Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By pgscott
  • 2 Post By pgscott

Thread: Carl V Phillips commentary on Lancet Study

Carl V Phillips commentary on Lancet Study

I think this is an excellent piece that puts the study (as good as it is for vapers) into proper perspective.

Anti-THR Lies and related topics | because cultivating the truth requires both seeding and weeding
    margyb and Old Dog like this.

AVF Regular
    They only used 16mg/ml ecig cartridges so that would account for a lot

"Methods We did this pragmatic randomised-controlled superiority trial in Auckland, New Zealand, between Sept 6, 2011, and July 5, 2013. Adult (≥18 years) smokers wanting to quit were randomised (with computerised block randomisation, block size nine, stratified by ethnicity [Māori; Pacific; or non-Māori, non-Pacific], sex [men or women], and level of nicotine dependence [>5 or ≤5 Fagerström test for nicotine dependence]) in a 4:4:1 ratio to 16 mg nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine patches (21 mg patch, one daily), or placebo e-cigarettes (no nicotine), from 1 week before until 12 weeks after quit day, with low intensity behavioural support via voluntary telephone counselling. The primary outcome was biochemically verified continuous abstinence at 6 months (exhaled breath carbon monoxide measurement <10 ppm). Primary analysis was by intention to treat. This trial is registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry, number ACTRN12610000866000.:

"Further- more, users consumed on average just over one cartridge per day, delivering around only 20% of the nicotine obtained from cigarette smoking. Although trials of the effects of early e-cigarettes on withdrawal relief showed that low levels of nicotine delivery attenuated with drawal symptoms improved nicotine delivery by newer models of e-cigarettes provides greater withdrawal relief, potentially enhancing cessation effectiveness. Trials of such second generation e-cigarettes are needed."

At least we got a copy of the lancet

http://download.thelancet.com/flatco...3613618425.pdf
    Last edited by margyb; 09-09-13 at 06:54 PM.

It always frustrates me that these studies are so poorly conducted. I think the point that Phillips is alluding towards is the fact that ecigs are consumer products. They work as consumer products, their potential lies in them being consumer products.

These kinds of studies have almost an inbuilt institutional bias or barrier to testing them as consumer products. Namely, given the amount of choices available to the consumer both in terms of the devices and nicotine percentages it is precisely the ability of the consumer to customize their own use and experience that makes them so potentially successful.

The problem with these studies is that they are set up for the benefit of the tester, set up in a manner that is likely to win them publication, that fits certain criteria for scientific papers. What is always sacrificed is the autonomy of the user to find their own sweet spot. The autonomy of the user is always sacrificed to fit a specified criteria in order to earn publication.

Like Phillips I think it is a mistake to get too excited about these studies. It is better than nothing I suppose, but I fear very much the medicalization of ecigs. These studies do nothing to put e-cigs into their proper context - which is as a consumer product.
    margyb and Old Dog like this.