and never tried the cigalikes, thought they were stupid. ive gone directly from rollies and styvos to clearos and i'm already thinking of DIY ideas.

the switch on the manual 510 is very likely piezo as well, or maybe its a membrane switch, its a very broad term; capacitors and other passive parts on PCBs can generate a piezo-electric charge when you tap on the PCB with your finger, so some parts can actually be microphonic if part of an audio circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDishD
    Well the term MOD comes from people back in the day Modifying flashlights into vaping devices as cig-a-likes where the only thing around then and we all know how quickly vapers get sick of the short battery life of those!
    sure I know where it comes from, but lets just say that fairly advanced short run manufacturing processes have never been more accessible or affordable and the technology even on the most advanced ones is not overly complicated or expensive. extending the battery life is as simple as making the power more controllable, the same technology that has made class D amplifiers for audio and switchmode power supplies of all types capable of over 90% efficiency; can be used here in place of the direct battery connection. I gather thats exactly what some do already, there is nothing groundbreaking about the tech, just the application is new.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 05-09-13 at 04:13 PM.

I would hate to say this but just occurred to me. Maybe we as vapers would be slightly better off in the future if Big T, did get their hands in the market. I fear we have no muscle against Big P and their lobbying groups thus their coerced Government restrictions emplaced on us. Maybe dare I say it: in a fight between the dammed maybe a devil on the side of we the (wanna be) good maybe our only chance of our healthier existence.

Just a flash of thought and my 2 cents.
    mattrix likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast