Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Wow a positve report

AVF Regular

Wow a positve report

"But now Bloomberg is going after a new product: e-cigarettes. Despite the fact that e-cigarettes contain no tobacco (or tar), Bloomberg has decided they should be treated in the same way as traditional cigarettes. Apparently he doesnít care that they have a lower risk profile than tobacco cigarettes and there are numerous health benefits for those that make the switch. Or that the inhaled substance isnít smoke, itís water vapour."

Nanny-in-chief goes after e-cigarettes | Freedomwatch
    mavinry4 and joe like this.

AVF Regular
    Sorry just realised that this thread is probably not what you were all expecting but I was surprised to find we have an advocate that moves in the media circle in Australia.
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 09-09-13 at 03:05 AM.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    He needs to see your vaping with mr beattie vid I bet he'd be able to work his spin doctor voodoo on it.
    GirlyPantz and essiemessy like this.
    Do you know de way 👺

With IPA and the Liberal Party's victory on the weekend, we might see some progress in the electronic cigarette industry.

Just keep in mind that the IPA are funded by Big Tobacco. Whilst the IPA do have the right to enjoy nicotine in mind, It's Big Tobacco's nicotine that they would be pushing.

This doesn't have to be a bad thing: BAT's Vype ecig, RJR's Vuse, Lorrilard's Blu Cig and Phillip Morris' Mark10 may very well become the first official nicotine containing electronic cigarettes on the Australian Market. This would build consumer confidence, and finally put vaping officially permitted.

However, you have to keep a close eye on their tactics. They might turn around and put restrictions of ejuice liquids, so that you can only purchase Big Tobacco's prefilled, non-refillable cartomizers.

That delicious ejuice you were enjoying on TV may not become legally sold within Australia until after Big Tobacco have had their feed, if they ever stop, and the IPA and Liberal Party may very well make sure of that.

But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. There are many ways to attack the Greed of Big Tobacco in the ecig market. If they don't play nice, you can be sure that ejuice advocates wont play nice either.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    With IPA and the Liberal Party's victory on the weekend, we might see some progress in the electronic cigarette industry.
    "Liberal Party" and "progress" used in the same sentence - streuth!

Personally, I don't think the situation we have at the moment could be a lot better. There is virtually no restriction on the importing of juice containing nicotine and we don't even have to pay GST on it.

The longer it takes someone in Government to realise that there's a buck to be made, the better in my opinion. You can guarantee it won't be the consumer laughing all the way to the bank.

joe
    'FREEDOM WATCH' hehehe
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs Johnson View Post
    "Liberal Party" and "progress" used in the same sentence - streuth!

Personally, I don't think the situation we have at the moment could be a lot better. There is virtually no restriction on the importing of juice containing nicotine and we don't even have to pay GST on it.

The longer it takes someone in Government to realise that there's a buck to be made, the better in my opinion. You can guarantee it won't be the consumer laughing all the way to the bank.
    I beg to differ.

Freight charges for nicotine liquid imports can reach up to $70 in some cases.

If we could purchase nicotine liquids locally, I sure that we would save money. But it's also the convenience. If vapers knew they could purchase nicotine locally, I doubt many would bother stock piling anymore.

It would also boost the market. If vendors such as Vapebar, Vapeking, Juicewhore, VapingMad, VapingCobra etc could sell their ejuices with nicotine, tobacco smoking would drop significantly in only a short time.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 09-09-13 at 05:16 PM.

tobacco smoking would drop significantly in only a short time.
    That's probably right, but as tobacco smoking drops, so does the huge tax revenue the government gets from it.

They'd have to find something else to tax. Nicotine juice would be an obvious choice.
    GirlyPantz and margyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs Johnson View Post
    That's probably right, but as tobacco smoking drops, so does the huge tax revenue the government gets from it.

They'd have to find something else to tax. Nicotine juice would be an obvious choice.
    I'm sure try'll try, but how can/will they justify it?

I've been paying close attention to CASAA, especially Greg Connoly as they've been battling with this exact problem. Big Tobacco actually, have been pushing for higher taxes in attempt to even the playing feild, not just the state governments. CASAA have been quite successful this year.

In the end, the Aus Government will have to justify why they need more revenue, when they claim smoking related health costs are over $30 Billion dollars.

They recieve 7.5Billion in cigarette tax revenue. What about that $22.5 Billion in saved health costs? They'll have to explain why they are taxing nicotine liquids, when they've saved so much already?
    Last edited by mavinry4; 09-09-13 at 06:33 PM.
    GirlyPantz, margyb and spud like this.

I beg to differ.

Freight charges for nicotine liquid imports can reach up to $70 in some cases.

If we could purchase nicotine liquids locally, I sure that we would save money. But it's also the convenience. If vapers knew they could purchase nicotine locally, I doubt many would bother stock piling anymore.

It would also boost the market. If vendors such as Vapebar, Vapeking, Juicewhore, VapingMad, VapingCobra etc could sell their ejuices with nicotine, tobacco smoking would drop significantly in only a short time.
    Very unlikely we will save money vs buying a reasonable amount to offset the freight once the evil bastard regulation tax is added. At best it will be more convenient and cheaper if you are buying very small orders regularly. I import all sorts of parts for my business; I buy domestic when I can, if the vendor isnt being rude with their pricing. For stuff that sometimes involves very little to no pre or post sale support, no brick and mortar premises etc. I have no idea how we let them get away with what they do (i'm not talking about vaping here specifically, but from what ive seen its not that cheap either and they havent even started being taxed hard yet). I dont expect to compete with China on price alone, nor should we try, but similar pricing to the US is not unreasonable.

here in Au we have a reasonably strong economy, reasonably strong dollar even now, yet we often pay 150-300% or more vs what things cost elsewhere, even after the currency conversion is taken into account. I have no reason to believe it will be any different here and is likely to be worse given our form on Cigs. our tobacco pricing is some of the worst in the world and shocks every international visitor.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 09-09-13 at 07:11 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast