Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Top 10 Studies on Nicotine You Need to Know About

Top 10 Studies on Nicotine You Need to Know About

Yes. About time a major vape blog did this. We did something similar the other month: The wonderful benefits of using nicotine

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post

Yes. About time a major vape blog did this. We did something similar the other month: The wonderful benefits of using nicotine
    Thanks for this, it would be interesting to see a study done on nicotine and anxiety, as so many of the people I know with problems with anxiety seem to self medicate with smoking, so perhaps it is the nicotine that is really helping them, rather than the tobacco? I know that it has certainly been the case for me, and vaping seems to have the same effect as the smokes in helping me to relax and be less anxious. I had a pretty stressful day at work today, but got home and spent an hour on the patio with my vape and my pups, and the anxiety melted away. Hmmmm the study would have to allow for variables such as dogs though

I have never found any other drug, such as alcohol or pharma medications, to have the same relaxing effect as nicotine, and with vaping I get the benefits without the harm of tobacco smoking, or the hangovers or fuzzy brain from alcohol and other pharma medications, win win win.
    GirlyPantz and Samtron like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

?????????????????????
    Last edited by spud; 06-09-13 at 01:25 AM. Reason: double post
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Thanks for this, it would be interesting to see a study done on nicotine and anxiety, as so many of the people I know with problems with anxiety seem to self medicate with smoking, so perhaps it is the nicotine that is really helping them, rather than the tobacco? I know that it has certainly been the case for me, and vaping seems to have the same effect as the smokes in helping me to relax and be less anxious. I had a pretty stressful day at work today, but got home and spent an hour on the patio with my vape and my pups, and the anxiety melted away. Hmmmm the study would have to allow for variables such as dogs though

I have never found any other drug, such as alcohol or pharma medications, to have the same relaxing effect as nicotine, and with vaping I get the benefits without the harm of tobacco smoking, or the hangovers or fuzzy brain from alcohol and other pharma medications, win win win.
    Some anti-nicotine advocates would claim that the relief from anxiety by nicotine is an illusion. That the anxiety you feel is merely your addiction to (or more accurately your dependence on) nicotine screaming out to be fed. However I think it is a very misleading claim, often spouted by those who have a deep seeded puritanical hate for anything pleasurable. They're the kind of people who think that you must earn pleasure, and that stimulants such as nicotine are a way of cheating. Nicotine binds to several parts of the brain, and one part of the brain in particular which connects directly to the pleasure centre. It most definitely provides a pleasure hit, despite what anti-nicotine advocates claim. Any pleasure hit is enough to relieve anxiety to some degree. Food, sex, massage, alcohol, music, comedy, and the ever abundant and more potent illicit drugs.

The great thing about nicotine, and one of the reasons why it's so popular, is that it doesn't impair your mental capabilities or judgement whilst providing the pleasure hit. That's why it's not a crime to use nicotine and drive. In fact, smoking/vaping/patch wearing/quickmist spraying, gum chewing drivers are probably the most relaxed and focused people on the road.

The reason Vaping, (and smoking) is preferred over other forms of nicotine intake is because they involve far more than the internal brain stimulation. The passing of smoke or vapor through the mouth, throat and lungs provides a physical sensation. There is also the taste, and aroma. Nicotine may provide a psychological stimulation, but it also provides the throat hit which is a physical sensation. All these other factors constribute to the pleasure hit and constribute to relieving oneself of their anxiety, to some degree. Vaping's advantage over combusted tobacco leaf smoke is that it wont kill you.

Nicotine may very well become a pharmaceutical for the treatment of anxiety. In order to sell it as a treatment for anxiety, it's needs to be clinically proven as a treatment for anxiety. That is fair game to charge a 2 million dollar medical licencing fee to sell a single ejuice bottle brand. But the company selling the anti-anxiety ejuice is not paying 2 million dollars for nothing. They are paying the 2 million dollars so that they can print the words "This drug will relieve anxiety", and have medical professionals prescribe it, not merely recommend it which is the most vaping will ever get from doctors.

But if you're not making that claim on the bottle, there is no reason for the Government to require every ejuice seller to pay such high sale authorisation fees. And if it's not impairing your mental capacity, and it's not affecting your health, there should be no reason to regulate it like a narcotic, or tax it like tobacco cigarettes.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 06-09-13 at 01:22 PM.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply, and I agree with the points you've made. It seems that the pharma companies want to be able to control the way people find relief from anxiety, (personally I don't think that the lack of nicotine causes anywhere near the anxiety as the other stressors in my life do). I would prefer to use nicotine than any of the pharma drugs that also change brain chemistry, are addictive, and can lead to suicidal thoughts, cognitive degeneration, and who knows what other long term health problems. Yet we see the prescriptions for these dangerous drugs increasing year on year.

What a world!!!
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4 and JenJ like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    Some anti-nicotine advocates would claim that the relief from anxiety by nicotine is an illusion. That the anxiety you feel is merely your addiction to (or more accurately your dependence on) nicotine screaming out to be fed. However I think it is a very misleading claim, often spouted by those who have a deep seeded puritanical hate for anything pleasurable. They're the kind of people who think that you must earn pleasure, and that stimulants such as nicotine are a way of cheating. Nicotine binds to several parts of the brain, and one part of the brain in particular which connects directly to the pleasure centre. It most definitely provides a pleasure hit, despite what anti-nicotine advocates claim. Any pleasure hit is enough to relieve anxiety to some degree. Food, sex, massage, alcohol, music, comedy, and the ever abundant and more potent illicit drugs.
    I've wondered about this a lot. The question I often come back to is would nicotine relieve anxiety in someone who's never smoked?

It is a mild drug for sure, because I have had occasional bouts of fairly extreme anxiety and on those occasions nicotine only relieves it slightly.

Another thing I wonder about is the soothing effect of sucking. I breastfed my baby and can't help seeing a parallel between the way a baby's distress is so easily ameliorated by the breast or a dummy. It's also obvious how much pleasure a baby gets from breastfeeding, always amazed me; eyes rolling back and a total body relaxation as soon as the nipple goes in the mouth. I'm no Freudian, but sucking=soothing is clearly primal.

So maybe it's not nicotine alone that relieves anxiety, but the primal soothing combination of sucking and pleasure that smoking or vaping gives. Somewhere in the depths of our subconscious brain is a body-memory of early experiences of relief of anxiety or distress that's triggered every time we draw on a cigarette or PV?
    Last edited by JenJ; 07-09-13 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    I've wondered about this a lot. The question I often come back to is would nicotine relieve anxiety in someone who's never smoked?

It is a mild drug for sure, because I have had occasional bouts of fairly extreme anxiety and on those occasions nicotine only relieves it slightly.

Another thing I wonder about is the soothing effect of sucking. I breastfed my baby and can't help seeing a parallel between the way a baby's distress is so easily ameliorated by the breast or a dummy. It's also obvious how much pleasure a baby gets from breastfeeding, always amazed me; eyes rolling back and a total body relaxation as soon as the nipple goes in the mouth. I'm no Freudian, but sucking=soothing is clearly primal.

So maybe it's not nicotine alone that relieves anxiety, but the primal soothing combination of sucking and pleasure that smoking or vaping gives. Somewhere in the depths of our subconscious brain is a body-memory of early experiences of relief of anxiety or distress that's triggered every time we draw on a cigarette or PV?
    Good point about the breast feeding, although for me, (as I've mentioned in another thread), it is as much the repetitive actions of smoking, and now vaping that I find soothing as much as the nicotine itself. Vaping is also something that I never do if I'm racing around doing other stuff, the same as when I used to smoke, I never walked around smoking and the most active thing I would allow myself to do was reading. So perhaps it is the ritual, of intentionally stopping what I'm doing, sitting, and vaping, that relieves the anxiety, and the nicotine is simply the justification for performing the ritual. Its also a good way to remove myself from a stressful situation, and have alone time.

It really is quite a complex behaviour, which certainly doesn't correlate with the simple need for nicotine being the primary driver. If nicotine addiction was why people smoked, then satisfying the need for the drug, in whatever alternative form, then the gums, patches etc, would work very well in getting people to stop smoking, but we all know that this is not the case. This is why I think vaping is so successful as a smoking cessation device, because it supplies the nicotine, as well as the ritual, and other behaviours that made smoking so popular in the first place.
    GirlyPantz, Old Dog and mavinry4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post

I have no doubt that oral fixation is part of the appeal. Great point. The sucking motion is most definitely something that stimulates the pleasure hit. It's why babies don't have to be taught to suck on their mother breast. They just do.

Que for the Sigmund Freud and sucking on 6-inch Phallic jokes to flood in.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 07-09-13 at 02:22 AM.

I don't think nicotine is a good thing long term, after all it's a vasoconstrictor.
    But for me, it's always helped in times of stress and anxiety. The amount of times just going outside and having a smoke cleared my head is not possible to count. It certainly helps more than over thinking things and working myself up into a mess. Or having a cordial, or a few glasses of beer/wine/spirits as well.

Whether it was life problems, trying to think of paragraph in a essay or report, or think how best to tackle a mechanical problem, I seem to always think best with a smoke and some contemplation.
    Could be just sitting outside doing nothing, could be the hand to mouth action; well really I can say it's not, because I've sat outside doing nothing or munching on peanuts and it didn't help as much! That's why I smoked in the past, and why I presently vape.
    Last edited by coopz; 07-09-13 at 02:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast